PDA

View Full Version : Maya user learning Lightwave. Workflow Tips

fahr
02-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Hi guys,

I used Lightwave for 7 years up until verison 6.5, then left for Maya. I've recently been looking at Lightwave again though, specifically for rendering, and I've found that my workflows have changed considerably. :)

One area that I can't seem to figure out how deal with smoothly is surfacing objects on a per-shot basis.

Say I have 5 shots to do, all of the same environment. Each shot requires that I tweak the surfaces a bit to sweeten the look of things. I also need to set up a couple of custom passes per shot that need me to change the surfaces of each object altogether.

In maya, this is no big deal, but Lightwave references EVERYTHING (which is great, normally), meaning that if I change a surface for one shot and save, I just changed the surface for every shot. The only way I can see around this is to save a separate set of objects for every single shot. This seems very cumbursome, does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this situation?

Thanks!!

Cageman
02-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi guys,

I used Lightwave for 7 years up until verison 6.5, then left for Maya. I've recently been looking at Lightwave again though, specifically for rendering, and I've found that my workflows have changed considerably. :)

One area that I can't seem to figure out how deal with smoothly is surfacing objects on a per-shot basis.

Say I have 5 shots to do, all of the same environment. Each shot requires that I tweak the surfaces a bit to sweeten the look of things. I also need to set up a couple of custom passes per shot that need me to change the surfaces of each object altogether.

In maya, this is no big deal, but Lightwave references EVERYTHING (which is great, normally), meaning that if I change a surface for one shot and save, I just changed the surface for every shot. The only way I can see around this is to save a separate set of objects for every single shot. This seems very cumbursome, does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this situation?

Thanks!!

Unfortunately there is no way around it with native tools in LightWave (well sort of). Either you save separate objects for each shot or you purchase either PassPort (http://www.lwpassport.com/) or Janus. (http://janus.faulknermano.com/) Both these tools have been developed with L-script (LightWaves scripting language), so, in a way, LightWave can do this natively, but with a hell of alot of work.

:)

geothefaust
02-07-2009, 01:22 AM
From what I can gather it looks like CORE will be able to do what you need. Are you planning on using CORE or sticking with 9.x?

Cageman
02-07-2009, 01:24 AM
What you can do if you are using 32-bit LW, go here (http://www.tmproductions.com/FrameSets/FS-Products.html) and download a tool called Save Objects. It allows you to save objects enmasse from Layout to a new destination with a different name. So... essentially the workflow is like this:

1. Setup a scenfile that has all your original objects loaded.
2. For each shot, load this scenefile and then use Save Objects to save out new versions. Save the scene with a new scenename.

Problem solved with a few mouseclicks.

:)

fahr
02-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks for all of the quick replies!

SaveObjects looks like it would be perfect, but I'm on mac... this looks like a windows plugin. <sigh>.

Any similar plugins that work on the mac?

On a side note, the replace objects plugin on that site looks handy as well. Same win-only problem tho. :P