PDA

View Full Version : Have you joined hardcore yet?

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Just curious to see how many people have made the small leap of faith already to Core after a small glimpse and less then a day of order availability.

PointC
02-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes - #5902

Wade
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
One of the first I think but I have two more seats that will wait awhile before upgrading.

monovich
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
gotta wait for some clients to pay up. then I'm in.

mikala
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I will on March 10th.

Stunt Pixels
02-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Yep, I've been using LW since v5, and what the short demo implied for the changes under the bonnet has me hooked! It's good timing too. For the last six months I've spent considerably more time in Maya than LW, and I want to come home....

shadowlock
02-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I have a GeForce 9800 GTX+ and I want to see what it does with my Quadcore for rendering.... If GPUs help alot I might switch to a 3 sli box with the fastest quadcore. See how fast I can get a single box :D

PeteF
02-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm two open projects away from doing so myself, (I have a general rule against upgrading or installing anything during projects).

rakker16mm
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm in. I will register in a few days. I just needed to know that Core would run on my old Mac as a new machine seems to be moving further into the future do to the economy. But Core that's something I can buy now.

Nicolas Jordan
02-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I am waiting for a general overview in most major areas of Lightwave Core before I even consider upgrading. :grumpy:

geothefaust
02-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Not yet, plan to in the coming days.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few more vids in the mean time, too. :)

G.o.D
02-05-2009, 08:38 PM
just joined, got a confirmation message, but nothing is showing up in the shops order history. never ordered at the newtek shop directly before, is this normal behaviour?

Earl
02-05-2009, 08:39 PM
My home copy has been registered for HardCORE. I'm going to push to get my work/office copy upgraded as HardCORE as well.

JMCarrigan
02-05-2009, 08:45 PM
5724 reporting. I'm in!

IMI
02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
For now, I'm passing on the upgrade for the first time since LW 7. I realize I may change my mind and end up spending more later on down the road, but I want to know they're pulling it off first, rather than hoping.

Consider: LW 9.0 was released in July '06, hence nearly 2.5 years between 9.0 and 9.6. In that time, broken features were temporarily ignored, while new features were added - new features which themselves were only half-way working, while it seems to me, other promised features were eighty-six'd entirely. So they finally pulled it all together with 9.6. And it's a good release, well worth the wait, and was fun along the way.

But now they're offering a complete, full new version, based on an entirely new "core", no less - every twelve months...
I think I'll wait and see how it goes, at least this first year of this new thing.

PointC
02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
just joined, got a confirmation message, but nothing is showing up in the shops order history. never ordered at the newtek shop directly before, is this normal behaviour?
I think it's normal. I got the same thing. Anyone receive a message about how to log in to the new Core forums yet?

mosconariz
02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Not yet. I have to save a little money...

I made some money.lwo and tried to save it. I think Ctrl + S is not working as I expected :D

Wade
02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I think it's normal. I got the same thing. Anyone receive a message about how to log in to the new Core forums yet?

Nothing on the Core forums - yet here.

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 09:35 PM

I made some money.lwo and tried to save it. I think Ctrl + S is not working as I expected :D

You'll want to use the new instancing feature for that. Or if you can't get your hands on Core without the money, try HDinstance.

The only drawback: When you spend one dollar, because the other million you created are instances, they're spent too.

meatycheesyboy
02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Upgraded ealier today, can't wait for the first beta.

I always feel entitled, so I hope the forums have a distinctive look compared to the rest of the forums, just to make us feel special.

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I always feel entitled, so I hope the forums have a distinctive look compared to the rest of the forums, just to make us feel special.

Yes, I think the Core section of the forums should have tear away panels and be skinable while the rest of those suckers are stuck with what they're used to.

Hopper
02-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm going to wait until I get my tax return back. It makes it a bit easier on the bank account. I try to be debt free whenever possible. The only thing I owe money on is my mortgage and I'd like to keep it that way. With the economy sucking as bad as it does, you just never know...

PointC - I like the avatar. Got two of the little buggers myself.

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 09:52 PM

You have two avatars?

Hopper
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
You have two avatars?
Why yes ...

You don't remember the bug? :D

PointC
02-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks Hopper - I get a little worried though - my avatar might get a smack down from all the cats around here. :)

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 10:08 PM
That was a good one. I really fell for it. Twice from what I remember.

Hopper
02-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Hopper - I get a little worried though - my avatar might get a smack down from all the cats around here. :)
We can gang up on them... I got a 35 pound brute. He's got one cat under his belt too..

JCG
02-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm joining on the 21st.
In a very evil and selfish way, I'm hoping that the beta is not released until then :D

PointC
02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
We can gang up on them... I got a 35 pound brute. He's got one cat under his belt too..

That is one big doxie. We might stand a chance against all these cats after all. :D My two combined are only 25 pounds.

Titus
02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
As I already wrote a couple of times, my bank charged me twice for the hardcore subscription without giving autorization to newtek. As soon as I can get a refund or something similar I'm gonna try again. This is a yes, but not yet.

don_culbertson
02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Just purchased HardCORE... Linux and Python sealed the deal for me :)

Don

KevinL
02-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Not until I know what it really is. Current functioning feature list, and what is on the board for this development cycle.

Can I import and use current Lightwave scenes?

How many tools similar to what is good in 9.6 are available and reliable ie. I use sliders, are they there?

Does it totally break all my commercial plugins? (yes, I've seen people saying, oh of course it will break them, but it's worth it...)

I do not want end user speculation, which is all that is available beyond a short indication of a couple of cool things in the video, and a lot of talk of underlying coding setup.

Just don't know enough to make spending 400.00 a wise choice.

Kevin L

Lito
02-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I am definitely joining, but I will wait till march 30th or till NT says they have a beta to download ready (whichever comes first). Till then I can wait as there is no real need to spend $400 till then.

Oedo 808
02-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm on the fence, I've not really done much with LightWave so far, but my main interest in 3D came from the idea of creating content for games, it's just sod's law that with LightWave I found myself to be far more productive than I was with 3ds Max, which has much better support for game development and often gets support that LightWave does not, even just simple things like plugins for the .dtx texture format. Though I have to say it was fortuitous that I preferred LightWave given it's price tag.

If NewTek indicates clearly that it plans to be strong in this area then I will do all I can to raise the money to support Core, but if not then I don't think that Core will take me far enough along the road I'm walking to justify getting it, I will watch to see how the CA tools pan out and check to see that any animations can be easily extrapolated for exporting, and it certainly sounds like that shouldn't be a problem with Core. However if it happens that this area still doesn't look too promising, I may look towards seeing how viable something like Messiah is instead, and stick with 9.x for the time being.

It may actually be a better scenario for me if Core doesn't bring things like better viewport shader and normal map support. Though one thing that would tempt me about Core is if it didn't lag until either the RAM, GPU or CPU was at it's limit, this I'm sure will be the case and the idea of that seems very tasty to me.

Alkaline
02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I'd like to see a full feature list.

I'd like to know if I would be able to make Core look like Modeler when modeling, and also whether or not they included the one thing I've been wanting in Lightwave for quite a while... undo for bone tools.

wp_capozzi
02-05-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm very much looking forward to buying in. My only hold back is the gathering of the funds. Soon... I hope.

OlaHaldor
02-05-2009, 11:51 PM
I SO want it! I just sold my soul to two projects for some easy money... "Easy come - easy go".. eh? I know where these $$$ are going ! Just hope they pay in time for me to order before the $395 deal is over.

adamredwoods
02-05-2009, 11:52 PM
I've already signed up with a few HardCORE services, very entertaining, but not this one here yet.

As with the other services, I'd like to see "a little more" first. (wink wink nudge nudge)

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't know how to answer this poll...

If the poll question is asking whether I intend to hop on the yearly payment bandwagon for HardCORE membership, the answer is probably no, as I can't afford to spend $400 on 3D software every single year. If the question is whether I intend to purchase an upgrade to Lightwave v9 (from 7.5) with the free upgrade to CORE and the one-year subscription to HardCORE, the answer is "it depends on the answers to my questions about Lightwave CORE".

mav3rick
02-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Not until I know what it really is. Current functioning feature list, and what is on the board for this development cycle.

How many tools similar to what is good in 9.6 are available and reliable ie. I use sliders, are they there?

Does it totally break all my commercial plugins? (yes, I've seen people saying, oh of course it will break them, but it's worth it...)

I do not want end user speculation, which is all that is available beyond a short indication of a couple of cool things in the video, and a lot of talk of underlying coding setup.

Kevin L

ok let me try to explain you things we know so far...
you will be able load lwo/lws as well lot other formats. the new native format is collada fbx due it is more like standard now that any app use.

plugins . it totaly break the balls of any plugin from lw .... every developer out there need to recompile it to core ready plugin. every serious one i contacted so far seems to have interest in doing so.

if you do lw as most of us to make money 400 is a steal and must go direction.. or you can stop at lw 9.6 wich is brilliant in terms it cost 0$ for an upgrade and just cause of all the free updates we have got from lw 9.x serie newtek deserv this 400 support to make lw CORE the way they promised... plus you are gonna be able help them in that by getting core beta q1 this year.....

think.

and welcome to core familly whenever you join!

iluxa
02-06-2009, 03:46 AM
i choose 4 position. I will that trial needed even i'm trying 9 now.
---
I put several questions in main ;) core-thread.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 03:59 AM
I don't know how to answer this poll...

If the poll question is asking whether I intend to hop on the yearly payment bandwagon for HardCORE membership, the answer is probably no, as I can't afford to spend $400 on 3D software every single year. If the question is whether I intend to purchase an upgrade to Lightwave v9 (from 7.5) with the free upgrade to CORE and the one-year subscription to HardCORE, the answer is "it depends on the answers to my questions about Lightwave CORE".

Hey Adrian. Once you buy into Core, it's yours permanently. You won't have to upgrade next year if you don't want to. It doesn't run out after a year, just your membership to hardcore which is beta access and all those other little feature. But you'll still have a working copy of the first version of Core until you decide to upgrade again.

JBT27
02-06-2009, 04:00 AM
My gut feeling was (actually still is a bit) that I've been an idiot - just bought in, 6003 :thumbsup: - and when I read posts from people who ARE applying cold common-sense to this and waiting, I have alot of respect for them and their thinking.

But, LW is my work-horse - I utterly rely on it and all the plugins I have. At 9.6, it is superb and I can work with that for months and years.

But, NT are shifting direction, new things and new ideas, and frankly, I want in on that, from the start. I want to see it unfolding and even help in some ways to get it to that keen new LW that suddenly looks like a mainstream production contender.

Like I say, common-sense tells me I've been stupid - no doubt at all, everyone who has ordered as of now has taken a huge leap of faith, but I take the view that NT have shown serious commitment with the OBs, they've admitted when something went wrong and couldn't be continued (UVs, for instance) and we've had this week an apology from the man at the top for the less than pro opening reveal of Core.

Unless NT have turned to the Dark Side and this Core intro offer is an Emperor's New Clothes scam, I feel confident that it's money well spent (even if as of right now, cold logic says otherwise :))

Julian.

keleb78
02-06-2009, 04:11 AM
I joined Yesterday. I did due to the fact, that my national currency is a tad bit unstable, so I don't know, how much more I'd have to pay in a week or two. I'm a bit dissapointed though. Can't get into HardCore Forums yet, no downloads so far... well, it seems that so far I bought myself the most expensive wallpaper ever- it's the only thing I can download for my membership fee :(

Skonk
02-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Yeh they need to get the forum accounts sorted out ASAP cos as it stands now we'v got nothing for our payments.

achrystie
02-06-2009, 04:39 AM
I'm waiting, there is time. I really need to see a list of what "exactly" is being shipped in a few weeks, and what is "planned" for Q4 before I spend my hard earned cash. I'm not saying I need a fully featured application delivered or planned, but strategically I want to know:

a) What can I actually use in the near future.
b) What Newtek envisions they will develop in house.
c) When/what form will the SDK be delivered in.

I do a sort of "combo" of all things like DaVinci's 4th cousin twice removed who was far less talented and less well known :D. Therefore, I'm considering writing some code now that they've revealed the open SDK with C++ and Python. So if what I can and want to code fits in with what they are developing, and they provide at least a beta SDK and a reasonably functional CORE to test stuff in, and a roadmap, I'll be happy to invest before March 31st, but without more information, it's all too vague at this point.

stevets
02-06-2009, 04:40 AM
I'm in.
Stevets

kopperdrake
02-06-2009, 05:04 AM
My gut feeling was (actually still is a bit) that I've been an idiot - just bought in, 6003 :thumbsup: - and when I read posts from people who ARE applying cold common-sense to this and waiting, I have alot of respect for them and their thinking.

But, LW is my work-horse - I utterly rely on it and all the plugins I have. At 9.6, it is superb and I can work with that for months and years.

But, NT are shifting direction, new things and new ideas, and frankly, I want in on that, from the start. I want to see it unfolding and even help in some ways to get it to that keen new LW that suddenly looks like a mainstream production contender.

Like I say, common-sense tells me I've been stupid - no doubt at all, everyone who has ordered as of now has taken a huge leap of faith, but I take the view that NT have shown serious commitment with the OBs, they've admitted when something went wrong and couldn't be continued (UVs, for instance) and we've had this week an apology from the man at the top for the less than pro opening reveal of Core.

Unless NT have turned to the Dark Side and this Core intro offer is an Emperor's New Clothes scam, I feel confident that it's money well spent (even if as of right now, cold logic says otherwise :))

Julian.

Totally agree Julian...

...number 6012 :)

MooseDog
02-06-2009, 05:20 AM
i'm in, just not yet.

1.) money, or lack thereof atm

2.)linux

3.)skins

4.)new code

there's still 6 weeks till the uber-offer expires, and i expect there will be marketing/explanation demos aplenty during that time to help separate me from my cash :D

just read julian's post above. ditto that 100%. well said sir!

Skonk
02-06-2009, 05:21 AM
It's nice to see that out of 125 people (currently) none of them have said they have no interest at all :)

machbeowulf
02-06-2009, 05:25 AM
A leap of faith almost ... more of a small skip actually. I simply trust Newtek and it's leadership to deliver. In at first opportunity. 5893 I believe we have a great year ahead !!!

dee
02-06-2009, 05:36 AM
I'm in. But I wanted to register Hardcore and it asks for a Membership No. Does anyone know where I can find this number?

pbelchamber
02-06-2009, 05:45 AM
I used the license key number that was provided after purchase - it should be on your order confirmation email.

Nicolas Jordan
02-06-2009, 06:06 AM

That is a good question but somehow I have the feeling we won't be able to load .lws files into Lightwave Core at all. It does say in the faqs we can load .lwo files still though.

masterchief
02-06-2009, 06:07 AM
HardCORE forum open yet???? order 5730 here... tells me I do not have access to restricted forum.

regards,
William

mav3rick
02-06-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm waiting, there is time. I really need to see a list of what "exactly" is being shipped in a few weeks, and what is "planned" for Q4 before I spend my hard earned cash. I'm not saying I need a fully featured application delivered or planned, but strategically I want to know:

a) What can I actually use in the near future.
b) What Newtek envisions they will develop in house.
c) When/what form will the SDK be delivered in.

I do a sort of "combo" of all things like DaVinci's 4th cousin twice removed who was far less talented and less well known :D. Therefore, I'm considering writing some code now that they've revealed the open SDK with C++ and Python. So if what I can and want to code fits in with what they are developing, and they provide at least a beta SDK and a reasonably functional CORE to test stuff in, and a roadmap, I'll be happy to invest before March 31st, but without more information, it's all too vague at this point.

a) lw core will be production ready q4 .. ofcourse dont strictly stick to that since OPEN beta users are known to find bugs every last second and since core is NEW tool i expect we squash lot of bugs..
b) model render animate like LW was but on completely new core and with fully customization from interface to all other aspects. what newtek can do you can do also .. same sdk you will receive is the one newtek use to do core tools inside CORE.
c) SDK of core will be available shortly after beta 1 so this means q2 this year .....

this is all info gathered trough forum and contact and is not speculation of users this is official info given by NEWTEK .

dee
02-06-2009, 06:16 AM
I used the license key number that was provided after purchase - it should be on your order confirmation email.

Thanks!

tribbles
02-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Registered last night for 2 seats. Although I don't know what my number was...

Andy Webb
02-06-2009, 06:32 AM
One thing to bear in mind and it's just a guess on my part, if NT slap a ndc on Lightwave Core development, only the HardCore members will know what is going on.

So people waiting for more videos and info before joining might be out of luck.

This is the one thing NT haven't been too clear about, will none HardCore members get any more info other than what is already out there?

I wouldn't be too happy if, having paid up to join HardCore, I found non HardCore members were getting the same information for nothing :)

Andy Webb
02-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Just to add, I think that NT does need to show more about what is in Lightwave Core, I'm just not sure if that's their plan.

Perhaps any new info will only be available in the Core forum, when it finally opens.

John Geelan
02-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by JBT27

My sentiments exactly! My credit card has taken something of a bashing in the last month ... as you know, Julian:D ... and it's going to do so again for Hardcore! In the end, the decision to run with Hardcore is simply based on having faith in Newtek. Certainly, faith is non-rational as its concerns are with the intangible and the, as yet, unrealised. But faith is also the bedrock of Wisdom which, in itself, is the exercise of the right use of knowledge. Nothing in my, limited, knowledge of Newtek suggests a potential scam here. In fact, the opposite is the case! Besides, this total rewrite should place LW in a position of advantage over the competition. LW's full potential won't be realised in a year or two or three but it will be a far better app than it ever could be without a rewrite. The decision to go with Hardcore may not be rational but, I believe, it is certainly wise.
Now ... when I get these colour management issues finalised ... the future will look very bright!:thumbsup:

Simon
02-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I want to know what basic functionality is present in the initial builds before I commit. The tech faq gives detail on what is possible, and that all sounds great, but how much of that is in the first build? I've not seen Newtek refer to it as a 'beta' just an opening build so that makes me wonder. But hey I might have missed something of course in all these threads.

Having said that the part of my brain that controls common sense is easily over ridden by the part that wants CORE so I'm sure I will be relenting nearer the cutoff for the $399 offer.

mattclary
02-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Kevin L

I trust NewTek and they can use our money. I practically broke my shoulder reaching for my wallet once I heard the page was up.

A few weeks ago I blew through ~$200 in a week's time going out to eat and hanging out at bars.

So, for two weeks worth of fleeting pleasure, I can support a great company and enjoy the awesomeness of this new technology.

WillBellJr
02-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I am definitely joining, but I will wait till march 30th or till NT says they have a beta to download ready (whichever comes first). Till then I can wait as there is no real need to spend $400 till then.

:agree:

Pretty much says it all for me right there...

-Will

Weetos
02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I plan on crossing the threshold too, but really I need to have an overview of what core really is (what has been done so far ? we didn't see much in the presentation)

I just can't believe NT didn't work on some videos before the countdown is over. I mean they obviously knew some people would like to see more of it before shelling out the cash - I mean I trust NT, no problem, but I like it when there's some serious teasing !

lwaddict
02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm in but in about a week.

I can burn through 400 bucks in fast food, smokes, and beer over a period of a month. So what we're looking at here is basically the cost of a good plugin anyways and a little self control at the AM MiniMart.

But my question before moving forward is this...
a yearly subscription fee?
Am I reading this right?
Does this mean we'll need to pay yearly to be a part of HardCore but won't have to pay yearly for Core or will we be forced to pay for both?

I only ask because some 'other' companys do this and it sucks.

Newtek? Lucy? Esplain pleez.

Andyjaggy
02-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Currently standing by the fence tapping my feet awaiting further information.

ben martin
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Almost there... had a near-miss yesterday, just stopped to investigate, "choose with shipment or not"?

colkai
02-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Currently standing by the fence tapping my feet awaiting further information.

Budge over dude, s'getting crowded on this fence. I'm not sure it'll take my weight to be honest! ;D

dmack
02-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Not until I see a LOT more evidence of what it actually is. I don't want to see feature lists, I want to see a bunch of videos that convince me it's the way to go. Features in action. Until then, no ealry purchase schemes are going to tempt me.

mav3rick
02-06-2009, 09:52 AM
oh we have non interested lady.... PIMP O LARM activated SHOW yourself and COME TO DADDY to give you holly PIMPTISM SACRAMENT

Lito
02-06-2009, 09:56 AM
But my question before moving forward is this...
a yearly subscription fee?
Am I reading this right?
Does this mean we'll need to pay yearly to be a part of HardCore but won't have to pay yearly for Core or will we be forced to pay for both?

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94787

I see it right now as I am buying an upgrade to LW Core v1.0 and that includes a 1 year Hardcore subscription that gives me access to all the betas till the subscription expires. After the year is up, you are still entitled to the full LW Core v1.0 even if it doesn't come out till after your subscription expired, but you won't be able to download any more beta software, you will have to wait till they officially have a final product.

I guess if you think about it, this program is just like the LW9 release, but unless you are a member of Hardcore you can't access the open beta stuff. I would also probably assume that if this program was in place during the LW9 release cycle, the "special pricing" feature listed on the web site would mean only Hardcore members would get the special $395 or $495 upgrade price. Non members would have to pay the standard $695 upgrade price for LW10/LWCore1.0.

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Hey Adrian. Once you buy into Core, it's yours permanently. You won't have to upgrade next year if you don't want to. It doesn't run out after a year, just your membership to hardcore which is beta access and all those other little feature. But you'll still have a working copy of the first version of Core until you decide to upgrade again.

Yeah. I'm only objecting to the lack of a "buying CORE but not necessarily joining HardCORE long term" option in the poll.

DBMiller
02-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Paid my $495 upgrade from 8.5 price but will have to wait till I get home tonight to register it. Then I will be Cored! Since I've never used any version of LW9 yet this should be a fun catch up till Core comes out.

Edit: By the way, number 6029.

UltraViolet
02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
No, I do not think I will, very disappointed here.

I was hoping LW would get realistic caustics until now, but now I see that was just a dream.

Seriously considering switching to Modo here :)

wfstecko
02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I signed up. I'm a newbie at all this, and don't want to be left in the dust just when I'm barely starting.

W

JamesCurtis
02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm planning on signing up, but have to wait for a few client checks to come in first. Shouldn't be more than a few weeks or so.

mattclary
02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
CORE forum is active!!!

kojean
02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
One thing to bear in mind and it's just a guess on my part, if NT slap a ndc on Lightwave Core development, only the HardCore members will know what is going on.

So people waiting for more videos and info before joining might be out of luck.
The savings is tempting, even though it's a stretch of my budget, but they've got to be kidding if they expect me to sign up with the current amount of information that's out there. I hope the NDA will be flexible, so they can sell the benefits of the product and not hide it shortcomings from prospective buyers considering a Hardcore membership pre-order.

I like everything I've heard and read so far about the direction they're heading, but considering this really is a 1.0 release, I want to see some extensive demos before signing up. I want to see the full functionality and stability of LW9.x + all the new architecture + the new features in action and I want to see rendered output samples. I also want to see if there is an overhauled CA system and other new things, like fluids.

Frankly, I was expecting to see all those things on the webcast the other day after the countdown.

Since this is effectively a 1.0 release, I want to be assured that there is a serious commitment to providing a fully functional and stable product will all the promised features. It would really be a disappointment to sign up now, only to get an unstable, feature-incomplete 1.0 release, then have to pay an extra fee for a subsequent version upgrade that is actually the production-ready, feature complete product that we were originally promised.

mav3rick
02-06-2009, 11:33 AM
yes

cresshead
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
yeah, forum is hardCORE active now...

oh...yeah got onboard..even with no job!!...plenty of time to beta test then!

ghostlight
02-06-2009, 11:58 AM

You have to enter your account and PIN number in your preferences file for money.lwo to make deposits.

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I've been wondering whether Newtek will slap an NDA onto the HardCORE program. If so, I see that as another reason not to join HardCORE. I don't like being tied to an NDA for a product that's available to anyone who pays. It's a "secret" that's not really a secret, but break the NDA and you'll be sued just as if it were a real secret. I don't like that.

geothefaust
02-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I've been wondering whether Newtek will slap an NDA onto the HardCORE program. If so, I see that as another reason not to join HardCORE. I don't like being tied to an NDA for a product that's available to anyone who pays. It's a "secret" that's not really a secret, but break the NDA and you'll be sued just as if it were a real secret. I don't like that.

You know, I would tell you the answer to that... But I'm under NDA. :)

Just kidding.

zatara
02-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I join! But Where is the hardcore forum?

jasonwestmas
02-06-2009, 12:34 PM
350$ pfft, NT should get lots more from me for all those free upgrades but I can't really afford much more so I'm glad I got the discount. To me it was a nobrainer when I thought about it for 2 minutes. I'm in.

cresshead
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM

EVERYONE on the lightwave 9 beta forums were under an NDA

geothefaust
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Just signed up about an hour ago. Looking forward to getting my forum access soon. :thumbsup:

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I know. In fact, it's the reason I fear the same thing may happen with HardCORE.

cresshead
02-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I know. In fact, it's the reason I fear the same thing may happen with HardCORE.
why fear exactly??

you can always wait till 4th quater 2009 for final the released version.

Alliante
02-06-2009, 01:22 PM
An NDA is there to protect both the tester and the company. I have no issues signing any sane NDA

On a personal note, I hope I get access to the CORE forums by this weekend, for I received my confirmation of "It will take a short time to....." almost 6 hours ago :)

geothefaust
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
An NDA is there to protect both the tester and the company. I have no issues signing any sane NDA

On a personal note, I hope I get access to the CORE forums by this weekend, for I received my confirmation of "It will take a short time to....." almost 6 hours ago :)

Hey man, me too. Jim Plant said they must activate each account manually, so I'm sure it'll happen. It might take some time, but it will happen. :)

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
why fear exactly??
I don't take NDA's lightly. I value my right to speak and would rather not surrender it, even voluntarily. The fact that the beta is available to anyone who pays (and therefore not really confidential) only makes it all the more offensive to me. It's as if Lightwave CORE is being published without it really being published, which just rubs me the wrong way.

Furthermore, I am opposed to restrictive EULA's as a matter of principle and have refused in the past to purchase products with such EULAs. One of the reasons I bought Lightwave 7.5 instead of Maya is that Maya had an unreasonable EULA (in that case, it was needing Alias' permission to move your copy of Maya beyond a certain distance). In this case, I don't like the fact that I can be required to keep a secret that isn't really a secret.

If Newtek were paying me for beta testing their product, it would be a different story.

JBT27
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
My sentiments exactly! My credit card has taken something of a bashing in the last month ... as you know, Julian:D ... and it's going to do so again for Hardcore! In the end, the decision to run with Hardcore is simply based on having faith in Newtek. Certainly, faith is non-rational as its concerns are with the intangible and the, as yet, unrealised. But faith is also the bedrock of Wisdom which, in itself, is the exercise of the right use of knowledge. Nothing in my, limited, knowledge of Newtek suggests a potential scam here. In fact, the opposite is the case! Besides, this total rewrite should place LW in a position of advantage over the competition. LW's full potential won't be realised in a year or two or three but it will be a far better app than it ever could be without a rewrite. The decision to go with Hardcore may not be rational but, I believe, it is certainly wise.
Now ... when I get these colour management issues finalised ... the future will look very bright!:thumbsup:

Err.....yeah.....sorry about that John :D

.....but just think how much you'll make from that cool book you're going to write on colour management in the world of 3D??

.....well.....probably not much actually, but I'll buy one.....!! :)

Yep, there's no way this is a scam, though as you suggest, it may be a long haul.

Julian.

DarkLight
02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Waiting until i get paid at the end of the month, then i will be ordering :)

Alliante
02-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't take NDA's lightly. I value my right to speak and would rather not surrender it, even voluntarily. The fact that the beta is available to anyone who pays (and therefore not really confidential) only makes it all the more offensive to me. It's as if Lightwave CORE is being published without it really being published, which just rubs me the wrong way.

Furthermore, I am opposed to restrictive EULA's as a matter of principle and have refused in the past to purchase products with such EULAs. One of the reasons I bought Lightwave 7.5 instead of Maya is that Maya had an unreasonable EULA (in that case, it was needing Alias' permission to move your copy of Maya beyond a certain distance). In this case, I don't like the fact that I can be required to keep a secret that isn't really a secret.

If Newtek were paying me for beta testing their product, it would be a different story.

If you register for HardCORE now, you're getting $200 off the price of the final upgrade (plus a bonafide Membership card and T-Shirt!)

That's not a direct payment, but it is compensation.

achrystie
02-06-2009, 02:03 PM
a) lw core will be production ready q4 .. ofcourse dont strictly stick to that since OPEN beta users are known to find bugs every last second and since core is NEW tool i expect we squash lot of bugs..

b) model render animate like LW was but on completely new core and with fully customization from interface to all other aspects. what newtek can do you can do also .. same sdk you will receive is the one newtek use to do core tools inside CORE.

Production ready with what specifically? Modeling how? (Versions of all the tools in 9.6 or something new, or half the functionality, just subD's or subd's and nurbs? spline tools?)?
What type of animation, all the features of 9.6 animation or just a timeline and "time aware" objects and the ability to import animation like Modo? Full GI rendering with full network support like 9.6? A full materials system? Particles (voxels or otherwise)? Hard/Soft/Cloth dynamics, none of the above? Can you point me to posts that indicate any of this, I've searched pretty extensively by keyword, and common Newtek employee names, and found none of this information, not even a more general statement.

c) SDK of core will be available shortly after beta 1 so this means q2 this year .....

this is all info gathered trough forum and contact and is not speculation of users this is official info given by NEWTEK .

Sounds good about the SDK, I'm just not sure, where on the forum was this timeline given? I searched and came up empty.

I appreciate the help. :D

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
If you register for HardCORE now, you're getting $200 off the price of the final upgrade (plus a bonafide Membership card and T-Shirt!)

That's not a direct payment, but it is compensation.

If I were required to perform beta testing in exchange for the discount, I might be persuaded to see it as compensation for beta testing. As it stands, I see it as compensation for subscribing early.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 02:08 PM

You can speak all you want, you just can't spread news about the development, added features, bugs, of Core. I'm not sure how that's unreasonable. If it's anything like the last few betas, we may even be able to show work done with Core in the public forums (although honestly, I can't remember if we were allowed to mention that the beta was used or not).
It's your choice and in my opinion your loss (both in money saved and time spent with the product) but if that's what you want.
As far as being paid to beta test, here's the thing about the Lightwave beta. You can be involved in it as much as you want. You can do nothing, or you can do a lot to test the software. People dont' get involved in the beta as a favor to Newtek, we get involved because we want to have a part in how it's developed and we want to be able to use the software as soon as possible. Believe me, we're helping Newtek out and Newtek is helping us out. I find it about as mutually pleasing of an agreement as you can find.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Oh, and by the way, I just signed up. 6056 here.

aidenvfx
02-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I will be soon just waiting to get some info regarding new lightwave customers who bought just before Feb 4th

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
You can speak all you want, you just can't spread news about the development, added features, bugs, of Core.Your statement is self-contradictory.

It's your choice and in my opinion your loss (both in money saved and time spent with the product) but if that's what you want.
Don't get me wrong. I think Lightwave CORE shows a great deal of promise, especially after asking for a rewrite ever since Lightwave v8 came out (no rewrite is the reason I still have only Lightwave 7.5, and part of the reason I'm using XSI Foundation instead). I'd just rather have Lightwave CORE under different terms.

Alliante
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Oh, and by the way, I just signed up. 6056 here.

This number alone doesn't reflect the number on this poll the lowest order number I've read was ~5700. So that's ~350+ from just that posted number (right now 70).

Good percentage of non-forum members are signing up if it's all HardCORE memberships. I'll assume it's total sales as order numbers are total web orders not just specific product orders.

Even if you estimate half of those being HardCORE memberships, that's still more than double the number on this poll.

Sorry about the grammar, a bit busy

bhughes3D
02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Ohh! My first post.

This is all a no-brainer for me. I've been looking for a new 3D app package for some weeks after being an owner of Carrara (and Bryce and Hexagon) for a about a year. (I won't get into details here.)

I'm a Broadcast TV Engineer so this is more hobby than a professional need for me. I work for a college so I started by looked at academic packages. I had bought Cinema 4D Studio bundle (at a deep discount) but remembered the LW CORE reveal was just around the corner and Modo 401 is nearing release. Thought it would be stupid to buy into a 3 year license for C4D R11 without seeing what was about to come out. Luckily I was able to cancel the order as it was backordered.

I originally put LW a bit lower on my list of potential choices due to the interface. After spending more time with the LW demo, I realized I didn't spend enough time with it. After watching the CORE video and reading and seeing the LW community here I decided that for the price of the companion upgrade I had the chance to get in on the ground floor of what looks to be a new future for LW.

So it really was a no-brainer. Buy LW 9.6 for a the companion upgrade and I get a great professional 3D package. LW CORE and the HardCORE membership look to be tasty icing on the cake. I'm excited to see the future.

P.S. I bought the full retail companion upgrade, not the academic license. I don't know if the academic license gives you access to LW CORE. Considering that C4D Studio academic (non-design) costs the same as LW 9 retail I wasn't too worried about the cost.

Skonk
02-06-2009, 02:35 PM

They ARE paying you to beta test their product.

Hardcore membership = a pre-order of Lightwave Core with a $200 discount and the ability to test the beta.

warrenwc
02-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Hardcore membership = a pre-order of Lightwave Core with a $200 discount and the ability to test the beta.

SOLD!
New computer is installing Vista updates now.
I'm comin' honey!

geothefaust
02-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Welcome to the forums sir, where a wonderfully helpful userbase will answer many questions if you pose them. :)

Ohh! My first post.

This is all a no-brainer for me. I've been looking for a new 3D app package for some weeks after being an owner of Carrara (and Bryce and Hexagon) for a about a year. (I won't get into details here.)

I'm a Broadcast TV Engineer so this is more hobby than a professional need for me. I work for a college so I started by looked at academic packages. I had bought Cinema 4D Studio bundle (at a deep discount) but remembered the LW CORE reveal was just around the corner and Modo 401 is nearing release. Thought it would be stupid to buy into a 3 year license for C4D R11 without seeing what was about to come out. Luckily I was able to cancel the order as it was backordered.

I originally put LW a bit lower on my list of potential choices due to the interface. After spending more time with the LW demo, I realized I didn't spend enough time with it. After watching the CORE video and reading and seeing the LW community here I decided that for the price of the companion upgrade I had the chance to get in on the ground floor of what looks to be a new future for LW.

So it really was a no-brainer. Buy LW 9.6 for a the companion upgrade and I get a great professional 3D package. LW CORE and the HardCORE membership look to be tasty icing on the cake. I'm excited to see the future.

P.S. I bought the full retail companion upgrade, not the academic license. I don't know if the academic license gives you access to LW CORE. Considering that C4D Studio academic (non-design) costs the same as LW 9 retail I wasn't too worried about the cost.

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 03:11 PM
They ARE paying you to beta test their productNope. See my reply to hrgiger.

Spending $200 less isn't the same as being paid. It's not even close.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Your statement is self-contradictory.

No, not really. You're acting as though they're clamping a metal trap over your mouth. If you agree to become a beta tester, you agree to abide by the NDA. It's an agreement, meaning mutual understanding. I can't understand your fear of not talking about a software package but as I said, that's your choice.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Ohh! My first post.

This is all a no-brainer for me.....

Very cool. I believe you have chosen wisely based on about 16 years of study.

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
No, not really. You're acting as though they're clamping a metal trap over your mouth.

No. I'm acting as if HardCORE membership is conditioned on not being allowed to disclose particular facts. Thus, your assertion that "you can speak all you want" is obviously false, and thus is your statement self-contradictory. The fact that I have to agree to the terms of an NDA (as opposed to agree with those terms) doesn't make your argument any less contradictory.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 03:24 PM
What's all this about beta testing and NDA's? CORE is not about beta testing in the sense of NDA's and what not.

CORE is about community and unity, not division. I have not seen one mention of beta testing/nda's.

JBT27
02-06-2009, 03:27 PM

That's it in a nutshell - seriously, what's so hard about this?

I could have said hardcore but didn't want to be flippant.....DOH!

Julian.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 03:30 PM
What's all this about beta testing and NDA's? CORE is not about beta testing in the sense of NDA's and what not.

CORE is about community and unity, not division. I have not seen one mention of beta testing/nda's.

Beta testers will be under an NDA, just as they have been since the beginning of Newteks open beta program. Unless Newtek is saying something otherwise.
As part of your hardcore membership, you will receive ongoing builds of Lightwave core, otherwise known as beta testing. http://newtek.com/core/ It's the first item under hardcore benefits.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Yeah but - That was 9...

JBT27
02-06-2009, 03:31 PM
This number alone doesn't reflect the number on this poll the lowest order number I've read was ~5700. So that's ~350+ from just that posted number (right now 70).

Good percentage of non-forum members are signing up if it's all HardCORE memberships. I'll assume it's total sales as order numbers are total web orders not just specific product orders.

Even if you estimate half of those being HardCORE memberships, that's still more than double the number on this poll.

Sorry about the grammar, a bit busy

This is intriguing me. About four or five hours after sales went live, someone posted saying they were 5,700 and something - impressive volume, but hellish on the poor sales staff, and the servers - so is that number genuine? I was 6003 this morning (UK time), which tallies believably with that earlier buyer, but that's like 300 or so in 24 hours, which is more plausible.

Odd, this.

I'm wondering if these are sales for whatever, either starting this calendar year, or from the start of NT's current financial year, and not purely HardCore Memberships.

Julian.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
No. I'm acting as if HardCORE membership is conditioned on not being allowed to disclose particular facts. Thus, your assertion that "you can speak all you want" is obviously false, and thus is your statement self-contradictory.

Now you're getting into semantics and bordering on ridiculous. Talk about entertainment, video games, your favorite color.... you just can't talk about beta software under development if there is to be an NDA. Not sure how that's so unreasonable.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah but - That was 9...

Why would they change now? We won't really know for sure until Core is ready for download to hardcore members. And I'm guessing that we'll be really the only ones to know about it.

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 03:37 PM
seriously, what's so hard about this?How about the fact that your bank account balance goes down as Newtek's goes up? On what strange planet would that be the same as you getting paid?

jasonwestmas
02-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Umm why would the Core forums be hidden if it wasn't NDA?

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Now you're getting into semantics and bordering on ridiculous.No. You're just looking unsuccessfully for a way to dismiss my argument as irrelevant. You're welcome to disagree, of course, but you're quite wrong.

Ivan D. Young
02-06-2009, 03:39 PM
#5841 reportinbg for duty Sir! Can't wait to get going on this. :devil:

Larry_g1s
02-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I picked: No, but plan to register in the coming days

I'm going to get it before 3/31/09, but I just want to see more before I plunker down the cash.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Beta testers will be under an NDA, just as they have been since the beginning of Newteks open beta program. Unless Newtek is saying something otherwise.
As part of your hardcore membership, you will receive ongoing builds of Lightwave core, otherwise known as beta testing. http://newtek.com/core/ It's the first item under hardcore benefits.

But there is no NDA. When I signed on for the beta of LW 9 I had to sign an NDA. Not so here. Exclusive only in that I am willing to part with money early to be a part of something that will grow into what others will wait and pay for when finished (as it were).

Unless I heard wrong from somebody (subliminal man comment here) just a few days ago.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM
No. You're just looking unsuccessfully for a way to dismiss my argument as irrelevant. You're welcome to disagree, of course, but you're quite wrong.

This is where most people would say whatever dude. I'll settle for that.

The point is, you don't like to be under an NDA. Somehow you feel your rights as an American or whatever are being violated. Sounds kind of tin foil hat to me, that's all. You don't have to be under an NDA if you don't want to be. I'll enjoy using the beta and not telling anyone else about it. Everyone's happy.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Umm why would the Core forums be hidden if it wasn't NDA?

Part of the exclusiveness and to make it easier for those that have chosen to hop on early to communicate.

jasonwestmas
02-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Part of the exclusiveness and to make it easier for those that have chosen to hop on early to communicate.

Definately a bonus!

hrgiger
But there is no NDA. When I signed on for the beta of LW 9 I had to sign an NDA. Not so here. Exclusive only in that I am willing to part with money early to be a part of something that will grow into what others will wait and pay for when finished (as it were).

I'm guessing that we're going to actually have to register for the Core beta seperate from just our registering to the Core forums. At that point, you will probably have to sign an NDA.

I could be wrong, but if we're not under NDA, why not just have a public download? What's the point in having a hardcore membership? It really doesn't make sense.

bhughes3D
Welcome to the forums sir, where a wonderfully helpful userbase will answer many questions if you pose them. :)

Thank you for replying, I'm sure I will have many questions soon. The community here is another reason I went with LW over C4D. While there are communities out there for Maxon, companies that really connect with their users are really appreciated by me.

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Somehow you feel your rights as an American or whatever are being violated.Don't put words into my mouth, sir.

Sounds kind of tin foil hat to me, that's all.That's because you put the tin-foil hat on the straw man's head yourself.

You don't have to be under an NDA if you don't want to be.I know. In fact, I was explaining to you why I probably won't become a HardCORE member. I'm explaining my choice not to be bound by the NDA.

I'll enjoy using the beta and not telling anyone else about it. Everyone's happy.Well... at least you are.

Kuzey
02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
There most likely will be a NDA once the beta starts, otherwise everyone will be posting screen grabs and what not. :hey:

Kuzey

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm guessing that we're going to actually have to register for the Core beta seperate from just our registering to the Core forums. At that point, you will probably have to sign an NDA.

I could be wrong, but if we're not under NDA, why not just have a public download? What's the point in having a hardcore membership? It really doesn't make sense.

Hardcore membership gives Newtek an infusion of cash - we are rewarded with the use of the software before anyone else (being an insane group - though lovely) and we are given an area to communicate with each other and the developers without a lot of excess noise. (Not that there's anything wrong with noise. :D

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM
At that point, you will probably have to sign an NDA.
Unfortunately, at that point you've already paid for the privilege. I was hoping the terms would be clear at the time of purchase, but apparently that is not the case.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, at that point you've already paid for the privilege. I was hoping the terms would be clear at the time of purchase, but apparently that is not the case.

Sure it is: What you see is what you get. No NDA after you've already paid for the privilege of being involved early on.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Hardcore membership gives Newtek an infusion of cash - we are rewarded with the use of the software before anyone else (being an insane group - though lovely) and we are given an area to communicate with each other and the developers without a lot of excess noise. (Not that there's anything wrong with noise. :D

No, we have always been free to discuss the beta with other beta testers (which in this case will include everyone who has access to the core forums, just not outside those forums). That's what I was referring to. I think Adrian is bothered because the information will not flow outside the Core forums, or at least, that he would not be able to from what I can gather.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Something I said. I could be wrong. I'll admit it if so. I wish we had a forum with chat with audio and cameras like DAZ's chat. I think. It might suck.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 04:09 PM
No, we have always been free to discuss the beta with other beta testers (which in this case will include everyone who has access to the core forums, just not outside those forums). That's what I was referring to. I think Adrian is bothered because the information will not flow outside the Core forums, or at least, that he would not be able to from what I can gather.

I have always had a thing about communication. It is really difficult. N'est pas? It's amazing that we can get anything done at all. :)

I just didn't won't the guy... wait a minute. If anyone wants to find some point of contention, some reason not to jump on board, then who am I to get in theyz way? Thanks hrgiger

Larry_g1s
02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I know. In fact, I was explaining to you why I probably won't become a HardCORE member. I'm explaining my choice not to be bound by the NDA.Seriously dude, you don't think there are bigger things then you not being "bound" by an NDA of a yet full release 3D app. Come on, go fight for something worth fighting for.

Greenlaw
02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
That is a good question but somehow I have the feeling we won't be able to load .lws files into Lightwave Core at all. It does say in the faqs we can load .lwo files still though.

My guess is that there will eventually be an importer that converts 'old' LightWave data to the CORE's native file format (once that's been nailed down of course.)

I'm just speculating of course. :)

Greenlaw

tribbles
02-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I would think it a /serious/ deficiency if they neglected the ability to import /all/ of the "older" file formats :)

Edited to add "older" meaning "current".

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Seriously dude, you don't think there are bigger things then you not being "bound" by an NDA of a yet full release 3D app.Of course there are "bigger things". Life does not consist solely of the "bigger things".

Come on, go fight for something worth fighting for.
You speak as if a talking on a forum were more significant than it really is.

JMCarrigan
02-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm starting to like this Adrian Lopez. Hey Adrian! You know John Wayne?

Adrian Lopez
02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
:D

I know who he is, but I'm not familiar enough with his movies to get the joke. Care to explain?

MiniFireDragon
02-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Checking in at 5922 - did it the evening after all hell broke loose as the button didn't work right when I tried it that night.

Larry_g1s
02-06-2009, 04:50 PM
You speak as if a talking on a forum were more significant than it really is.My point is, don't get your "panties in a wad" over something so small. :thumbsup:

geo_n
02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
6000 users bought overnight. Seems a lot. Is that actual numbers starting from 0? hehe. Didn't know there are that many us lw users around. I'm 1 lw user of 20plus max,maya cg artist I know in tokyo.
I wish the poll has usernames made public. Would have been more interesting to see who voted for what.
voted no.4. The 395US is cheap like a PS3 and with the subscription being not forced then its a good deal. But if I can't find a job with it in other companies then its paperweight. I'll see how the industry here will react before I invest time learning it. That's more important than the money seeing in another thread its 10 to 1 for maya,max artist job openings. Its the same everywhere I guess. I'm just trying to be realistic here with all the companies going under around the world.

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 10:26 PM
6000 users bought overnight. Seems a lot. Is that actual numbers starting from 0? hehe. Didn't know there are that many us lw users around. I'm 1 lw user of 20plus max,maya cg artist I know in tokyo.
I wish the poll has usernames made public. Would have been more interesting to see who voted for what.

I don't think the order numbers reflect actual sales numbers. Would be nice for Newtek if that were true! 6,000 upgrades at $395 a pop is over two million dollar overnight, I dont' think that's anywhere near accurate. A lot of people seemed to have bought in and by the time it's taking Newtek to get people registered for the Core forums only solidifies that. I'm sure that they're going to get a lot up front from initial reaction, have a slow steady stream for a while, and then get another smaller rush before the price goes up after March 31st. If the poll tells anything it's that more then half the users are definately going to upgrade, and the other half are at least considering it, some of whom are just waiting for more information on Core before they make the leap.

archijam
02-07-2009, 01:22 AM
No, I do not think I will, very disappointed here.
I was hoping LW would get realistic caustics until now, but now I see that was just a dream.
Seriously considering switching to Modo here :)

You thought the core announcement would be an announcement for caustics?

John Jordan
02-07-2009, 04:43 AM
Definately a bonus!

It's not a bonus if you are paying for it. It's a service.

pluMmet
02-07-2009, 04:48 AM
6000 users bought overnight. Seems a lot. Is that actual numbers starting from 0?

The number seems to have started from around 5700 and It's only people who have bought directly from NT. Those who buy thru dealers wouldn't have generated a NT order number.

John Jordan
02-07-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm waiting for a full feature list. I've used LW since 7.5 and the upgrade process has been more of a disappointment than a joy.
I know all the fanboys are happy but then again, they'd be happy if Newtek sent them a can of pork and beans calling it a step on the path to the future--as long as they got a t-shirt out of it. They simply will not take them to task over anything.
With each release, NT and I seem farther apart based on my needs.
Tear away menus and pretty colors are not what's holding me back.
Maybe CA tools in version 12? I hope the feature list is impressive to say the least.

bobakabob
02-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Considering all the upgrades we've had and what appears to be on offer, 395 is a no brainer.

mav3rick
02-07-2009, 05:03 AM
nothing is expensive if you make money with it... i own lw i make money i bought core i will make money with core.. i have invested like what 400 $ in core? big deal.... if i invested 1500$ i would again say BIG deal why? i make money out of tools that is main difference.... any1 complaining on 400 600 1000 1500 and than pay it off 20 times round in just single year is at least stupid...... when i buy new workstation i dont look how much it cost... i just put best cpu/ gfx card/ display/ etc.... and i do not regret on that.. i need powerfull work enviroment to deliver good quality to customers.... so complaining on 400$ for core subscription is really funny.... developers need money to develop . if we give them money they can hire more engineers, if there is more engineers we will get more frequent updates and better tools to work with.... simple as that.
so once again . lw core subscription is steal and i am sure once it shape in production ready enviroment every1 will start to pay it off and probable pay off in half of month.
big deal

John Jordan
02-07-2009, 05:35 AM
nothing is expensive if you make money with it... i own lw i make money i bought core i will make money with core.. i have invested like what 400 $ in core? big deal.... if i invested 1500$ i would again say BIG deal why? i make money out of tools that is main difference.... any1 complaining on 400 600 1000 1500 and than pay it off 20 times round in just single year is at least stupid...... when i buy new workstation i dont look how much it cost... i just put best cpu/ gfx card/ display/ etc.... and i do not regret on that.. i need powerfull work enviroment to deliver good quality to customers.... so complaining on 400$ for core subscription is really funny.... developers need money to develop . if we give them money they can hire more engineers, if there is more engineers we will get more frequent updates and better tools to work with.... simple as that.
so once again . lw core subscription is steal and i am sure once it shape in production ready enviroment every1 will start to pay it off and probable pay off in half of month.
big deal

Good for you. You make money with LW. A lot of people don't yet. Maybe you are a big fish in a small pond. If spending money without a thought as to what you are getting makes sense to you, go for it. But questioning the wisdom of spending money on what is basically a white paper at this point makes people stupid? Or are you calling people stupid who just don't agree with you? Either way, you make the hardCORE adoptees look intolerant. The users here have different needs and aren't the 3D god you seem to be.
I agree they need money to develop. So you are saying they have been GIVING Lightwave away? I paid for mine. To be sure, they have had some good upgrade offers but they aren't top of the heap and they needed to do some dealing at that time to keep the base.
I guess the moderators think it's ok to call dissenters or doubters stupid however.

Fadlabi
02-07-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm in. I will register in a few days. I just needed to know that Core would run on my old Mac as a new machine seems to be moving further into the future do to the economy. But Core that's something I can buy now.

I am using PowerMac Daul Processors G5 2GHz, i hope core work well on my mac.

mav3rick
02-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Good for you. You make money with LW. A lot of people don't yet. Maybe you are a big fish in a small pond. If spending money without a thought as to what you are getting makes sense to you, go for it. But questioning the wisdom of spending money on what is basically a white paper at this point makes people stupid? Or are you calling people stupid who just don't agree with you? Either way, you make the hardCORE adoptees look intolerant. The users here have different needs and aren't the 3D god you seem to be.
I agree they need money to develop. So you are saying they have been GIVING Lightwave away? I paid for mine. To be sure, they have had some good upgrade offers but they aren't top of the heap and they needed to do some dealing at that time to keep the base.
I guess the moderators think it's ok to call dissenters or doubters stupid however.

i am far from big fish... i am one man band but successful in 3d environment.. and if i can make money why you can't make money? .

Andyjaggy
02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I just wish Newtek would give us some more information.

Blindly spending money on a software package that I have no idea what the capabilites are is just dumb imo.

Why hasn't Newtek given us more information? They had a huge build up campaign announcing this huge product and then suddnely they give us aboslutely no useful information about it's features. A cryptic core page with a list of features that tell me nothing about the capability of the program. Why would they not give us more information. It tells me that Core is nothing more then a shell at the moment, a great framework to build upon, but is currently empty of any useful features at the moment.

mikala
02-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I'll be glad once I join to leave the whiners in this forum behind.
It's the new Lightwave. It is where it is going like it or not. Jump in with the new technology or go learn another software. This whining is so tiresome.

jasonwestmas
02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
It's not a bonus if you are paying for it. It's a service.

I serve my cat food and water without charge! It's all on me.

Hopper
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
i choose 4 position. I will that trial needed even i'm trying 9 now.
November 3 position toast ferris wheel? Windy clowns in cat hats, silence they ride.

JMCarrigan
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
November 3 position toast ferris wheel? Windy clowns in cat hats, silence they ride.

:ohmy:

BlueApple
02-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Generally I like to demo software before I but it. The demo we saw of Core didn't have anything that got me terribly excited, though the feature list does bode well for the future.

If I saw some video of Core doing some real mind-blowing things I would happily upgrade without a trial version available. It's unfortunate because I'd like to be a part of the Beta, and take advantage of the early-bird discount.

Newtek, if you demonstrate (with video) some whiz-bang features that Core can do out of the box then I'm in.

Hopper
02-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Woohoo! #6127 - That was one expensive desktop wallpaper.

Got a pleasant surprise doing my taxes this evening. :)

KillMe
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
(forgive me in advance for this as i'm about to delve into the area of law - thought this is scots law technically so might be different in other parts of the world)

legally speaking all terms and conditions to be included in any valid contract must be known to both parties and agreed upon before the formation of the contract

as such a nda agreement for being part of hardcore would have to have been in the terms and conditions before you handed over your cash or its not part of the contract and if newtek failed to let you have access to all the goodies because you didn't sign an nda then they would be in brach of contract and you could sue them for damages (not punative damages only to basically get your money back or any money that you can show you would have made from having access to the stuff)

now dont know about you but i always ignour the whoel terms and conditions and just hit yes i read it all and i accept without ever reading it so it could well be that they have nda acceptance in the terms and conditions and if they dont and want one if they read this post will likely have it in there soon and hope knowone can bring up a copy of what was up to start with =)

John Jordan
02-07-2009, 06:32 PM
i am far from big fish... i am one man band but successful in 3d environment.. and if i can make money why you can't make money? .

I do make money. I'm glad you are doing so well in Croatia.

John Jordan
02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
I serve my cat food and water without charge! It's all on me.

Same here. I'm sure your cat is grateful for the good care he/she gets.

John Jordan
02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I'll be glad once I join to leave the whiners in this forum behind.
It's the new Lightwave. It is where it is going like it or not. Jump in with the new technology or go learn another software. This whining is so tiresome.

It's all tiresome--The complaining and the Kool-Aid drinking.

Hopper
02-07-2009, 06:44 PM
as such a nda agreement for being part of hardcore would have to have been in the terms and conditions before you handed over your cash or its not part of the contract and if newtek failed to let you have access to all the goodies because you didn't sign an nda then they would be in brach of contract and you could sue them for damages (not punative damages only to basically get your money back or any money that you can show you would have made from having access to the stuff)
I think that's a fair statement and from a legal standpoint - absolutely true.

But you know we're all in it just for the t-shirt.

anim8r
02-07-2009, 07:29 PM
(forgive me in advance for this as i'm about to delve into the area of law - thought this is scots law technically so might be different in other parts of the world)

legally speaking all terms and conditions to be included in any valid contract must be known to both parties and agreed upon before the formation of the contract

now dont know about you but i always ignour the whoel terms and conditions and just hit yes i read it all and i accept without ever reading it so it could well be that they have nda acceptance in the terms and conditions and if they dont and want one if they read this post will likely have it in there soon and hope knowone can bring up a copy of what was up to start with =)

All they need to do is add a EULA at the install prompt (like many other programs that you can buy through electronic purchase PRIOR to seeing any form of useage contract).

When prompted by the EULA, simply click no if you don't like the terms, and get your money back.

Legal precedence has already been set concerning beta software programs--ad nauseum. You would hardly have a leg to stand once you broke any NDA that comes with the software. This thread is a simple example of the basic knowledge most people have concerning beta software and they very common (and expected) practice of them being protected by NDA's.

Also, acceptance to the forum would undoubtedly have another set of rules of membership posted somewhere on the board. Break them and you will lose your membership. No refund necessary.

Just my 2 cents

Wade
02-07-2009, 07:32 PM

Maybe.

They might just give you an out and offer you your money back, but is that really what you want? 395.00 would be the damages if any. I think we are getting a steal at 395.00 really you will have the program in less than six weeks to use comment on the influence the development of. My guess and it's just that is that it will be working better than 9.6 in many areas and have most of the old functions plus many new ones. And in six months or better it will be a work of art. Maybe I dream but for me it is so much better than dropping 3K on any other program.

The more I read and re-read the tec/facts sheets the more I think they really have done something well worth my money.

Plus I really like the fact that they did not trash the old LW but spent so much time on getting it to the point it is now and I think they are still willing to squash bugs - just seems that way to me.

Peace love and polys.

Hopper
02-07-2009, 07:45 PM
When prompted by the EULA, simply click no if you don't like the terms, and get your money back.
Not necessarily.

I know we've beaten this subject into the ground especially in the other thread, but keep this in mind...

You are NOT paying for the beta. You are paying a discounted amount for an upgrade to the LightWave Core final release, which "happens" to come with a "membership" allowing you to participate in a beta program if you so choose. If you choose not to participate, you are still getting exactly what you paid for.

Now if you get the final version and don't agree with the EULA, then yeah, you could probably request your money back.

hrgiger
02-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I am still waiting to hear why an NDA is so bad and why people are so against it. Because I don't like it is not an answer.

jbavar
02-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm in baby:D

JohnMarchant
02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I will probably be in but will wait a few weeks and hopefully see some more info on whats happening. If what has been said so far ends up happening then im sure i will get it eventually. Im also happy that i will get a t-shirt to :):):)

anim8r
02-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Not necessarily.

I know we've beaten this subject into the ground especially in the other thread, but keep this in mind...

You are NOT paying for the beta. You are paying a discounted amount for an upgrade to the LightWave Core final release, which "happens" to come with a "membership" allowing you to participate in a beta program if you so choose. If you choose not to participate, you are still getting exactly what you paid for.

Now if you get the final version and don't agree with the EULA, then yeah, you could probably request your money back.

Say what you like. Think what you wish.

The beta software WILL come with a EULA. Guaranteed. Without question. Your membership to the forum will also come with rules. All memberships do.

If anyone here wants to see what happens when they break the EULA or forum rules? Knock yourself out.

Hopper
02-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Say what you like. Think what you wish.
The beta software WILL come with a EULA. Guaranteed. Without question.
Of course. I wouldn't expect any less nor did I say it wouldn't.

Your membership to the forum will also come with rules. All memberships do.
Just like it does now. So what's your point?

Cageman
02-08-2009, 04:23 AM
Ok.. I've purchased HardCORE... :)

But it asks me of my membership number when I want to register it. What is membership number and where can I find it?

:)

Drocket
02-08-2009, 04:27 AM
Ok.. I've purchased HardCORE... :)

But it asks me of my membership number when I want to register it. What is membership number and where can I find it?

:)

Your membership ID is in the email they sent you when you purchased, I think they call it "License Key".

Cageman
02-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Your membership ID is in the email they sent you when you purchased, I think they call it "License Key".

Thanks! That helped! Wonder why the call it membership number at the registration page and licence key in email? I tried those four numbers first, as they were called something id..

Oh well... everything is sorted now.

Drocket
02-08-2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks! That helped! Wonder why the call it membership number at the registration page and licence key in email? I tried those four numbers first, as they were called something id..

Oh well... everything is sorted now.

lol, I did exactly the same thing as well, oh well, welcome aboard :)

crashnburn
02-08-2009, 05:55 AM
I just want to see what core has to offer over 9.6 before I pay up. I think that if we had not had so many updates over the last couple of years this would definately be a no brainer for me. I like Lightwave and I think Newtek offer the highest bang for the buck out there at the moment. So although I am holding off from joining right at this moment I have no malice towards Newtek, or any justifiable to not trust them. I can't understand the almost paranoia from some people. So what if there's an NDA, no one ever complained before. I do think some sort of demo would be nice, but then again Jay did say there were more videos to come (hopefully before March 31st (Hurry Up!!) :D ). So for me, I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

To those that have joined.....great, I hope to join you if it's going to benefit me. To those that haven't, there's going to be more information in time. It's not like 9.6 has expired and we're left with nothing but CORE.

cresshead
02-08-2009, 06:49 AM
i think most people moaning about a 'possible' NDA are people how have no intention of buying into hardCORE in the near future for either economic reasons or just they dont' 'do' beta software but they really want to know about lightwave core and feel the exclusive core forums will get the info and with an NDA in place they won't get any good into on what's happening with lioghtwave core and so will be 'left in the dark' on the outside of all the developments in lightwave core...which is valid but if you think for a moment newtek STILL need to SELL lightwave core so newtek WILL be releaseing info as developments move toward the final release...

for people who ARE on hardCORE membership i can't see much problem with an NDA 'if' there is going to be one...they can still create images and post them for other hardcore forum member to comment on...

anim8r
02-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Just like it does now. So what's your point?

I thought you had disagreed with my previous post. I'm guessing you only disagreed on the refund issue.

That really wasn't the point of my post though.

No hard feelings :thumbsup:

Cageman
02-08-2009, 10:26 AM

A public download would remove everything exclusive with a CORE membership, however, being able to go to CGTalk or SpinQuad and talk about my use of CORE would be great. If feature x just pops up in a beta-build and I know some people who would die to get hands on with that feature would all of a sudden feel it was worthwhile jumping into HardCORE membership. In such a case, NewTek just got 2 new hardCORE members....

warrenwc
02-08-2009, 10:37 AM
How do I change my vote?
I'm in.:lwicon:

mattclary
02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
No. I'm acting as if HardCORE membership is conditioned on not being allowed to disclose particular facts. Thus, your assertion that "you can speak all you want" is obviously false, and thus is your statement self-contradictory. The fact that I have to agree to the terms of an NDA (as opposed to agree with those terms) doesn't make your argument any less contradictory.

You can talk all you want in the CORE forum. Why do you feel the need to broadcast what you know to God and everybody? And that's assuming there is any kind of NDA...

I think you are just being cantankerous, what's the real issue?

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 02:05 PM
I think you are just being cantankerous, what's the real issue?

Yes, cantankerous is the word I was looking for.

Animapper
02-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Just curious to see how many people have made the small leap of faith already to Core after a small glimpse and less then a day of order availability.

I'll be joining after the next set of videos come out. Jay said more were coming and there are still a lot of unanswered questions about workflow. It seems we are on the softimage path now which is an entirely node based setup. It's fast once you get your head around it.

So probably by the end of February I would hope!

Regards,

Hopper
02-08-2009, 04:23 PM
I thought you had disagreed with my previous post. I'm guessing you only disagreed on the refund issue.

That really wasn't the point of my post though.

No hard feelings :thumbsup:
None taken. Until we get absolute definitive answers from NewTek, I'm sure the whole NDA, beta, membership thing is going to go around in circles a few more times - We'll just have to wait for the answers.

Larry_g1s
02-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I'll be joining after the next set of videos come out. I'm in the same boat.

HoMe
02-08-2009, 10:55 PM
#5955 :)

the best way is to wait for the last day then you have more from the membership..... this thoughts comes me after the registration.

HoMe

mav3rick
02-09-2009, 05:39 AM
lol, I did exactly the same thing as well, oh well, welcome aboard :)

me 2

Larry_g1s
02-09-2009, 09:21 AM
#5955 :)

the best way is to wait for the last day then you have more from the membership..... this thoughts comes me after the registration.

HoMeWhat do you mean?

Hopper
02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
So what's it going to take to get access to the Core forums... yeah, yeah.. I know.. They'll get around to it.. but I'm so impatient... GIMME!! GIMME!!!

hrgiger
02-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes, I figured I'd have it by the time I came home from work today (around 5 est) but I guess they havent' gotten to mine yet. Nice to think it's because they've gotten so many orders for hardcore that I'm that far down the list.

Larry_g1s
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Alright...I need to change my answer, I'm in now! lol
So I just wait for an e-mail now or what?

jasonwestmas
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah wait for the email, then register after you buy so you can get info from the Hardcore forum.

fyrissian
02-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Purchased. Still waiting for my email to get access... "Patience. Waiting is."

mav3rick
02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
welcome

Paul Brunson
02-13-2009, 06:46 PM
So currently the poll has 102 people reporting registering for hardCore at $395. Which means Newtek has at least already got $40,290 they can throw at LW Core development!

(Granted that probably doesn't even pay one of their programmers salaries for a year, but its a start :D)

hrgiger
02-13-2009, 07:11 PM
So currently the poll has 102 people reporting registering for hardCore at $395. Which means Newtek has at least already got $40,290 they can throw at LW Core development!

(Granted that probably doesn't even pay one of their programmers salaries for a year, but its a start :D)

It's not about overall numbers, it's about percentages.

You have 60% of participants in the survey who have either already upgraded or plan to as soon as they have the money.

Then you have another 37% who you have to figure will upgrade if Core can deliver the features and power that they want.

Only 3% say they are not interested. When you consider that you probably have a few people who just voted because they're modo users who hate LW, and were never going to purchase anyway, that 3% even becomes suspect.

It's up to Newtek, if they can showcase more of Cores capabilities in the coming weeks, I think you'll see that 60% of upgraders who up.

Sarford
02-14-2009, 04:29 AM
Dear Simon,
Thank you for your order. Your order number is 6300.
Your total is $395.00. Thank you for your business.

A nice round number :)

iainbyoung
02-14-2009, 06:16 AM
Ooo, you just beat me. Order number 6301 here :D

A Mejias
02-16-2009, 03:49 AM
I was so very excited! But with the ecconomy the way it is and the total lack of new info after that lack luster reveal, I may skip the first LW Core iteration altogether.

I still think that it's a great deal IF they deliver something usable by 03-31-09. Otherwise it's just money locked into an unproven product that may or may not deliver on the as yet unknown feature list.

hrgiger
02-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Ooo, you just beat me. Order number 6301 here :D

If our guesses are correct, and they started selling Core memberships at around order #5700, that means about 600 core memberships sold so far. That would be around a quarter of a million if they were all the $395 upgrades.

Larry_g1s
02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Purchased. Still waiting for my email to get access... "Patience. Waiting is."I would in about an hour push refresh on the forums. I did to see the new section added...I still never got the e-mail so don't wait on that to let you know your in.

JMCarrigan
02-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Purchased. Still waiting for my email to get access... "Patience. Waiting is."

"Waiting is."? Michael Valentine Smith no doubt.

Cyberfish_Fred
02-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi,

I did it, payed and now I must be able to see the hardCORE forums but I can't find them, where is it?

animotion
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I'll wait to see if core has things that will make a real difference in production here. I am really interested in animation deformation and built in rigging controls. I will buy into it when I see advanced CA tools.

If not, I will stay with 9.6. I can do everything I need to now but it just takes a lot longer than I would like.
Here is to hoping.

jasonwestmas
02-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Hi,

I did it, payed and now I must be able to see the hardCORE forums but I can't find them, where is it?

When they add you to the forums manually, you should be able to see them right above the old Beta forums or at the very bottom of the page.

JohnMarchant
02-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Well i joined a few weeks ago and still dont have access to the forums or see a link above or below the last beta section. Ive cleared cookies and everything but no joy. I have a link to it but it says i have no permission to veiw this forum :(:(:(:(

Skinner3D
02-18-2009, 08:23 AM
I do believe I will upgrade sometime here, especially since Lighwave is my software of choice. If I don't upgrade I will miss out on completely and totally more powerful Lightwaving. Unfortutely I don't have the money now to upgrade, and upgrading my archaic computer (so it can run lightwave better :D) comes first.

I think by the time I have the money it will be up to the full 800 price or whatever. Oh well, I find some way to do it :D

geothefaust
02-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Oh resist... I dare you! I know you wont be able to once you see [deleted]!!

lol

I was so very excited! But with the ecconomy the way it is and the total lack of new info after that lack luster reveal, I may skip the first LW Core iteration altogether.

I still think that it's a great deal IF they deliver something usable by 03-31-09. Otherwise it's just money locked into an unproven product that may or may not deliver on the as yet unknown feature list.

Cyberfish_Fred
02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
yes I can see the CORE now, I was to fast yesterday or newtek to slow ;-)

Thanks!!

Fred

animotion
02-18-2009, 08:55 AM
The up front price break is cool but its pretty much useless if I don't see the type of features that I am looking for especially in this bad economy.

It would do them well to publish all feature information to the open community as well as people that joined.

lwaddict
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Is the forum up and going?
Have they giving out the first round of beta copies?

Any news whatsoever would be great.

wacom
02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
You should have had the option "I would, but I'm strapped for cash and in need of work."

If I get more work soon I'll do it- but historically this is a slow time for me...too bad really...

mouse_art
02-18-2009, 02:32 PM
And then you have to think about dark figures(?) who don't even voted, like me and others. ;)

jasonwestmas
02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Well i joined a few weeks ago and still dont have access to the forums or see a link above or below the last beta section. Ive cleared cookies and everything but no joy. I have a link to it but it says i have no permission to veiw this forum :(:(:(:(

Strange. . .you of course registered your LW Core License from the Email didn't you?

DiedonD
02-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Im waiting to see weather some plots that Im seeking through, work well enough for me to have the much important but hugely underestimated TIME to even go through Protons 9.x vids first! And then consider Core!

But I wonder if that would be a waste of knowledge!

Wouldnt want to go through all those vids in gaining knowledge of using LW better, and then figuring out that CORE turned out to be something completely different in the end!

colkai
02-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Wouldnt want to go through all those vids in gaining knowledge of using LW better, and then figuring out that CORE turned out to be something completely different in the end!

Ahh, knowledge is never wasted. :)
At the very worst, it could put you in the right frame of mind to tackle a new problem, I hold that info learned way back from the likes of the Applied5.6C book by Dave Jerrard remain relevant and useful, the tool may get ramped up, but understanding when to apply the tool would not change and that is the more important thing. :thumbsup:

Bytehawk
02-20-2009, 05:08 AM
yep, and that was one of the best books I have had for LW. The castle tutorial is the one that got me familiar with the modeler toolset.

colkai
02-20-2009, 05:37 AM
yep, and that was one of the best books I have had for LW. The castle tutorial is the one that got me familiar with the modeler toolset.

Not to drag the thread OT for too long, but couldn't agree more, love that book, DJ is da man. :agree:
I'd go so far as to say, even now, there is a heck of a lot folks could learn from it. Cylindrical textures with falloff? Easy, make your object a cone, but a very..very..very flat one. :)

JCG
02-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I still jump for it every time I need HV water. That tut still works almost step by step.

Anyway, in case people were still curious, it would seem that as of this moment the membership numbers are on 6414.

dballesg
02-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Well I joined officially today to CORE! :D

Liber777
02-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Sooo.... now that I've joined HardCORE, I can't change my poll answer?

lardbros
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Just joined... it must be because it's late and im feeling a bit flash with the cash... but i like the concept, and a LW fan anyway, and can't wait for the development.

It's far more exciting reading the Core stuff than any of the Autodesk press releases... i get so fed up using 3dsmax at work.

Good on ya newtek for taking a giant leap o faith with this Core stuff, im going to join you on this leap. :thumbsup:

bobakabob
02-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Just joined... it must be because it's late and im feeling a bit flash with the cash... but i like the concept, and a LW fan anyway, and can't wait for the development.

It's far more exciting reading the Core stuff than any of the Autodesk press releases... i get so fed up using 3dsmax at work.

Good on ya newtek for taking a giant leap o faith with this Core stuff, im going to join you on this leap. :thumbsup:

Me too... I'll have to limit the beer intake this month.

calilifestyle
02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I can wait. No big deal. i spend all my time in Solid works it's no big deal. If anything i might have to just upgrade my Modo before LWcore.

lwaddict
02-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Has anyone who jumped onboard for Core received a copy yet?

Have the boards started?

Any news at all?

JohnMarchant
02-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Has anyone who jumped onboard for Core received a copy yet?

Have the boards started?

Any news at all?

No one has its not expected until end march.

Boards are already open, active and interesting

Need to join to get more news outside the main forum

Igu4n4
02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I joined the subscription team today. I see mention of the CORE forums up and running. I do not see them in the list of forums.. was there an alternate place to be looking?

Or does it take a certain amount of time for the option to become available in the forum listings after registration?

curious.

Steve

iainbyoung
02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Or does it take a certain amount of time for the option to become available in the forum listings after registration?

You have to wait for a human to press a few buttons :) Mine took about a day to activate after I registered the serial number.

Igu4n4
02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
ahh.. those humans.. always slowing stuff down ;)

Thanks for the heads up.

Steve.

Psyhke
02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
How long did it take everyone to receive their HC serial number e-mail? It seems like people are getting them faster than me. I joind 8 days ago, but haven't recieved any e-mail at all about my HC membership.

Maybe it's because I had to join HC by upgrading my 8.5 license, and they are treating those memberships as an afterthought.

EDIT: Ah, the gods of 3D have shined upon me today. It appears I have been granted access. Thanks Newtek.

Liber777
02-24-2009, 02:09 PM
I signed up on Monday the 23rd and had my membership number within 30 minutes or so, and access to the forums within an hour or two after that.

hrgiger
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I never received an email. The forums just showed up a couple days later (it was over the weekend as I signed up on a friday). You may have to sign out and sign back in for them to show up if they've been activated for you.

Psyhke
02-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I'm in now. Right after I posted the forums showed up (didn't get an e-mail either). Delving into the forums now. :thumbsup:

KorbenD
03-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Just joined, #6533. Waiting for the forums to show up now. :)

taleequale
03-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to join the CORE.. but I'm still waiting for an answer since last night..

I pushed up the button "Place Your Order" in the billing page at Newtek yesterday and nothing seems to happens..

I've tried to contact NT by email.. but no answer..

any advice..

bye

Animapper
03-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Well I made the leap into Hardcore! Number 6695! Hopefully we'll be starting soon!

Ernest
03-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Since the orders seem to have started at 5700, it seems that only five are missing for the 1000 Hardcorers.

taleequale
03-21-2009, 02:22 PM
just joined.. 6697

archijam
03-21-2009, 02:29 PM

... apparently my old dutch credit card still works ;)

Bill_Evans
03-21-2009, 03:51 PM

... apparently my old dutch credit card still works ;)

My number when I joined on Thursday was 6674, I forgot about this thread :)

-Bill'