PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator Logos into Lightwave

Stephen0523
02-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi.
I am fairly new to Lightwave.
I am using 9.6.
I have a lot of Clients asking me to convert their logos into 3d which I have created in Illustrator CS3.

Is there a trick/shortcut/plugin/tutorial that can make the transition easier?
I am using a Mac Pro with 16GB Ram.

PointC
02-08-2009, 11:02 AM
There is a training video about EPS files and LW here:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials.php

Cheers

Stephen0523
02-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks. Going through it now. I was hoping for a quicker way though.

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I've had mixed success with importing Illustrator files. If it's a lot of curves, you may lose some detail. I had a complex design I was trying to import and somebody ended up helping me with it. In the end though, I ended up doing a lot of editing once I got it into LW. That was a while ago though so it may be different now.

Stephen0523
02-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks. I will do it the standard way to at least get through it, but it would be a great thing to see LW have an Importer (or maybe Illustrator have an Exporter) created.

Sekhar
02-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I haven't looked at the tut above, but the process for AI to LW is pretty straightforward. Just save the AI file in Illustrator 8 format (very important!) and import (File->Import->EPSF Loader). That's it.

Play with the options during import and you'll figure it out. One common setting is when you have compound paths in the AI file - in those cases, select the Auto AxisDrill so you get the holes pre-made.

archijam
02-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks. Going through it now. I was hoping for a quicker way though.

What could be easier that importing an EPS?

There are a few things to be aware of:
Cleaning up the geometry in AI first will help. I often 'add points' to my paths many times, then simplify - convert to lines, and thus change complex curves into elegant but straight-line-based vectors.

Solid colours will import as surfaces, un-filled surfaces (lines) will import as line segments.

The main problem I have noticed with people new to this is that they bring too much info into LW (or whatever app).

The trick is to throw away and clean up any layers you don't need, inside illustrator. Often the effect, gradients, fake reflections etc. shapes you don't need any more, because the 3D object will show those properties itself.

Stephen0523
02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks. Will work at it.

Stephen0523
02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi. Just trying your tutorial with 9.6. Having a few issues. Is it posible to upload a similar tutorial with screen grabs of the panels (settings) along with instructions?

Stephen Thompson

meatycheesyboy
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Here is a short html tutorial that shows step by step how to bring a logo into modeler from Illustrator. Besides the very begining where I'm in Illustrator though, I don't say anything in here that is drastically different than what William said so I don't know how useful this'll be.

http://www.yourzombieboyfriend.com/LogoToModeler/

Also, please forgive the look of the page, I literally threw this together in 15 minutes after reading this thread. In the future after I get my website up properly, I might go back and re-type this with better formatting.

Stephen0523
02-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Thanks very much for this. I will give it a try.