PDA

View Full Version : Can particles be emitted at fixed rate?

ghostlight
02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey all! I'm trying to shoot bullet shells out of machine guns for a movie. I'm using a particle emitter with FX Linker.

Everything's working perfectly, but I want my particle emitter to shoot out about 8.2 bullets per second, or roughly .34 bullets per frame. I can enter these settings in the particle emitter, but it only seems to shoot them out an irregular intervals. I'd like it to be a machine-steady rate, because - hey - it's a machine gun.

Anybody know how to do this?

ghostlight
02-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I guess everyone's too busy speculating about Core. Nobody cares about poor little me. Sniff.

DBMiller
02-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I think the "Key Effect" tab in the emitter properties panel will work for that. In Kurv studio's Particles tutorials Tim Dunn goes over this tab quickly but I think that may be the one you need. That or "Generate by Frame" rather than by Second, in the "Generate by" tab.

zapper1998
02-06-2009, 05:31 PM
there is a scene in the content folder that has a machine gun setup...
can't think of where it is in the content folder.....hmmmm

Weepul
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Yep, your options are pretty much limited to 1. emitting one particle every frame (otherwise it'll emit randomly like you've found), 2. emitting one per keyframe event (requiring you to make a key for every shot) or 3. making an emits-per-frame envelope that spikes up to one whenever you want a particle.

I once came up with the idea of making an LScript channel modifier to ease regular/gun-like particle emission envelopes, but never followed through. :thumbsdow

ghostlight
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys! Setting "Generate by" to Frame and using Key Effect spat out the Birth Rate number of particles whenever the emitter has a keyframe. Perfect for what I need.

Much obliged!

DBMiller
02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys! Setting "Generate by" to Frame and using Key Effect spat out the Birth Rate number of particles whenever the emitter has a keyframe. Perfect for what I need.

Much obliged!

See, we do care!:thumbsup: