PDA

View Full Version : "Sword of the Stranger"

BigHache
02-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Did anyone get to check out the U.S. release of "Sword of the Stranger" tonight? I had seen it already thanks to the "magic of the Internet", but wanted to check it out on the big screen. I must say that I was not disappointed.

DiedonD
02-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Did anyone get to check out the U.S. release of "Sword of the Stranger" tonight? I had seen it already thanks to the "magic of the Internet", but wanted to check it out on the big screen. I must say that I was not disappointed.

Is it too bloody? Can I watch it with my family?

adamredwoods
02-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Missed it. One night event?

BigHache
02-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Is it too bloody? Can I watch it with my family?
Yes it's too bloody, def not a family movie, unless your family is all grown adults.

Yeah it was a one night event. There was little done to promote it, and even though it was shown in several theatres in my city there were only about 15 folks in the theatre with me.

Skonk
02-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Saw this ages ago and really liked it.

Hope it comes out on BluRay here in the UK at some point.

Wickster
02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I just saw this on 1080P (Japanese Bluray). I was pretty awesome.

I can't help but compare it Ninja Scroll, but minus the super powers and nudities. It is violent (definitely not a family movie) but it's done in a not so extreme way. So there maybe some blood splatters but nothing that would gross people out.

Might want to sait for a domestic bluray release though becasue importing this will cost you almost 3X the price.

Skonk
02-06-2009, 12:46 PM
A little offtopic, but...

I'm a huge anime fan, have been for years and i buy a lot of anime on DVD.

But to my horror, a while back ADV (A D Vision) which was the biggest distributer of anime dvd's here in the UK stopped ALL of it's UK buisiness :(

They had several multi-volume series that they had only started selling a few volumes off so we cant complete them.

Very anoying.

Wickster
02-06-2009, 12:55 PM
A little offtopic, but...

I'm a huge anime fan, have been for years and i buy a lot of anime on DVD.

But to my horror, a while back ADV (A D Vision) which was the biggest distributer of anime dvd's here in the UK stopped ALL of it's UK buisiness :(

They had several multi-volume series that they had only started selling a few volumes off so we cant complete them.

Very anoying.
yeah i felt the same way when Geneon stopped publishing Anime here on the U.S. Funimation seems to be the only one going strong right now.

Do you primarily watch dubbed versions or subbed versions?

BigHache
02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
As I understand anime prices in Japan aren't lower than when picked up by a local distributor for your country.

I've been collecting for a few years and some titles just aren't going to be carried over to Blu-Ray, just as some OVAs have not been carried over to DVD. I have seen a title or two that was discontinued before the series was completely released. Unfortunately that can be where Bittorrents come in, which is not my first choice.

I typically watch subbed as I'm studying Japanese. Although people in real life don't speak like the actors in anime, it still helps with familiarity.

Skonk
02-09-2009, 02:15 AM
yeah i felt the same way when Geneon stopped publishing Anime here on the U.S. Funimation seems to be the only one going strong right now.

Do you primarily watch dubbed versions or subbed versions?

Almost always subbed.

Few exceptions though would be Cowboy BeBop, FLCL and the Ghost in the Shell series which I have decent dubs, I could watch either sub or dub with these.