PDA

View Full Version : Building the Core: Features Comparison table

caesar
02-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I was thinking about building a feature comparison table between LW Core and LW 9.6, Modo, Maya, etc. I think it would be fun while NT is releasing info about and for an eay way to compare it with others 3D packages.
The problem is that I dont know about the other apps. What would you think?

Little example: (Im sorry the table isnt aligned, the page doesnt count spaces )

App LW Core - LW 9.6 - Maya09 - MAX09 - Modo401 -XSI 7 Houdini 9

release 09 Q4 - 2008 - 2008 - 2008 - ?09 - 2008 - 2008

price 1495 845 1000~

render ? 999
nodes

price free free
support (included)

full sdk yes
availble

defalt COLLADA LWO,LWS
format

Other features like multiprocessing, UI themes, history and etc

The final table could be in html text or a picture. What you think?

cresshead
02-07-2009, 06:04 PM
well most apps have a huge feature list...

probably the best thing would be to list out the features of lwcore as they appear and then see if other apps have that feature...this way it could grow the feature list as we get to know more about lw core...

Hopper
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Little example: (Im sorry the table isnt aligned, the page doesnt count spaces )
Just wrap it in a CODE tag and you can use spaces...

Example:

App LW Core - LW 9.6 - Maya09 - MAX09 - Modo401 -XSI 7 Houdini 9

release 09 Q4 - 2008 - 2008 - 2008 - ?09 - 2008 - 2008

price 1495 845 1000~

render ? 999
nodes

price free free
support (included)

full sdk yes
availble

defalt COLLADA LWO,LWS
format

Silkrooster
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Thats a good idea. It may put things into perspective for anybody sitting on the edge debating on getting the core or not. Good luck with it and may it be beneficial.
Silk

Hopper
02-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Thats a good idea. It may put things into perspective for anybody sitting on the edge debating on getting the core or not. Good luck with it and may it be beneficial.
Silk
Yup, but that's big job... It's very similar to creating a compatability matrix for software releases. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

lwanmtr
02-07-2009, 10:05 PM
You should use a spreadsheet for that so you can align columns, etc.. if you dont have one try openoffice.org, its free and even supports m$ files

caesar
02-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Im doing some research...more later

cyatic
02-09-2009, 08:04 AM
I like the idea, i'm just wondering why Newtek isn't doing this. Why are the users trying harder to convince everyone to buy into Hardcore more than Newtek itself? We got some clarification from Jay about the deal, "Hardcore". Why haven't thew boys at Newtek busted out a list of specific features so we could compare and make a better decision. I'm still on the fence on this one. I feel like I'm working the stock market. I'm being asked to invest money in a product that hasn't really been seen yet. There's a feature list, but it's very general in description. If Newtek was to actually put out a little more information, actual features, and maybe some screen shots I would be more inclined to part with my money.

dmack
02-09-2009, 08:19 AM
I like the idea, i'm just wondering why Newtek isn't doing this. Why are the users trying harder to convince everyone to buy into Hardcore more than Newtek itself? We got some clarification from Jay about the deal, "Hardcore". Why haven't thew boys at Newtek busted out a list of specific features so we could compare and make a better decision. I'm still on the fence on this one. I feel like I'm working the stock market. I'm being asked to invest money in a product that hasn't really been seen yet. There's a feature list, but it's very general in description. If Newtek was to actually put out a little more information, actual features, and maybe some screen shots I would be more inclined to part with my money.

Completely agree. I've found it rather frustrating to say the least that after all the hype, the amount of actual info on the product is very low and the amount of demonstrated info is practically zilch. Come on Newtek, you've had a while now since the countdown got to zero...a few screen shots? Some renders done in core? A video demo of some features in action? Just anything frankly!

lwanmtr
02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Actually, I dont think any other company makes a comparison chart either..they dont wanna show their shortcomings.

As for videos and such, they did say they'd be posting more info soon...some sorta weekly thing would be cool. Vids, demos, screens will no doubt start hitting some time after Core goes into beta and things start finalizing.

caesar
02-09-2009, 03:47 PM

:agree:

Actually, I dont think any other company makes a comparison chart either..they dont wanna show their shortcomings.

At least a LW 9.x comparison, but I think it īd a great K.O.

I hope NT is making something proper now. I really admire how Apple do their product marketing- clean and strong ideas, great keynotes andthe like.

cresshead
02-09-2009, 03:49 PM
i'm thinking that the countdown should have been 4 weeks long not two!

lwanmtr
02-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Ya miss quoted...I said that, not cyatic...hehe

A comparison of 9.6, Core, maya, max, xsi, houdini and c4d would be great

Andyjaggy
02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Let's see here.

Core's feature list. Make 3 objects and twist them. Customizable interface. Python.

Hmmmm that's about all I know at this point.