PDA

View Full Version : messiah are a cooking up too!

cresshead
02-06-2009, 08:25 AM
http://www.usefulslug.com/development/PointAnimationv2.mov

Hmmm intersting.:thumbsup:

colkai
02-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Isn't that similar to what Blender has with AniSculpt?

cresshead
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Isn't that similar to what Blender has with AniSculpt?

yeah and sorta like stuff you can do in 3dsmax, maya etc.....coming to lw core too?:thumbsup:

colkai
02-06-2009, 09:38 AM
hehe :)

dmack
02-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Pretty cool stuff. Messiah is damn powerful when it comes to CA, and so easy to set up. If I were doing more (any) CA currently, I'd have bought the latest version...some awesome stuff in there!

Nicolas Jordan
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Cool! Now we need some nice high quality videos like this of Lightwave Core in action. I'm sure William would throw a few good vids together if they let him.

biliousfrog
02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
ooh...I likey

hmm....$189 to upgrade my license of Messiah or $395 on 'something' in a year's time?

adamredwoods
02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Is that a pulse from Messiah dev?

biliousfrog
02-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Is that a pulse from Messiah dev?

lol...no, I think it's that guy from useful slug spewing out more great plugins for them.

Funny thing is, I bought messiah for the auto-rigger and it got pulled because of the instability...now it's been done by someone else and I'm wondering whether to give it another go.

Ulven
02-06-2009, 10:02 PM
yeah and sorta like stuff you can do in 3dsmax, maya etc.....coming to lw core too?:thumbsup:

Sorta not like that stuff actually actually, it's is a lot more.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Now that modeling and animation will no longer be seperate in Core, I'm hoping to see some nice lattice deformation/sculpting of vertices to be used in conjunction with bone deformations.

Celshader
02-07-2009, 12:45 PM
lol...no, I think it's that guy from useful slug spewing out more great plugins for them.

Funny thing is, I bought messiah for the auto-rigger and it got pulled because of the instability...now it's been done by someone else and I'm wondering whether to give it another go.

pmG has a demo version of messiah:studio 2.5 on their site:
http://projectmessiah.com/x4/downloads_main.htm

We are using messiah:studio 3 at Radical 3D for creature animation on Animal Armageddon (http://animal.discovery.com/tv/animal-armageddon/). I'll recommend messiah for these features: realtime deformations in OpenGL, text-based *.FXS scene files, customization through scripting, Armatures, and Ulven's generous help on SetupTab (http://setuptab.com/) and the projectmessiah mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/pmGmessiah/).

Some cons...

messiah will work with a Wacom tablet or two monitors, but it will not work with a Wacom tablet and two monitors. I have RSI in my right arm, so I dumped my second monitor at work and kept my Wacom tablet.

Also, once in a while messiah crashes or saves out scene files that cannot load. Most of these crash/load problems are related to Groups and Super Blender. I save often, and so far messiah's pros outweigh its cons on this project.

philthorn
02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Is Messiah still being worked on?

I went to their site and they don't mention anything past LW 8.

There have been no updates to the site in ages.

What gives?

I would love to integrate MS into our pipeline as we have recently started doing a lot of CA stuff.

Phil
02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I've always been disappointed that there is no Mac version.

UnCommonGrafx
02-08-2009, 08:47 AM
It works with 9.6. Works quite well, too.
I am SO curious as to what they will do with this Core thingy... Uvlen, I see this as an opportunity to move bones back and forth, if not the whole interface in a viewport...?
Any thoughts you could share on how you envision such interoperability, be it desire, i.e., what you'd like to be able to do in said host app, or what have you.
Messiah is just fun. And all that the Slugs (I believe) have added by way of the walker, autorigger 2, etc. well... Let's just say I'm enjoying it much more than I did initially.

My belief is that no tool is diminished by The Core; no, they all figure greatly in the future. Especially if they earn their keep.

(Ramble of the day done. Check!)

Is Messiah still being worked on?

I went to their site and they don't mention anything past LW 8.

There have been no updates to the site in ages.

What gives?

I would love to integrate MS into our pipeline as we have recently started doing a lot of CA stuff.

dmack
02-08-2009, 09:01 AM
If core really is as extensible as has been mentioned then it could, with 3rd party support be awesome. You could literally have the whole of messiah's animation side of things right in there with the rest of Lightwave fully integrated. That'd be awesome. Then realflow right in the interface....syntheyes...etc

I love the sound of the SDK being the same for Core Dev and 3rd parties and the whole framework concept. Now I just need o tsee how it works in the flesh :)

The Dommo
02-08-2009, 10:01 AM
HR, I'm sure I rad somewhere in the specs page about there being lattice deformations now so let's hope so :)

Messiah is great, I saw it being used at a studio when it was still just a plug-in for LW, and was stunned at how fast the guys were churning out animation.

Julez4001
02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Messiah:Studio has mdd export and its setup in a way to effect multiple objects at a time. All you have to do in LW is load the mdd files and away you go. Its a very easy pipeline and is quite seamless when sing Ligghtwave as the endomorphs and surfaces are transferable via .lwo format.

If u buy Pointoven ($99), you get camera data, motion files and a file format (.psc) that does everything for you.

Ulven has release Walker which can use any rig but works best with his autorigger, which is rumoured to part of the next version of Messiah.

The Dommo
02-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Messiah links with LW seamlessly, so surely the camera stuff links in anyway? It's like a live update thingy.

3DBob
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I have had a copy of PMG for years and upgraded to 3 last year. Finally considering using it on a cartoon with lots of Character animation.

How good is it for multiple characters in a scene and getting all the action working together with other scene elements?

It is attractive from a studio point of view as I understand it because it is a dedicated tool that fills a *current* hole in LW9.6. It is affordable to get 10 licences for a team whereas animation plugins like Maya are prohibitavely expensive and Blender a pain.

Any advice with integration and issues greatly appreciated.

Regards

3DBob

Julez4001
02-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Like every application including the ones at Pixar, Disney or Dreamworks when dealing multiple characters, you animate one and then the other. IK, deformation system can slow performance so the other chaarcter aniamation is baked out via a point cache system. For Messiah and LW, its mdd files.

When you buy Messiah, order a few copies of Pointoven for some of the automation and compatiability to other (1 copy of) apps so you may want to use their cloth systems or such or not.

3DBob
02-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks Julez4001, seems like sound advice.

3DBob

dmack
02-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Hi Bob,
I've done stuff with four characters, I just set up an armature that turned off nurbs for characters not being animated. I think you can now, under v3, also turn off their expressions altogether. I was however amazed at how it could handle four characters with automated dynamics etc all at the same time! It really is blazingly fast.

3DBob
02-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks David,

Any idea when 3.1 is due? Like the Idea of the integration of the second version of autorigger combined with useful slugs walk designer and the motion files here

http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/search.php?subjectnumber=%&motion=%

via BVH with a bit of non-linear blendiness.

3DBob

mav3rick
02-10-2009, 08:14 AM
watched this poin movie ... nothing that impressive...

akademus
02-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Is Taron still affiliated with them? Anyone knows?

RedRowan
02-16-2009, 07:48 AM
I've always been disappointed that there is no Mac version.

I was looking into Messiah a while back as an animation solution (was using Modo 203 at the time) and was surprised there was no Mac version myself. I'm guessing with such a small team it may simply be more work than it's worth to port over.

Steve