PDA

View Full Version : Legacy OpenGL(?)

Chrizto
02-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Can someone please tell me what the Legacy OpenGL option in General Display Options do?

Why and/or when should this be enabled?

It says nothing about it in the Modeler documentation... (or I've missed it)
:phone_cal

Tobian
02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
It's basically a feature in case your graphics card can't cope with the advanced OpenGL display that LW is capable of making: if it's not compatible with an old Graphics card, in which case you'd enable it. Otherwise it's not worth using, as it's no faster than using the 'multitexture' mode, which is pretty fast on most systems! :)

Chrizto
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
That brings up my next question!
I've set up Modeler to use GLSLShaders. My GPU supports OpenGL 2.1 and shader model 4.0, and has a gig of ram.

Is this the preferred setting on a machine with a decent GPU?:newhere:

Tobian
02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
GLSL is really only needed if you want to preview models with several layers of textures or procedurals on them (and only some procedurals are supported). If you're just working and modelling, I seriously recommend multitexture, as I have quite a decent GPU and my models move round like a dog in GLSL and like a dream in multitexture.... I can spin round more than 2.5 million poly's with my graphics card comfortably with multitexture mode.. in GLSL it more or less comes to a grinding halt and sometimes crashes if I tried that with GLSL :D