PDA

View Full Version : none of pdf bookmarks are working for manuals?

3dWannabe
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I just downloaded all the manuals for 9.6.

I can see the bookmarks (Chapter 1 - Lightwave 3d getting Started), etc.

But, when I click on them in Acrobat Pro 7, the bookmark links do not take me to the proper page. They do nothing.

I can click on the bookmarks for Apple's Motion pdf and go right to the page.

I'm perplexed. Are the bookmarks 'display only' - and non-functional?

iluxa
02-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes. I have such in foxit pdf reader

3dWannabe
02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
If I open in Acrobat 9 Reader, the bookmarks work. But then I don't have the ability to highlight (essential for a manual) - and I only have Acrobat 7 Pro installed on my development box (where bookmarks DO NOT work).

I've never seen this before. Did NewTek compile the pdfs for a certain version of Acrobat? Generally, you create for Acrobat 5, unless you are using some specific feature of a later version?

Korvar
02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
There's a guide to the PDFs (and the downloaded files in general): http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94245

Basically, the PDF guides need to be renamed and put in the correct directories for the bookmarks to find them. It's to accommodate those who might download the screen or print versions.

3dWannabe
02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Korvar - I read that guide and renamed the pdfs.

Still no working bookmarks.

I only downloaded the screen versions, do I need both?

Also, not sure it makes sense, as I could copy the Modeler manual to another XP box - and have the bookmarks work using Acrobat 9 Reader - without ANY of the other manual pdfs in the folder.

Greenlaw
02-09-2009, 12:18 PM
The 9.6 documentation .pdf bookmarks have not worked for me either, and I'm using Adobe Acrobat 9 here. I fogbugz-ed this quite a while ago, and keep hoping they'll update the docs. (Bookmarks in previous versions worked fine, btw.)

I believe the instructions for renaming the files allow installed shortcuts to find the .pdf files, and have nothing to do with the embedded bookmarks.

3dWannabe
02-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Greenlaw - hmmm. I don't understand this at all. I posted a msg on the Adobe forum.

With my Pro version, I can see that the doc was created by Adobe's InDesign 3 and set for pdf version 1.4 (acrobat 5 and above) - so they should work in all version with no issues.

But, to a trial users, with only the pdfs, a lot of small things (well, with no printed manuals, this is not a small thing for such a large set of manuals) seem to fall thru the cracks (broken links in registration email, etc.) - that might discourage new users.

On positive side, certainly seems like a great program!

Greenlaw
02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm using the free version of Acrobat 9 here at work, and none of the bookmarks in the LW 9.6 docs work.

I do have the Pro version of Acrobat 9 on my laptop, so I'll check to see if the bookmarks work on that system.

Greenlaw
02-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I'm back. FWIW, I just tried all the 9.6 docs with Acrobat 9 Professional on my laptop and the bookmarks don't work there either.

Greenlaw

3dWannabe
02-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Greenlaw - my case is the opposite. Reader 9 (on XP) will work with bookmarks, Pro 7 will not work.

Greenlaw
02-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Greenlaw - my case is the opposite. Reader 9 (on XP) will work with bookmarks, Pro 7 will not work.

Weird.

On the chance that they updated the docs, I just now downloaded the Layout Screen version and tried that in Acrobat 9 Professional, but the embedded bookmarks still seem broken. Just to be sure the problem wasn't with Acrobat 9 Professional, I opened a couple of docs for earlier versions of LightWave, and the bookmarks seem to work fine.

I wonder if the bookmarks for the 9.6 docs will work with a non-Adobe .pdf reader? I noticed that there exists a few Open Source .pdf readers but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Greenlaw

3dWannabe
02-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't know. I only know that there seems to be a problem with the pdf's (only their pdfs) - and I'd appreciate it if they would fix them. What's the protocol for reporting a problem?

Greenlaw
02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I already fogbugz-ed it, so they should be aware of it. I haven't heard anything yet though.

Greenlaw