PDA

View Full Version : Sentinel driver install problem

impactvids
02-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I have been using the LW 7.5/3DA BUNDLE on my previous computer, and have moved recently to a new computer (core 2 Quad, 32bit Vista Ultimate, 4 Gig {3 usable in 32bit OS})

When the program was installed on the new computer, icons for LW as well as Modeler show up on the desktop, but neither will work. When the LW icon is clicked, I get a message which reads that Lightwave cannot be initiated. With Modeler, I get an error 212 message.

I believe the probelm might be with the Sentinel drivers. When the Dongle was attached and then Lightwave/3DA installation procedure attempted, a message came up which stated that and upgraded driver is available and must be installed. I clikced OK for this, but a few seconds into the download, a message comes up with an error related to an "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RAINBOW TECHNOLOGIES\SENTINEL SYSTEM DRIVER".

This file name may not be exact since I wrote it down by pen, but is close. The dowonload dialog box goes away after running into this message. Prior to the Upgraded driver message a warning message is displayed that any interuption of the driver download would result in no driver on the system, since the older one is deleted first. However, I cannot get past the HKEY.... message in order to install, and the LW/3DA seems to need the upgraded driver. After the error message went away I continued wit hthe LW/3da install, but this apparently occured without any Sentinel drivers possible precipitating the errors when the icons were clicked. Any ideas?

I did successfully install the LW/3DA on my previous computer and it worked fine (Core 2 Duo, 3 Gig, 32bit, Vista Home Basic).

If there is no way to surmount the Sentinel drive upgrade issue, can a folder or files be copied from the old computer and move to the new one?

Help is greatly appreciated .

Jeff Deuitch
Palmetto, FL

Dexter2999
02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Did you try to uninstall/re-install ?

impactvids
02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Did you try to uninstall/re-install ?

Yes, I finally did that (uniinstalled the Sentinel driver and just pluged the dongle in prior to the LW reinstall) and it worked. LW and Modeler both open properly when the icons are clicked.

However, there is another issue. In order to allow 3DA to appear as a tab in LW, you are supposed to replace 3 config files in the Documents and Settings folder with the config files of the same name contained in a 3DA folder. The config files from the basic LW install are supposed to be contained in the Docments and Settings folder. However, the new computer has no Documents and Settings folder. Both LW and 3DA are contained in folders in the C drive. I did a computer-wide search for the config files (lw3 and 2 others) and the search did not turn up any files by those names other that the ones located in 3DA. Therefore I do not know where to copy these configs to in order for 3DA to work inside the LW software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for everyones help.

Jeff Deuitch
Palmetto, FL

Dexter2999
02-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Might have better luck getting help with that down in the 3DA specific part of the forum.