PDA

View Full Version : Sound effects

Skonk
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm wanting to put some sound effects to a flying logo animation but i'v had almost no experience at this sort of thing.

It's just for a bit of fun so it's not going to be anything fancy but does anyone know of some decent software for generating sounds (long rumbles, engine type noises, whooshing sounds etc)?

I have access to a midi controler so something that would allow me to control things via the sliders would be nice :)

Tnx.

warrenwc
02-08-2009, 12:17 PM
I've used blowing into the mike , electric screwdrivers & slowed samples of creaky hinges.
If you've got a halfway decent sound editor(Audacity will do), then anything can be a sound effect.

cresshead
02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
try this>

http://www.soundsnap.com/

biliousfrog
02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
search for free sound effects on google.

archijam
02-08-2009, 12:42 PM
A nice resource there, thanks cress -

Also curious as you are skonk if there is a 'procedural' way to generate some effects.

Slightly OT:
I have a midiman oxygen8 midicontroller keyboard, which since OS X Tiger is unrecognised by the computer. Still works fine with the original drivers in XP.

Any tips/generic drivers to get it running in Leopard?

/OT

Skonk
02-08-2009, 12:42 PM
It's not really sound files i'm after but rather some software that has generators (fruity loops, reason etc) but that is more geared towards sound effects rather than music.

No idea ofcourse if software like that exists :)

@archijam - I have an M-Audio Oxygen 49 here beside me, I just have no idea how to use it :)

What I was imagining is having lets say a nice engine/rumble going and then using automation to have it manipulate the sound via a slider on the midi controller, so I could play back the video and match the sound too it (object getting closer or moving away etc) by moving the slider.

Skonk
02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
That said, I guess I could just do it with sound files in audition. I can probably hook the midi controller up to control the mixer and use automation to record the changes.

I'l check out those sites you listed guys, thanks :)

archijam
02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
@archijam - I have an M-Audio Oxygen 49 here beside me, I just have no idea how to use it :)

What I was imagining is having lets say a nice engine/rumble going and then using automation to have it manipulate the sound via a slider on the midi controller, so I could play back the video and match the sound too it (object getting closer or moving away etc) by moving the slider.

Nice, sounds doable ..

I really like the keyboard, it's tough and I know exactly how to use it in cubase. I mainly use it for pitchshifting samples similar to what you mention, and recording drum timings. Actually I never play a melody into it :)

I saw T.Raumshmire dancing around on stage with the Oxygen8 - probably just cause it's cheap enough to destroy at the end of a show :)

Problem is I'm now trying to use Ableton Live for mac and the damn thing is invisible - the computer just doesn't see it. Seems Avid have moved on with their product line, there is no driver available any more ..

Keep us posted!