PDA

View Full Version : Lost my discs

shrox
02-09-2009, 05:06 AM
I misplaced the discs for LW, but I have the dongle and manuals, what might it cost just to get the discs?

cresshead
02-09-2009, 05:10 AM
everything on the discs is downloadable from 'your downloads' i 'think' so you could burn you own if you had to.

if you ask nicely i'm sure newtek europe could send you some replacements though...they even sent me lw5.6 discs when i was using lightscape for zero cost.

shrox
02-09-2009, 06:06 AM
everything on the discs is downloadable from 'your downloads' i 'think' so you could burn you own if you had to.

if you ask nicely i'm sure newtek europe could send you some replacements though...they even sent me lw5.6 discs when i was using lightscape for zero cost.

Thanks,

I didn't even think of the download page.

mattclary
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
You will want 9.6 anyway, so no need for disks!

DiscreetFX
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
@shrox

We are in a similar boat. We can't find our LW3D dongle.

dsol
02-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Losing the dongle is much more serious than losing the discs - you'll need to contact NT support about that and I think it's handled very much on a case-by-case basis (since the dongle effectively IS the license for Lightwave).

Hopefully CORE will be moving to a software-based licensing scheme and my rabid fears of one day losing my dongle will be a thing of the past! :)

mattclary
02-09-2009, 12:29 PM
@shrox

We are in a similar boat. We can't find our LW3D dongle.

OUCH!!! That's night and day!

DiscreetFX
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
@dsol

LW3D still works on our VT[5], so we will hoping to look around some more and find the dongle to the additional license of version 9. It's got to be around here somewhere. Maybe Hottie has it, moving sucks.

lwanmtr
02-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Unless you can use an activation key (without internet activation) and it's EASY to move from machine to machine - I want to KEEP the dongle.

:agree: There was a time when I didnt like the dongle, but it makes it easier to use on multiple machines and doesnt require me to hook up to the internet or anything like that. In cases where a dongle dies, NT are very quick at replacements.

Derrick_SA
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
I really prefer the dongle by a mile, I mean sometimes your with your laptop, where there is no internet connection, you feel like working in LW, and you can, why, CAUSE YOU GOT A DONGLE.

It's one of the best features of LW for me!!

- Derrick

doimus
02-10-2009, 01:06 AM
I never ever had LW9 discs - bought it as download and downloadable it is still.

But "lost dongle" scares are really the ugly aspect of LW. I don't have anything against the dongle, but it's the dongle owners (lack of) memory that worries me. :)

lwanmtr
02-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Well, look at Maya, for instance...it's tied to your mac address..if your ethernet goes down for whatever reason, you're in the same situation..except it's more expensive to fix, and probably a pain to get a new license from AD.

Intuition
02-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Actually, now that you mention it. I ordered a box delivery for LW 9 and never got it.