PDA

View Full Version : Modeler - Orbit Viewport

Subwolf9
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi
I've been using LW for a while now, but for all this time I have been using the icon in the perspective viewport to orbit the camera because I cant stand using the ALT shorcut which completely messes up the orientation of the model.

Is there anyway, through modeler or a plugin that will allow a shortcut key combo to orbit the model in the viewport WITHOUT adjusting the model orientation. I want it to always face up and down and not tilt? just like the orbit icon works... but as a shortcut.
any idea?

JeffrySG
02-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Just want you to know that when you use the ALT key there are two different areas that you need to click in to have it rotate the way you want to rotate. I never ever use the icon to rotate, but I know some people like it.

If you click and drag with the ALT key close the outer edges of the port it will rotate the view in screen space (like a clock - counter clockwise or clockwise). This is probably the way that you do not like.

If you click and drag with the ALT key close to the center of the port it should rotate in a similar fashion to the icon rotate feature. The more vertical or horizontal movements you make the less screen rotation you'll get. And the more circular movements you make the more of that off-axis rotation that you don't like you'll get.

I usually use many short horizontal/vertical click-drag movements with the ALT key rather than doing one long movement. I find that this reduces the off-axis movements. But if you do go off axis, just click and drag close to the edge and it's very easy to fix.

If this is stuff you know about already... well... feel free to ignore! lol

Lewis
02-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Basically when using ALT key combo you need to pay attention where you place cursor before start - that position would be like PIVOT point of rotation in perspective. It needs some time to understand it but I'd never ever go back to those small buttons at top and i prefer this ALT+LMB rotaion very much, much faster and smoother when you understand it :).

Andyjaggy
02-06-2009, 09:12 AM
I've never been able to stand it. I wish there was an option to rotate it the usual way.

toby
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Sorry, I don't have what you're asking for either, but one more way of looking at it =)
To use Alt-drag, you have to picture a trac ball that fits in the viewport (not an exact fit to the viewport, it's always perfectly round). Anywhere inside the ball works as expected, anywhere outside will only bank the camera.

It still tends to go off-axis though, so I understand why it bugs you. To reset the view if it goes hopelessly off-axis, go to an empty layer and press shift-A.