PDA

View Full Version : So what's the point of HardCORE?

Dionysios
02-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Alright, I think I'm confused (or others are confused) about the hardCORE membership. I'm reading it as "pay us $395 and we'll let you become beta testers for the new software and we'll give you a discount on the final product when it's ready." At first I was all set to sign up, as I thought the $395 included the final CORE build that will be released at the end of 2009, but that's not what it says when you go to sign up. It lists "special pricing" as a benefit of hardCORE membership. So you still have to pay to upgrade your license at the end of it all.

$695 is the listed price for an upgrade to CORE, my guess is you pay $395 now for the membership, and then pay $395 down the road for the final version.

I'm also confused about other aspects to this whole thing and can't believe so many people have jumped on it without adequate explainations as to what you get. For example, the order page lists "continued updates to lightwave 9", does that mean I won't get Lw9 updates unless I join? And what's the COCOA version of lightwave?

Also, is Newtek stopping it's truly awesome policy of giving free updates once CORE is released? Is hardCORE basically just a subscription service like Autodesk (and others) offer? It smells to me like the company that used to be "best value out of the box" is becoming "gimme, gimme, gimme!"

I'm not saying this to be antagonistic or trash talk LW, it is by far my favorite 3d app, but I just don't undertand. Please, someone enlighten me. Why is this worth $400?

Hopper
02-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Why is this worth $400?

1) You will get the final version of LightWave Core.
2) There was already a fairly long explanation by Jim as to what the pricing and membership means.
3) Is it worth it to you to buy the upgrade now for $400 or wait until you see more and pay more later. Your choice... either way.
4) The COCOA version of LightWave is for 64bit Mac

All of your concerns have been discussed in other threads. You may want to visit those and get some more information and opinions of others also. Not everything is crystal clear as you have pointed out, but the other threads have some very good information for you to base your decisions on.

tribbles
02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
And you get a t-shirt :)

Dionysios
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
So where is the explaination by Jim? I think I missed it.

Hopper
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
So where is the explaination by Jim? I think I missed it.
The thread wasn't obviously titled.. It was part of an apology by Jim about the whole reveal thing.. I guess I could have mentioned that ..

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94787

MAUROCOR
02-09-2009, 01:20 PM

DBMiller
02-09-2009, 01:22 PM
What I don't get is how anyone could still be asking this same thing over and over. There are many posts answering this (including posts from NewTek employees) as well as information on the program at the Core site http://www.newtek.com/core/.

And, of course there is this post:

Dionysios
02-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for your help.

Hopper
02-09-2009, 01:25 PM
What I don't get is how anyone could still be asking this same thing over and over. There are many posts answering this (including posts from NewTek employees) as well as information on the program at the Core site http://www.newtek.com/core/.
Well, in anyone's defense... the Core page leaves a lot off unanswered questions and isn't crystal clear. People can easily get frustrated and simply post a question. I can understand where they are coming from. I am a bit impatient at times and it's hard to find any definitive answers in a giant pool of random "Core" threads where everyone is bouncing around features, beta 'memberships' and 'what-ifs'.

JeffrySG
02-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Why are there so many songs about rainbows? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eubQfKYFOPc)

kopperdrake
02-09-2009, 02:51 PM
What I can't understand is why people resort to asking on the forum rather than picking up a phone and asking the company in question!

I had the same question - did the $395 include a release of LW CORE, so rather than stick my finger in the wind of similarly confused people, I did that radical thing and stumped up the cash and phoned NewTek who, after a very polite and brief conversation, let me know what I needed to know.

I wish more people would take the initiative, it would save all of this.

Dionysios
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
What I can't understand is why people resort to asking on the forum rather than picking up a phone and asking the company in question!

I had the same question - did the $395 include a release of LW CORE, so rather than stick my finger in the wind of similarly confused people, I did that radical thing and stumped up the cash and phoned NewTek who, after a very polite and brief conversation, let me know what I needed to know.

I wish more people would take the initiative, it would save all of this.

Look, man, this is the type of basic info that should be stated clearly on the website. Besides, I don't have time to call, wait on hold, and have a conversation about it with someone. I asked legitimate questions that I and others wanted the answer to. Why are you bothering to post stupid responses that have nothing to do with the the purpose of the post? I'm glad you know how to use the phone, but keep yous smart *** comments to yourself, douche.

colkai
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Ouch, mistaka to maka. Not exactly a high ground riposte that.

kopperdrake
02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Look, man, this is the type of basic info that should be stated clearly on the website. Besides, I don't have time to call, wait on hold, and have a conversation about it with someone. I asked legitimate questions that I and others wanted the answer to. Why are you bothering to post stupid responses that have nothing to do with the the purpose of the post? I'm glad you know how to use the phone, but keep yous smart *** comments to yourself, douche.

If I have a question about a product, especially a new product that only the developer knows anything about, I don't post it on a forum frequented by the potential users of said product. Call me professional if you will, but I call the horse and talk to it. It took 5 minutes, it cost me minimal, the earth is still turning and my extremely busy schedule still ran like clockwork. I save time by not browsing the forum waiting for an obscure answer by an obscure individual who likely as not knows diddly squat about the product.

This is in no way meant to be a stupid response or a smart arse comment. If I'd wanted to give that impression I'd have simply posted this link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2047424_phone-call.html

UnCommonGrafx
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
hahaha,
And then they started throwing mashed potatoes at each other...

Koperdrake, you know if people did that it wouldn't serve NT's purpose: viral is viral afterall.
Still laughing... someone said douche 'round here...