PDA

View Full Version : Closing gaps on a mesh

Raven100
02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Hello i need a little help with my model i seem to get into this mess every time
i'm trying to close the gap under the chin (not the neck). Ive tried bridge and also merge points.

Bridge puts me more in a mess
Point merge gives me "pinching" effect on the mesh

If you know how but can't explain if you could just let me know which tool i would have to use i can try it out.

Thank you so much in advance

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1928/abehelpdf0.jpg

rwhunt99
02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi, it doesn't look too bad !
You might try just filling in the mesh with Quad poly's to close the large holes and then you might have to go to three sided poly's to get closer to the neck and then try to bridge it. sometimes I've found that I end up doing it manually any way, I have a bit more control.
I find it a bit easier to use an eight sided cylinder, or even a six sided one for the neck, it helps with splitting things up to the head and also downward for the arm holes

good luck ! :thumbsup:

Giacomo99
02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
What rwhunt said. To be more specific:

1. Delete all the polys on the right (or left) half of the head.
2. Use the Extender Plus tool to fill in the polys on the underside of the chin.
3. Select the points bordering the other gap (between neck and back of head) and use "Make Polygon" to fill them in.
4. Mirror the half head (Shift-V) to copy the form to the the other side.

I'm necessarily simplifying a bit here. If you don't have it already, I highly recommend getting Dan Ablan's "Inside Lightwave 6" or "Inside Lightwave 7" and doing the "Organic Modeling" tutorial, which covers this material is detail. You should be able to get the book for fairly cheap on Amazon.

Raven100
02-06-2009, 06:42 PM
thank you :D will try this tomorrow and see how it goes! :D:D:D

thank you again!!

Raven100
02-07-2009, 06:07 AM
There we go beautiful :D thanks guys

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1418/abeheaduz9.jpg

I'm hoping to rig this model once i have made it all, do i now create the body on a new layer? or do i make it all in the same?

Giacomo99
02-07-2009, 07:51 AM
do i now create the body on a new layer? or do i make it all in the same?

You definitely want the body and the head on the same layer when the time comes to rig. It can be more convenient sometime to keep them on separate layers throughout the modeling process, though. It's up to you.