PDA

View Full Version : UV map an entire character with one seam

Raven100
02-08-2009, 08:46 AM
:thumbsup: hey just finished my alien character and i'm wanting to give him a basic greenish skin with light and dark parts not just plain green. But i don't want seams around the body of where different parts of the UV map end.

How do i go about this? so basically i want to unwrap the UV map so i just get one seem down the back which i can hide.

here is my first character i have made so any tips on things you would change i'd love to hear them.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4203/uvproblemsew5.jpg

UnCommonGrafx
02-08-2009, 09:51 AM
properly placed seams are better/more efficient use of the uv space. While a singular pelt is super-sexy, the cut-up pelt is better.
Really, if this is your first character, give what you have in mind a whirl. (It will be ugly, I tell ya: One seam down the back isn't sufficient.)
You will do yourself wonders by experimenting with seams in different places. And multiple seams, too.

Raven100
02-08-2009, 09:54 AM
okay thanks :D , so you recommend selecting the arm and making a uv map for that then the body then legs ect..

for characters which UV map setting do i use planar ect thankyou

UnCommonGrafx
02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Smile, the one that works.
Sometimes planar, sometimes cylinder. Arms seam (ha!) like they could be cylindrical, right? Go with what looks right. Mistakes are good at this point as they are lessons learned. Hopefully... Share your pelt here.

Derrick_SA
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm just asking, but won't a procedural texture be a solution to create the skin?

- Derrick

Raven100
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
procedural texture rings a bell i'll read about it and see :thumbsup: thanks!

Giacomo99
02-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Also: FYI, the UV unwrapping tools in Lightwave are incredibly primitive and awkward. If you can possibly afford it, get a copy of 3DCoat—it costs abut US$120—and use that instead. (Modo and Blender both apparently have good UV unwrapping capabilities, although I can't speak for ether of those personally.) Basically, you should do your unwrapping in some other program if it's at all possible.

GoneGuy
02-08-2009, 03:18 PM
UV unwrapping is a pretty fundamental skill, one that will always test you and the tools you are using so the more you try the more you will learn.

I use Modo which has good UV tools, but if you are on a PC there is a very good free UV unwrap plugin for Lightwave here (http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm) that unwraps using seams. Steve Warner uses this in the Essential Lightwave 9 book.