PDA

View Full Version : Those who have joined Hardcore...

dmack
02-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm intersted to see how the membership of Hardcore breaks down in terms of users.

So, here's the poll....

warrenwc
02-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Holy --
Well beta testing does favor those of us with more time & fewer (or no) deadlines:)
oops. just saw there are only 4 responses so far-
never mind.

dmack
02-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Great to see the results so far, hardcorer's keep the voting coming....

geothefaust
02-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Other:

It's not my primary source of income; Yet.

dmack
02-09-2009, 01:48 AM
geothefaust, the poll is a snapshot, so you should go in the "hobbyist - I don't earn a living..." category because that's you at the moment. :) Good luck starting in this fun industry as a job! :)

So, what major category have i missed off? 7 "others" so far?!?! I even wrote 'best describes'...

RedRowan
02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Voted Hobbyist.

Although I work as a Graphic Designer my interest in 3D is purely personal.

Steve

Hopper
02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Hobbiest - however, I have been doing quite a few product shots for an electronics firm up in Dallas. Quite fun, when there's no pressure.

Beyond that, I'm just a professional computer geek.

mattmgut
02-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Voted Part-Time

Although I would not use the word professional just yet. As an intern architect, I create 3D stills for our clients on an as needed basis. Most of the time I do it at home because I enjoy learning the software. We do get compensated.

Probably should have voted: OTHER

Alliante
02-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Hobbyist, although I have created images & sequences for a few local commercials under contract.

mattclary
02-09-2009, 12:27 PM
A hobbyist who rarely gets to pursue his hobby. :(

All this excitement has me putting aside other time eaters though and using LightWave again for the first time in quite some while.

DXC13
02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Hobbyist .... my inner geek just thrives on 3D ... although someday, perhaps after I retire, I wouldn't mind being part of a projects just for the experience. :thumbsup:

Hopper
02-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I'd be a happier hobbiest if they'd give me access to the Core forums.. :(

MrWyatt
02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I make a living doing 3d. not with Lightwave though...

ejo3rd
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I make a living planning cancer patients radiation therapy on 3D treatment planning systems. One day maybe something different on Lightwave.

4dartist
02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
We upgraded 1 of 5 licenses, will possibly do so for the rest before the march 31st deadline, assuming things feel right.

JohnMarchant
02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I make a living doing 3d. not with Lightwave though...

Slap, Slap :):), maybe Core will change your mind:lightwave:lightwave

JohnMarchant
02-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Whats the other vote for then. People who thought they were buying a DVD player but accidently ended up with LightWave :):):)

grimoirecg
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
The 'other' is probably for people like me - a freelance professional CG artist, who has zero interest in paying to beta test a piece of software I know very little about.
The idea seems crazy to me, but then many of the people on this forum who got so involved in the core thread and build-up seem to think it's all some sort of MMO game.

belseth
02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Last beta I did was unusable until the commercial release so I'm not about to pay for a beta. Sounds like it's being used as an excuse to up the price and change conditions of use while they relaunch the code base. I'm switching to XSI after this project anyway so it makes no sense to waste time on a beta. I've been using LW since the first PC release but it's just too buggy and the character animation is too crude. The bones just don't work right and the IK is a mess. Hopefully they fixed it in the Core version but it makes no sense shifting to it when Maya is $500 more and extremely powerful. I toughed it out for a lot of years but there's no way I'd stay with Lightwave after we finish the film we are doing. It's too bad because we just got a 2,800 theater guarantee from the distributor but I loose 1/3 of my time to crashes and the IK has made my life a living hell. I really do hope Core fixes the mess but it's too little too late for me to stick around.

jackany
02-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Just got cored...

Voted Part Time as I do design/animations and system administration. :compbeati

SBowie
02-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Woohoo! :D

richcz3
02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Self Employed/Contractor. I thought there would by more SE types here.
Although for many reasons - I've been actively taking on less 3D specific work in pursuit of graphics prospects. I'm looking forward to Core changing that. :)

richcz3
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
@belseth
Well put on your experience to this point. I've known of others who had to move onward and upward who were also longtime users of LW. They held out and made "work arounds" for as long as they could. Although NTs use of "Crossing the Threshold" sounds of marketing speak and a used cliche'; some fortunately can hold out a bit longer to see Cores true potential. Core for now, really looks like it can help bring some creative talent back into the Lightwave fold. Congrats on your distribution deal.

jackany
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Just got cored...

Voted Part Time as I do design/animations and system administration. :compbeati

Both self employed...

mattclary
02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
The 'other' is probably for people like me - a freelance professional CG artist, who has zero interest in paying to beta test a piece of software I know very little about.
The idea seems crazy to me, but then many of the people on this forum who got so involved in the core thread and build-up seem to think it's all some sort of MMO game.

I did it because:
1. I believe in NewTek
2. I want to support NewTek
3. I save money by buying now. I have owned every version since 6.x. I know I will buy the next version, why not now? $400 every 1.5 to 2 years is not a very expensive hobby at all. YOU can write it off on your taxes, so what is your excuse?
4. I get to play with the new code ASAP. I am impatient and like new toys.

Lew
02-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I joined because I've been using LW since V2 on the good ol Amiga, don't use it as much as I once did, my job has changed over the years. But I've always loved 3D and Lightwave and just can't stand to drop out of the race, even if I can't run very fast anymore.

grimoirecg
02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I did it because:
1. I believe in NewTek
3. I save money by buying now. I have owned every version since 6.x. I know I will buy the next version, why not now? $400 every 1.5 to 2 years is not a very expensive hobby at all. YOU can write it off on your taxes, so what is your excuse?

My excuses are that I haven't got the time to test code, and I don't like going anywhere blindfolded.
I don't hold allegiances for any software companies, I see them for what they are - commercial manufacturers of tools that I use. You talk about them like a football team that you 'support'.
I don't know that I will buy the next version. That would seem a very premature decision with the information that is currently available.

jaxtone
02-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Your words recall a memory of my first car! It was rusty, damaged and most functions where almost out of order! The reparations drove me over the edge of insanity!

But it was true love, deeply infected by the old saying: Love is blind!

:neener:

My excuses are that I haven't got the time to test code, and I don't like going anywhere blindfolded. I don't hold allegiances for any software companies, I see them for what they are - commercial manufacturers of tools that I use. You talk about them like a football team that you 'support'. I don't know that I will buy the next version. That would seem a very premature decision with the information that is currently available.

A Mejias
02-16-2009, 03:54 AM
ACK! How do you change your vote?

akademus
02-16-2009, 07:12 AM
I haven't yet. Still thinking it over. I need to see something solid to hand over greens.

frantbk
02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I did it because:
1. I believe in NewTek

Number 3 is the the only one I question. Eight-to-ten months from now NewTek will have to do some discount prior to the release of core for all of the fence sitters. All of the money NT has now from membership is from heavy invested lightwave users, people who want to support NT and people believing they will shape core. Will that be enough money for NT?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you made a bad choice, because you didn't. You did what you thought was best for you, and that is your business, not mine. What I'm saying is that savings are still out there.