PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Newtek, from an XSI guy.

r10k
02-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Nice work on the launch! Shame to see the launch vid became a Command & Conquer cutscene remake, but it was well spoken anyhow ;)

Also, it's nice to see a company finally get the pricing model right, allowing people to pay for extra support if they want it, but not penalising those who simply want the program (providing free updates and the like). That's something that has been sorely lacking in the industry. Also, the way you guys have quickly filled in the community has been refreshing to see.

I have no idea what Autodesk will do to XSI, but if things go south, I'll come and check out Core down the track.

For now, I'm off to play with an ICE fluid sim :D (sorry, just had to throw that one in!) To all the whiners on this forum, shuts up and enjoy what you have here. It might not have been a perfect reveal, but I'm guessing some great things will be coming your way shortly.

COBRASoft
02-05-2009, 07:50 PM
It's nice to see somebody from the 'other' side posting this. It is strange that you understand CORE better than many LW users inhere though.

I wish you luck with your nice ICE, be sure to come back when we are having CORE fluids with our superb render engine and GPU support :thumbsup:

Cageman
02-05-2009, 07:57 PM
It's nice to see somebody from the 'other' side posting this. It is strange that you understand CORE better than many LW users inhere though.

Not that strange actually. XSI and Maya users have had this type of working environment for years. Strangely as it may sound, but despite the issues with the presentation, I know a bunch of Maya users (who have toyed with LW but never liked it) to be impressed with the direction CORE is taking.

As a Maya/LW user myself, I'm very, very excited about CORE.

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Having spent some time with XSI last year, I have to say the history/modifier stack looks familiar. The interface looks like a cross between Silo and Modo but Jonas mentioned that it was a protoype so it may end up looking different by the time it's released. Also, the techfaq page on Core sounds a lot like the way ICE works in XSI but if that's the case, I hope it's just a tad bit more friendly to your everyday artist rather then a tool for TD's. I loved working with the modifier stack in XSI, very powerful.

r10k
02-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I wish you luck with your nice ICE, be sure to come back when we are having CORE fluids with our superb render engine and GPU support

Hehe... time will tell :)

I hope it's just a tad bit more friendly to your everyday artist rather then a tool for TD's.

I can't imagine something with the flexibility of ICE being much easier to use than it currently is in XSI. Even though I'm a game guy and not a TD, even I can see it's a beautiful implimentation. The debugging tools alone are amazing. That said, I'm hopful you guys will also wind up with a really nice system as well (or even better), since the core (har har) of the application has been rewritten.

One of the developers of Realsoft3D once said that 3D software development is like building a pyramid. Sooner or later you get to the tip, and then to build higher you need to redesign the base and start again. The choice to rebuild the base of Lightwave is a smart move, and no doubt the development of the program will reach new heights because of it.

adamredwoods
02-05-2009, 11:46 PM
I dont know about nodes... I know people love em, but personally I can't stand em.

I come from an After Effects background, so layers all the way. Just faster than trying to "debug" a bunch of nodes.

r10k
02-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Both have their pros and cons. Some are better suited to certain situations than others... the thought of trying to sort out XSI's Render and ICE trees with layers is the stuff of nightmares. They're a classic example of why nodes are so good in that context. On the other hand, I prefer layers for compositing, because although nodes allow you to swap out and try other ideas easier, layers are much more straight forward.

stealthoperator
02-06-2009, 02:58 AM
I don't see what the others are whinig about...
The Lightwave CORE concept sounds great. And the pricing model sounds very fair to me.

The question now is what kind of features the new version of lightwave will bring and if it's going to run stable. But this can't be answered right now.

I think it looks very very promising! It's very nice to see Newtek catching up with the big ones. And still keeping the fair price model.

mav3rick
02-06-2009, 03:13 AM
very nice and welcome to core familly ... hopefully you jump on lw bandwagon and joy the wild ride with rest of coreboys :)

spigolo
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
everybody seem so excited that we will have a sort of ICE possibility..
I rather think that what NT did with core is more familiar to the Houdini approach, and this makes me very happy as Houdini is so far away from all others 3d applications..that ICE looks like a poor toy in comparison..

Nicolas Jordan
02-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Looks like Core is to Lightwave what XSI is to Softimage and Max is to 3D Studio as well as what Maya is to Power Animator. :D

phillydee
02-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Having peered over the fence over to XSI, I personally am really excited to what Newtek is doing with CORE and the direction it's going both as an app and as a product that NT sells.

I honestly have to say I was extremely disapointed when hearing that Avid sold Softimage XSI to Autodesk--I immediately called my partner and informed him about this, as we at around that time had been considering getting a license or two of XSI 7. We had spent a lot of time discussing this at Sig'08 and we were very excited at the possibilities of workflow when Autodesk took over. Who knows now what will happen... Not to say that we won't end up getting a seat of XSI anyway--but I can't help but agree with you about the pricepoint. I'm still a firm believer in Lightwave, so this upgrade/HardCORE purchase makes total sense to me.

@hrgiger: @ the UI, do you think a development environment such as Qt will allow for guys like Matt the Lightwave VX project guy to finally dig in and create custom UI's for CORE? I was on his site a few days ago and it looks like there's a v2 of the LWVx project...