PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Simulations?

MSwengel
02-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I've been really into dynamics lately, and I REALLY want to know how to create semi-realistic water/fluid using Lightwave.

I don't have the dough for RealFlow or any plugins right now.

How can I achieve a somewhat realistic fluid simulation (like pours, splashes, etc) with a stock setup?

Thanks in advance! :help:

MS

ramccombe
02-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't think you will get sufficient results with the current particle system in LightWave. I did some experimenting with Blender and importing into LightWave that worked pretty well. I couldn't figure out how to get motion blur. Blender is free and there is info in these forums regarding the export/import process. There is also a tut at the Blender site regarding fluids. I attached my test. Hope this helps.

jaxtone
02-07-2009, 05:43 PM
MSwengel!

This is something I have shouted for in a long time! Seems like Ive been pretty lonesome until now!

I also feel the RW price rate is totally ininteresting even if the Software probably is ok! But what I have trembled for in years now is that some clever scriptmaker will create a fast, cheap and outstanding smart Liquid plugin for Lighwave!

Now when NT is announcing a whole new foundation for Lightwave through CORE I really really hope for a Liquid and Dynamic collaberation with Nvidias almost real time solutions, (at least I guess so,) will be a fact in a nearby future!

NVIDIA PSYSX and NVIDIA CUDA
PHYSX: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_physx.html
CUDA: http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html#

I've been really into dynamics lately, and I REALLY want to know how to create semi-realistic water/fluid using Lightwave.

I don't have the dough for RealFlow or any plugins right now.

How can I achieve a somewhat realistic fluid simulation (like pours, splashes, etc) with a stock setup?

Thanks in advance! :help:

MS

erikals
02-07-2009, 05:52 PM
check this Blender tutorial,
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91152&page=5
and this,
http://vimeo.com/685843

:)

aidenvfx
02-07-2009, 05:53 PM
If you are just wanting it for training and learning watch both Realflows website for upcoming training and FXPHD.com they just finished a term with realflow where students were able to buy the $200 learning version. However I will warn you RF is great but you need a crazy fast machine. I am running it on a Macbook Pro 2 gigs ram and just to run a 300 frame full rez sim meshed at into about 100hr to do the full sim this is before I export it to have it rendered out.

Wade
02-07-2009, 07:49 PM
about 100hr to do the full sim this is before I export it to have it rendered out.

shazzzzbootttsss! :)

Bookman
02-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Basically if you want to create anything in LW particals that looks like real fluid you will need to create lots of emmiters to do each little part seperatly but in a way like they look like a unified solve for the fluid.

it takes a lot of setup time but in the end it still should look ok, maybe not as presice and RealFlow or maya, or houdini, but if you have the time and your budget is low it's a way to go about it.

erikals
02-07-2009, 09:01 PM
have to say i'd advice to go with Blender though,...

UnCommonGrafx
02-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Blender.
It's a no-brainer today.
Tomorrow may be different; But it ain't here.
Blender is a Doctoral degree, All the Sims of All 3D apps and FREE all wrapped up into Available Today... what's the real question here...

Titus
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Blender, all the way.

MSwengel
02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies, folks. I will definitely check into Blender's simulations.

I actually switched from Blender to Lightwave about 6 months ago, so I'm familiar with it. But I never got into physics. So I'll have to do some research.

Thanks again,
MS

jaxtone
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Doctoral Degree? Explain this please!

Blender.
It's a no-brainer today. Tomorrow may be different; But it ain't here.
Blender is a Doctoral degree, All the Sims of All 3D apps and FREE all wrapped up into Available Today... what's the real question here...

MSwengel
02-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Blender.
It's a no-brainer today.
Tomorrow may be different; But it ain't here.

Actually, Blender does NOT do fire or smoke very well. That's one of the reasons I switched to LW.

It is, however, great for softbody dynamics and caustics. Plus, you can't beat the price. :thumbsup: