PDA

View Full Version : Core Questions....

lwanmtr
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
How many core threads will there be? LOL

Anyway...Kinda excited about core, but there were a few things not answered by the techfaq..

Fileformat..Collada will the be the default, but LWO will be supported (something I'm happy about), but what about LWS? I hope there is some sort of export or something because I would like some backward compatibility, at least until I'm comfortable moving to Core all the way...

Surfaces...will surface settings and nodes of current objects be supported?

ZBones...Will ZBones still be there? Primarily interested because I have stuff that uses them..at least until I can get into whatever new system Core has..

FFX...Will FFX be replaced?

Hypervoxels....Will there be a new HV system? Will stuff done in the current HV work?

I know that we'll prolly know more shortly, but those were just things off the top of my head....

Celshader
02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Fileformat..Collada will the be the default, but LWO will be supported (something I'm happy about), but what about LWS? I hope there is some sort of export or something because I would like some backward compatibility, at least until I'm comfortable moving to Core all the way...

I hope LWCore offers an LWS importer, too, but if not...I can think of a workaround.

Right now 9.5 and 9.6 both offer COLLADA exporters. So, on the 0.1% chance NewTek fails to include an LWS importer, folks could still export their work from 9.6 in COLLADA format and then load the results into LWCore.

animotion
02-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Do you really think that NT would not have a way of loading the 768 billion .lws files that we all have? I think there is a very easy answer, YES.

lwanmtr
02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
If ya read it, I was talking bout exporting to lws

Celshader
02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
If ya read it, I was talking bout exporting to lws

Whoops. In that case...what about 9.6's COLLADA importer..? Export from LWCore in COLLADA format, and import the results into 9.6.

lwanmtr
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
i have not used collada in 9.6 hehe

Verlon
02-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Same as I posted in another thread --

Well I have several questions on the matter, and this was one of them.

1. FFIV owners were told by NT that the next paid upgrade would be free. Does this count?

2. Besides $100, is there any difference between a "charter member" and the membership you get on April Fool's Day (April 1, 2009)?

3. When does the clock start on your one year membership: the day you pay, or the official day of release in Q4, or some other day? What happens if you (Newtek) miss the Q4 launch day?

4. Core is clearly not LW9, yet 'further developments to LW9 are mentioned in the video. Do LW9 owners get those 'further updates,' too? Or will they be restricted to Core owners?

5. Do said updates to 9 include the modeler enhancements we were told about when we pre-ordered?

6. I have never used subscription software before. What happens when my core membership expires? Can I still use the old version of Core or does it deactivate?

7. Does LW Core have CC Sub-Ds working?

8. Explain GPU-aware. Does this mean it will use the latest openGL to the fullest for fastest previews? Does it mean that it will leverage the GPU for floating point math to aid in render times? In either case (specifically please) will it deal with SLI? Crossfire? The new 3 card configurations?

9. Will there be a demo version as there is for LW9? Student version?

10. Times are tough. Can we wash the cars and mow the grass at NT HQ to work off some of the upgrade prices? (ok that wasn't serious...you don't have to answer this one)

Daphne
02-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Jim, the apology was greatly appreciated but not necessary. It takes a big person to do what you did however, this is one reason I am such a fan of NT! It feels like y'all are "in there with us".

I have some of the same issues/concerns as others:
1. I like the dongle. While I am terrified it is going to suddenly die right before a deadline, it works beautifully. I like being able to just unplug it to move between my desktop/laptop. I have taken my laptop on vacation more than once (my family really loves this) and had to work without internet connectivity. If I have to get online to work and can't, that would be bad.
2. Jay indicated several posts back that when your subscription expires, you can still use the software. Does that mean it will work just like it does now? If I skip a year subscription, I just use on older version until the next time I re-subscribe? I have always upgraded as soon as new versions were available but just wanted to validate...

Thanks so very much.

Kuzey
02-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll like to know more about file formats too. Will there be the two file format object/scene we currently have....or, is it just a single collada based scene file. Can these things be opened up in a text editor have surface names, object references etc. changed or are they binary files?

Also, will the content directory structure change in anyway because of the format change?

Kuzey

Verlon
02-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I like the dongle too. Didn't at first, then had to reinstall some stuff after a computer upgrade.

Now I love my dongle...