PDA

View Full Version : Don't get BLASTED

meshmaster
08-13-2003, 09:59 AM
http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43185

mrunion
08-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Just a note. Some may be ignoring these reports but http://www.sarc.com has posted about a "B" version just a little while ago. they have no info on it, but it looks like it is a different "strain".

gjjackson
08-13-2003, 11:11 AM
I hope people take this very seriously. This can be mutated to do some very destructive attacks. Since I've been online for about ten minutes I've already had six attack attempts. Make that seven.

Death to all those attempt this hacking, insecure bastards who can't get a date.

Our company had to shut down every computer in the company, and these include computers that regulate your natural gas. How stupid can these idiots be. If someone were to do some malicious vandalism we wouldn't know it.

meshmaster
08-13-2003, 11:36 AM
Blame Alqaeda - it was terrorist so now we need to have an army descend upon Redmond since it's MS's fault for making insecure products.

kirkmorger
08-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Don't you hate buggy worms?

I doubt very much the worms creator(s) knew it would potentially crash the host computer.

Bionic Antboy
08-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by gjjackson
Our company had to shut down every computer in the company, and these include computers that regulate your natural gas. How stupid can these idiots be. If someone were to do some malicious vandalism we wouldn't know it.

Just out of curiosity... when you say "regulate YOUR natural gas", do you mean of your company, or does your company provide natural gas to consumers or other businesses?

Seems a dangerous platform to operate on for a task like that.

silvergun
08-13-2003, 04:44 PM
What's a Virus?

Good luck lads your gonna need it :))

Bionic Antboy
08-13-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by silvergun
What's a Virus?

Good luck lads your gonna need it :))

Punk :)

I guess you also ask.... What's a game? too, eh? ;)

silvergun
08-13-2003, 05:10 PM
A game is something you play on a console which you dont need to keep constantly updating with patches because of problems with graphics cards. Now run along and play a god sim. And before I forget, be sure to backup your hard drive

silvergun
08-13-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm Only Joking guys. Beware the bug and let's hope micropants sort it out as soon as possible

gjjackson
08-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Bionic Antboy
Just out of curiosity... when you say "regulate YOUR natural gas", do you mean of your company, or does your company provide natural gas to consumers or other businesses?

Seems a dangerous platform to operate on for a task like that.

We ARE the natural gas distributor here for the city. Unfortunately the software is written only for Windows so there's no choice there. The computer here monitors everything in the field, it doesn't do the actual control, although it's used to change the field units. The problem is while monitoring. If we lose THIS system it means we can't monitor the field units. Therefore if something happens in the field while the host is down we wouldn't be aware of it until a customer would call in. Or if it would be a tearout someone would know immediately.

BTW. A couple years ago the main computer was infected with a malicious virus which corrupted files. I was unaware of it until the system started crashing. I had to work 43hrs straight through until it was back online. It was no easy task. I'll never forget it. For that reason I totally despise these hacker types. If their caught they should NEVER be allowed to use a computer again. Instead too many companies hire these idiots because they've gained knowledge on security. So now, many of these hackers do what they do as job prep. They damage property and then tell the companies they want a job. And these companies end up hiring them. They don't seem to realize they're propagating this behaviour.

meshmaster
08-18-2003, 08:35 PM
I was unaware of it until the system started crashing. I had to work 43hrs straight through until it was back online.
I bet that a firewall closing a certain port that let that in would have saved you a lot of time - and that installing that firewall would have taken less than an hour... I hate it when a lazy administrator blames everybody else because they didn't do their job.