PDA

View Full Version : Where is the useful F.A.Q. for CORE?

KevinL
02-06-2009, 05:57 PM
or is there not one?
The general info on the underlying code shows promise (for those who are not coding agnostic) and the pricing structure is clearly shown.

Really though for me to even consider going "hardcore" I need a F.A.Q. like this

-Can CORE import existing Lightwave scenes, and what limitations will that have...

-Does CORE have solid working tools that are able to perform the current Lightwaves duties i.e. Scene Editor, Surfacing, Graph Editor, sliders, etc...

-Does CORE completely break all existing plugins (commercial and otherwise)

-Did the development we saw in 9.6 lead to and generate tools that will be ready and able to go in CORE.

And on and on. There needs to be a several page F.A.Q resembling the currently available "sheets" for 9.6. If there isn't, why not? The statement is that there will be a functional beta shortly and a deliverable end of year, so there should be MUCH more information available (and not by paying to join hardcore)

NewTek, you did a great job with the build up to the reveal, you bobbled the reveal a bit, but now you are shooting yourself in the foot with no real, extensive info.

I went from a "would have bought in on the day of" to a "what is CORE and until I know, you won't be making a sale to me" consumer.

Kevin L

Mr Big
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Here's another link http://www.newtek.com/core/techfaq.php

harlan
02-06-2009, 10:05 PM
LOL... I still don't understand why people are having such a hard time finding the info on the CORE pages - detailed info and faq's, etc... are very clearly posted on the newtek.com/core pages, and they've been there since the website went live post the CORE launch.

Don't get me wrong Kevin, I'm not dissing you or anything - I just literally find it odd that people are finding this information. I had no trouble at all personally, and I'm nowhere remotely close to being the sharpest tool in the shed.

JCG
02-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I think it could be because the page is called CORE FAQ and the link says, "Further details on available in the LightWave CORE™ Technology FAQ here." Some people might think, "Oh, I'm already in that page." They might not realize that the "CORE FAQ" and the "CORE Technology FAQ" are two different pages. When they see there word "here," they might not realize it's asking them to click on that link. They might think that the CORE Technology FAQ is "here (on this page)" and that further details will appear "here."

Another reason could be that the link is not underlined unless you hover. People might not be curious enough to scroll over it to see if it's a link. I've worked with hundreds of users who think that if something is not underlined, it can't be a link.

It's also possible that people don't read the answers to the questions. They just get in the page, check to see if the questions they're interested in are in the list and say, "Nope these are not the questions I'm looking for," click on "back" and look for another link to another FAQ.

All of these sound like very natural possibilities to me. Yes, I work in tech support ^_^.

achrystie
02-07-2009, 07:57 AM
That FAQ doesn't really answer any of Kevin's questions. Nor mine.
All it says is that the CORE coding structure is "capable" of accommodating a, b, c, d, etc. It says virtually nothing about what is "actually" implemented in the program for use (actual tools available, actual UI hooks, actual workflow design, actual rendering and material capabilities implemented so far, actual particles and effects available), nor "how" it is implemented, to date, or planned for the future. Right now it's more like an engine FAQ, than a program functionality FAQ, and I think this is the primary issue. I could post a link to a game engine like Torque, Leadwerks, etc., and it would be "capable" of a tremendous amount of things, but actually implementing and leveraging those capabilities for the user to create a fully functional application could take "years" more programming depending upon what you wanted to offer in the program.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy into CORE, I want to in fact, I just want some gauge of what is "actually implemented" before I decide to do so, and that information is not provided, really at all. I just want to see what has been done so far, and I can probably make a reasonable estimate of what "can" be done by Q4, and what I can implement myself with scripting.

That shouldn't be a lot to ask, and I'm really surprised at how many people are not willing to, or downright against, asking those questions. $395 is not a lot of money for me, but that doesn't mean I just "spend it" because I'm excited and have "faith" in some unwritten future.

EmperorPete
02-07-2009, 08:42 AM
It doesn't answer my biggest question:
Are those of us who don't/can't join going to get stiffed for the remaining 9.x updates?

KevinL
02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Thank you Achrystie!

It still doesn't answer my questions (except indicating legacy lws/lwo is there, but with what level of translation ie. during the 9 cycle builds, several things went south in my scenes with different builds). It's still talking about framework heavily. I would like to know how the actual tools stand (out of the box, can I find everything that I have right now with Lightwave and use it?) Talked about plugins framework, didn't say your old ones will/will not work... etc.

When I say F.A.Q.s I mean plain speak, not exciting new potential stuff.

Kevin L

rwhunt99
02-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I sent an e-mail to customer support asking questions including a FAQ page but got no response. As it is right now I think that by the end of the year you will get 9.6 in CORE clothing.

I am intensely curious what they plan to give you on a per year upgrade cycle and at least give you a clue on their upgrade path.

I am excited, but wary, as I have things that never worked in v8.0 and still don't work, all the other great things they talk about are weakly implemented and generally don't work or barely work.
I truly hope that Newtek is on the right track and will probably buy CORE but I don't have a very good feeling about the whole thing (at this time).

cresshead
02-08-2009, 05:32 PM
It doesn't answer my biggest question:
Are those of us who don't/can't join going to get stiffed for the remaining 9.x updates?

as i understand it, everyone who is NOT on 'hardCORE but has lightwave 9.6 will get free bug fixes

people on hardCORE will also get bug fixes for lightwave 9.6 but may also get new features in 9.6 as well as lightwave core V1.0 final release.

to be fair to Newtek the 9.1 to 9.6 FREE point releases were HUGE when you compare to other vendors who charge you for point updates.

also it could be that 9.6 gets ZERO new features [ie 9.7] and newtek just move onto lightwave core wholesale..

that of course will depend on just how smooth the development on lightwave core goes over the next 12 month of course.

Ernest
02-08-2009, 05:49 PM
As it is right now I think that by the end of the year you will get 9.6 in CORE clothing.I think you can rest assured that at least that won't happen. As far as I know, C applications cannot wear Qt.

mattc
02-08-2009, 06:18 PM
-Does CORE completely break all existing plugins (commercial and otherwise)

The short answer to this one would be yes. For rather obvious reasons.

Myagi
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I think you can rest assured that at least that won't happen. As far as I know, C applications cannot wear Qt.

I don't see it happening either, but just wanted to ponit out that having something written in plain C code doesn't stop you from throwing in C++ code into the mix, provided you have a C++ compiler. The bigger hurdle would be the PITA it would be changing UI framework after the fact, even if it was from one C or C++ one to another.