PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from an old version to 9.6 & core....impossible in the uk

nikfaulkner
02-07-2009, 12:21 AM
hi all,

i'm having a pretty tough time of trying to upgrade an ancient (5.6) license to 9.6 with core.

newtek europe wil do the 9.6 upgrade but have no details about core or anyway to order with core.

newtek.com will allow the upgrade to 9.6 (with a new dongle) and core access but wont ship to the uk.

this is the first time in years i've been compelled to upgrade my personal license (rather than the offices)
and i'm finding it to be incredibly frustrating:bangwall:

newtek europe have said they don't have any info\pricing structure yet, i'm waiting untill after the weekend to hear back from the US.

anybody in the uk (or europe) managed this sort of upgrade yet?

ta

n

Cageman
02-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Those things aside...

Why the hell does LW cost more in Europe compared to US?

slacer
02-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi nik,

I ordered a competitive upgrade from Cinema 4D to LightWave a few days ago at NewTek Europe. Yesterday I got the software but no notice about Core and how to manage to get into the core forum.

NewTek Europe could not tell me anything about core, but the possibility to order the Hardcore option is available in the registration page.

I don't in which forum to post such questions like "Ask NewTek"...

If you don't mind, I post the results of this in this thread - positive news I hope...

best regards,
slacer

cagey5
02-07-2009, 01:42 AM
@nikfaulkner What happens if you hit the 'Buy now' tab on the Core info page? It should take you to a page where you can purchase direct from Newtek.com rather than Europe.

@Cageman. With core at least we can buy direct from US at dollar price. Don't know if that will be the same going forward.

@slacer. If you have registered your software there should be a Hardcore banner on your registration page. If that's not the case I think it's a case of contacting customer service.

kosmodave
02-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Hi,
I bought into core from the UK the day after countdown stopped, No problems paying directly with Newtek USA at the same cost as in the US.
3d world mag ran a survey a couple of months back regarding the worldwide cost of 3d software and guess what..... Newtek with Lightwave were the only ones who charged anywhere near the same price all over and were actually charging slightly less:thumbsup: in the UK at the time of the survey.
Dave

Cagey5 .. you got in there fast... I must type quicker

nikfaulkner
02-07-2009, 02:01 AM
if i hit the "buy now" button i can order core, but NOT the upgrade to 9.6.

so at the moment i'd have to pay for the 5.6 to 9.6 upgrade then pay for the core upgrade. (effectivley twice as much)

if you already have 9.6 it looks like the core upgrade via the newtek.com site isn't an issue. but they wont ship a 9.6 upgrade to europe

even competative upgrades get a better deal than that

it'll be intersting to see how you get on slacer, keep us posted

n

slacer
02-07-2009, 02:03 AM
@slacer. If you have registered your software there should be a Hardcore banner on your registration page. If that's not the case I think it's a case of contacting customer service.

Yes, there is a banner - but if I click on it I find myself in a shopt being able to buy it. But the description contains this section:

Need to upgrade or buy a new copy of LightWave v9? Your LightWave v9 upgrade and new purchase automatically comes with a one year membership to HardCORE. Make your purchase on line here or from the NewTek reseller in your area.

I did this, but as I said NewTek Europe has no Info about CORE and I had to order via Email, because there was not the upgrade option I needed in their shop.

I think I should contact NewTek US in this case.

cagey5
02-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah, seems like a call may be the way. They should have automatically given you the Hardcore membership from that description and it should be there on your registration page, but I dare say they are up to their necks in various admin at this point and some may have gone wrong. I hear their customer service is good on the phone so hopefully you'll get it resolved painlessly.

@nikfaulkner. I think for 9.6 you need to do that via Newtek-Europe [could be wrong on that] which you would then register as Newtek.com and thereby gain you your free Hardcore membership - if it works correctly.

grimoirecg
02-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Those things aside...

You want to try buying autodesk products. The price differences between the US and UK is ridiculous. They basically just convert dollars directly into pounds. $5000 = 5000.

pauland
02-07-2009, 06:48 AM
You want to try buying autodesk products. The price differences between the US and UK is ridiculous. They basically just convert dollars directly into pounds. $5000 = 5000.

Pretty soon, they'll be on the button.. :-(

grimoirecg
02-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Yep, but the weak pound is good for me overall since I get most of my payments in euros and dollars.

nikfaulkner
02-12-2009, 05:46 AM
UPDATE - having talked to newtek europe and being assured that i can upgrade to 9.6 and get full hardcore access, i not only upgraded my ancient 5.6 license but i also "companion upgraded" our office copy of 3ds max.

the parcel arrived to day with the 2 copies of lightwave....

problem 1 - they've only supplied 1 dongle after assuring me that i'd get a replacement for the 5.6 upgrade

problem 2 - i have no hardcore membership numbers, no emails about hardcore. no mention of it in any of the documentation recieved.

i've emailed them about both issues, awaiting a reply. (odd that before i bought both copies email responce was near on instant. now after they have my cash they seem a LOT slower at answering my questions)

i'll keep y'all posted

n.

nikfaulkner
02-12-2009, 08:18 AM
UPDATE (again) -

just spoken to them, they're sending out another dongle ASAP, they seem a bit in the dark about the core registration process. they're gonna talk to the states and let me know whats going on

n.

archijam
02-12-2009, 08:29 AM
As long as you get an assurance in writing you WILL get core, I wouldn't worry. CORE will not be realeased in a full, working state until the end of the year .. I certainly wouldn't run any office projects on it until after that point ..

Myagi
02-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I was told that all versions and upgrades include hardcore and "New prices will be announced very shortly".

What I find most frustrating is that there is no single global (american) site to buy upgrades from, and in downloadable form. If you already have a usb duo dongle there's no need to force physical copies (the dongle was explained to be the reason for no downloadable upgrade).

Sometimes it sucks to live in markupland..err. euroland.

nikfaulkner
02-16-2009, 08:02 AM
UPDATE - still no "hardcore" newtek europe have said that newtek.com will contact me (this was on friday) been a week since i ordered. :(

jaxtone
02-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Simply because they want us to get used with higher prices when LW is sold to Autodesk! :D

Those things aside...

Juancho00
02-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Those things aside...

I would loooooove to know. If somebody from newtek would care to explain why it isn't just a standard currency conversion. Also, the Newtek europe site seems so watered down. Is it possible to buy a companion upgarde here in europe?,

cheers,

Juan

nikfaulkner
02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
yep, you can buy the same as stateside you just have to email sales.
i just got and upgrade (from an ancient 5.6) and a companion upgrade from 3dsmax for the office.

they cost me 350 each

n.

Juancho00
02-16-2009, 08:31 AM
I just made a currency conversion and actuallyn it is cheaper to pay the 350, than to buy from the US newtek site (595) 8~ the pound is so low

500.201 USD
United Kingdom Pounds United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.42915 USD 1 USD = 0.699718 GBP

Myagi
02-16-2009, 08:32 AM
To any euros with LW8 or older, that are sitting on the fence whether to buy a LW9 upgrade (with hardcore). If I understood it (my email correspondence) right, you may only have a few hours left to get the best deal possible. The 395 upgrade that includes LWCad 3.0.

The european prices will be adjusted, I don't know by how much. I can only speculate based on that the american LW9 upgrade cost $395 before the core announcement, and now it's $495. So if the current euro price is 395 you do the math... :)

nikfaulkner
02-16-2009, 08:35 AM
i thought it was a good deal as well, thats why i bought 2 copies.

note - 350 is without tax, i bought it through my company so i didn't have to pay it.

n.