PDA

View Full Version : PLG UV tools question????

JeffrySG
02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to select your UV splits outside of the PLG tools and then have PLG use your selection???

My split lines are complicated and it's taking forever to do in PLG so I want to select them with the normal LW selection tools.

Is this possible?? if so how???

:help::help::help:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CORE HAVE GREAT UV TOOLS.

JeffrySG
02-09-2009, 10:22 PM
It really makes me so frustrated not to have UV tools that work.....

Giacomo99
02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
3DCoat is only US$120. Buy it.

Sande
02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
You probably already knew this, but it may help a lot to cut your model in smaller pieces in several layers and then apply PLG. I almost always do it like that, so I don't have to cut every seam at once - so in a way you can use LW's usual tools to cut (some of your) seams... :)

Proper edge loops also help a lot, when you can just use the advance edge-option in PLG and open large seams at once.

JeffrySG
02-10-2009, 12:06 AM
^thx for the suggestion...

But is there a way to do a loop select in LW and have PLG use that loop select as the UV seam?

JeffrySG
02-10-2009, 12:07 AM
3DCoat is only US$120. Buy it.

I'll look into it... I don't do a ton of UV mapping but when I need to it's usually for a rush job. I'll have to re-examine 3DC again. :)

Although, I must admit that I really am hoping to hear that CORE will have some at least decent UV tools for us.

SplineGod
02-10-2009, 12:33 AM
I use this to split edges.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23120&d=1126242066

Sande
02-10-2009, 03:10 AM
But is there a way to do a loop select in LW and have PLG use that loop select as the UV seam?

Not that I know of. Usually PLG's advance edge-option works pretty good for me though - have you tried adjusting the Advance threshold?

Selecting edges can sometimes be a bit tricky with PLG as you have to hit exactly to the middle of the edge...

jasonwestmas
02-10-2009, 07:57 AM
^thx for the suggestion...

You can do a loop select; then cut it; paste it; split the edge all the way down the side if the piece is an enclosed piece of geometry(PLG UV needs an open edge to properly layout the UV); Select a poly; Then do a "select connected" operation to select the entire piece you wish to UV map; Use the PLG Edit UV plugin and make sure your numerical panel is open and with your piece fully selected just hit the make UV button.

Now this can be cumbersome if you have a lot of pieces to unwrap so in that case I would just use the edge selection that PLG UV Edit has to define where the boarder of the UV shell or Island will be.

bazsa73
02-10-2009, 08:37 AM
use the "advance edge" in PLG edit

JeffrySG
02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I use this to split edges.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23120&d=1126242066

Thanks Larry... I think I heard about that plugin, I'm on a mac unfortunately. ;)

JeffrySG
02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Not that I know of. Usually PLG's advance edge-option works pretty good for me though - have you tried adjusting the Advance threshold?
Selecting edges can sometimes be a bit tricky with PLG as you have to hit exactly to the middle of the edge...
I'll have to fool with the PLG settings. I know that if you control click it will follow the path between selections but it's not super accurate all the time. I didn't know about adjusting the advance threshold setting.

Now this can be cumbersome if you have a lot of pieces to unwrap so in that case I would just use the edge selection that PLG UV Edit has to define where the boarder of the UV shell or Island will be.
Thx!

use the "advance edge" in PLG edit
I'll have to look at that. I don't think I know what it did. I'll test it out today.

I finished it up just by selecting and using the control-select with the PLG tools, but I was pretty frustrated at that point. It was late and I wanted to get the project done already so I was looking for a quicker solution than selecting my boarder manually and so slowly. I appreciate all of the tips and suggestions everyone! :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
02-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Ok, so I didn't know that the 'advance edge' was actually like a loop select. This actually did what I wanted. I thought I tried it last night but I guess not. Well... now I know. That would have saved me 40min of frustration at 2 in the morning! lol

EDIT: actually... I just re-tested it on the actual model and maybe I did try it last night. The advance edge didn't really work on my subd model, but it did work after I froze the model. I tried all different angle settings but it didn't really go very far on the subd model. If I turn of subd it does work a little better by getting each side individually. I guess this still would have saved some time in the end.

Thanks again all!

zardoz
02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
in one of the lightwave versions there was a unwrap plugin...newtek 'removed it' because they said they were not happy with it but I kept it 'unwrap.p' I guess. You can select edges in modeler and then use unwrap to create the uv map.