PDA

View Full Version : history stack

KillMe
02-08-2009, 07:48 AM
never really thought in detail about this before but was listening to the modcast on luxology and they were talking about lw core and mentioned that history will most likley affect the way we model - that with history we wont be able to cut and paste stuff around so easily

so how do you think that the history stack will affect how we model? will it make some things easier and yet also make some thigns slower and harder?

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 08:14 AM
never really thought in detail about this before but was listening to the modcast on luxology and they were talking about lw core and mentioned that history will most likley affect the way we model - that with history we wont be able to cut and paste stuff around so easily

so how do you think that the history stack will affect how we model? will it make some things easier and yet also make some thigns slower and harder?

When I used XSI last year, I'm not sure I completely grasped this but I was kind of befuddled at first that cutting and pasting wasn't so, well, cut and dry. Pooby could probably speak better about this, but everything seemed to work on an object basis and hierarchy, so when you copied and pasted something, you weren't just pasting in a new piece of geometry, it seemed to be it's own object with it's own hierarchy. I couldn't get it to merge with existing geometry at first until I realized I had to merge them into one object so that they were the same object in the heirarchy of the stack. I hope that's the correct explanation, I don't want to make it more complicated then it might be but that's the way I understood it in XSI. There may have been a more simple way of looking at it.
But I really enjoyed having the history and modifier stack. The stack holds all the modifications you've done to a model, down to individual vertex movements so you can go back at any point, even after you've saved the model and closed out the file, the info remains so the next time you open your file, you can still go back to any point of your modeling process and make changes, or even take them out completely without destroying any other work. However, because it saves all that information, it does make for a bigger footprint so at some point you want to freeze the stack once you are sure that you won't need to go back. You can freeze at any point in the stack, it just freezes below the point you have selected. It is a very powerful way of working and I would rather have it then not.
As far as whether it's easier or harder, I would just say it's different. You'll get used to it and probably like having more control over your scene information.

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Oh, and by the way, what is the link to Lux's modcasts (all of them, not just the recent one if there is one). I'm curious to see what they were saying about history.

KillMe
02-08-2009, 08:31 AM
was just in the most recent one on the site - i'm not a modo person - i did get 101 but ended up back in lightwave anyway - so i dont know if there is an archive of the older ones

IMI
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Oh, and by the way, what is the link to Lux's modcasts (all of them, not just the recent one if there is one). I'm curious to see what they were saying about history.

Yo dude, here: http://www.luxology.com/modcast/

Best to do a right click/save as.

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 10:20 AM
thanks, listening to it now.

Minutes later....

Ok, I listened to the mod, at least the parts that were pertaining to LW. What they were basically saying was that there are some drawbacks to history but also advantages. They were speculating that it would be nice if you could gain the benefits without adding the drawbacks but currently, there's no such implementation anywhere invented yet. So they choose to go without it.

We'll just have to wait and see how they implement it.

GraphXs
02-08-2009, 06:51 PM
I like the Idea of having a history stack, but I sure hope they have some type of modeling layer system. In the urrent LW modeler I would use this as my history stack. Copy/paste new layer, edit, copy/paste, new layer, edit... I liked this becuse it showed my construction history and I could go different modeling directions with the copy/paste method. If it doesn't have this because of "history" can the history be saved with the mesh?

For modeling to me that was one of the plus sides was the layer system in the right upper coner of the screen, from the Core video it doesn't look like it has that? I sure hope it does!

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I liked this becuse it showed my construction history and I could go different modeling directions with the copy/paste method. If it doesn't have this because of "history" can the history be saved with the mesh?

It's possible now that since Core is one application that you may be saving a scene file which will hold that info and not just a mesh file?

dhath45
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi, I just posted about the history stack, and agree what you say, Hrgiger about XSI, as I'm also an XSI user

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94969

Also I at one time was looking at Modo, and realized that Modo doesn't have any kind of
parametric history either.