PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a LW 9.6 (64-bit) for mac intel????

virtualcomposer
02-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Will there be a LW 9.6 for Mac users? I thought the final version of 9.6 was going to be switched over to 64-bit. I'm not ready to switch to Core and would like to make allot of good use out of 9.6. I was really excited about the 64-bit version.

realgray
02-08-2009, 12:00 AM
9.6 can never be a mac 64 bit app. In order for any program to run 64 bit on the mac platform it has to be built from the ground up in cocoa, thus the need for a complete rewrite of lightwave. This is why you can not get 64 bit photoshop CS4 on the mac but you can on windows. Adobe is busy taking the one million lines of code in carbon and rewriting it in cocoa. Currently I know of only two other 3d programs that have been rewritten in cocoa to be a 64 bit Mac app and those are C4D and Houdini. Lightwave being released as a cocoa app really shows tremendous dedication to the mac platform and has made mac users such as myself very happy.

Chilton
02-08-2009, 12:08 AM
All is revealed over here, in the Mac section...

(I normally don't read things in the rest of the forum sections, so I'm glad I saw this thread when I did)

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94773&page=2

It's about halfway down the page, Thine Big Answers. And I answer a few more things in subsequent posts after that, or I'd just link to that single big post.

In short, the Cocoa, 64-bit version of 9.6 will actually see the light of day.

Enjoy!
-Chilton

realgray
02-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Wow, you guys are coding up a storm! Very impressive!

mav3rick
02-08-2009, 03:33 AM
one more reason to give my money to the core.. great newtek!