PDA

View Full Version : Me + Lightwave onstage @ Cut and Paste, Portland, OR 3-7

monovich
02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Howdy peoples,

I just found out that I was accepted as one of the competitors at the Portland, Oregon stop of the Cut and Paste tour, and I thought I'd post the info here just in case anyone wants to come.

Cut and Paste is a live design competition that features categories in 2d, 3d, and motion graphics. Artists are given themes and then given a set amount of time to execute their idea.

I'll be doing motion graphics, and it is my understanding that we'll be given 8 hours from start to finish to execute a 15 second animation. Our work will be projected on screens behind us and I believe people in the audience will be able to watch over our shoulder and generally mingle with the competitors while they work. Should be a bit nuts!

If my mograph piece ends up using 3d (which I'm sure it will) I'll be using Lightwave, so if you are a Lightwaver in the area, it could be a cool thing to attend. I might make something cool, or I might crash and burn.... yikes.

Oddly enough, the competition is sponsored by Autodesk... heh.

More info here:

http://cutandpaste.com/

you do have to buy tickets to this thing, :( , but hopefully it'll be a great time overall.

aa1037
02-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Sounds like a great time. Good Luck! I wish I could be there - really enjoy your work.

Aaron

BigHache
02-05-2009, 01:20 AM
That should be fun. Live events always are.

monovich
03-07-2009, 11:26 AM
webcast link. starts @ 7pm west coast I think.

http://webcast.cutandpaste.com/index.php?contest=md&lang=en

Larry_g1s
03-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Following some of your work...I don't think crash and burn is in the equition. ;) You've got some skills and it'll be nice to see what you come up with.

Thanks for the webcast link.

dwburman
03-07-2009, 07:46 PM
FYI, his name is Stephen Fitzgerald. I only know b/c I looked it up on his website :)

dwburman
03-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Hmm.... the webcast had audio until a few seconds after the host started talking.

Okay, after going to a different page and restarting the stream I got it to work.

dwburman
03-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Congrats!

Do you have a copy of your entry that you can post? I caught the beginning of the webcast and the last bit where the people's choice was awarded but I didn't get a great look at your entry. The bit I saw looked great.

Congratulations on the impending birth. :)

Dana

monovich
03-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Woo hoo!

Well, when all the dust settled, I managed to win last night. My clip will be forthcoming as soon as its up.

A few thoughts on the event:
- That was the most stressful day of my life that I can remember. All the competitors were rad, and worked SO hard non stop for eight hours, barely stopping to get even a drink of water.
- Lightwave is fast! After watching the other 3d apps being used, I was very happy with how LW stacks up. I used FPrime in the first 3d elements I made, and had my bits surfaced, lit, and rendered in very quickly with full GI and reflections. It was painful to watch the other renderers chug away frame by frame. Some of those other scanline renderers in the other apps are SO slow. at the end of the day I was running out of time, and was able to throw together and render a final bridge element in no time, people couldn't believe how quick it all came together. I used the LW renderer for that part, and it ripped through my render. I finished EXACTLY on the minute I had to stop, so I appreciate the speed!
- The competition specs were D1 NTSC, but I worked at 720p for because I wanted a nicer piece for myself when it was over. The other three competitors had 8 core machines and worked at D1, and I had a quad core, but I was still able to keep up and come out on top at the end.

I watched the 3d modeling competitions later in the day, and I'll probably enter that next year. In those you must go from start to finished in 20 minutes, and I know LW would blow the competition out of the water there. One guy was using blender, and he did well, but the app crashed and froze TWICE on him in his competition just as he was getting done. Blender is great, but stability is important too!

LW isn't a perfect app, but yesterday really made me appreciate that under intense conditions you can get so much out of it so quickly. Thanks NT! We'll see how it Goes in the global finals in NY on June 20. I'll be representing!

link will be forthcoming!

Sarford
03-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Congrats man!! Those things are wicked competitions! Show us what you've made a quickly as possible please, and some reasoning behind all the stuff ;-)

Where there any prizes?

archijam
03-08-2009, 03:12 PM
CONGRATS! Really fantastic work, it's under such conditions that you really see what others (and most importantly, yourself) are capable of ...

Well earned!

Anyone record the webcast, or are there highlights up? The official website's i bit tight lipped -

adamredwoods
03-09-2009, 11:38 AM
- Lightwave is fast! After watching the other 3d apps being used, I was very happy with how LW stacks up. I used FPrime in the first 3d elements I made, and had my bits surfaced, lit, and rendered in very quickly with full GI and reflections. It was painful to watch the other renderers chug away frame by frame. Some of those other scanline renderers in the other apps are SO slow. at the end of the day I was running out of time, and was able to throw together and render a final bridge element in no time, people couldn't believe how quick it all came together. I used the LW renderer for that part, and it ripped through my render. I finished EXACTLY on the minute I had to stop, so I appreciate the speed!
- The competition specs were D1 NTSC, but I worked at 720p for because I wanted a nicer piece for myself when it was over. The other three competitors had 8 core machines and worked at D1, and I had a quad core, but I was still able to keep up and come out on top at the end.

That is way cool, my man, many congrats!

Cut and Paste is cool, although I've never gone. I think they had one here in SF a while back. I really should go and check out the Flash guys.

Way to represent Lightwave! You should let NewTek marketing know about this, it's a great front page story.

caccipergolo
03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
congratulations and GOOD LUCK!!!

Andyjaggy
03-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Congrats man!!!! That's awesome. Sounds like a lot of fun. When is it next year? I head up that way once a year and would love to see it or even participate.

Always great to see Lightwave getting positive exposure.

Kuzey
03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Coolness :thumbsup:

Was there any other LW users in the competition...besides your team?

Kuzey

GregMalick
03-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Stephen,

You blew away that competition.

Congratulations!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

monovich
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Hey guys, Thanks for the kind words. i'm actually at the hospital now because my wife just had our second baby last night. What a jam-packed 48 hours! The little guy kindly didn't come on Saturday during the show. :)

Here are the lowreses of the competition. I'll put up my HD when I'm back in the office.

http://cutandpaste.com/events/2009/mar/7/portland/motion-design/

Next up is NY in June for the championships, so I guess I'll be at it again soon.
Nobody else was using Lightwave that I saw. I saw a lot of Maya, one Blender, C4D and a Rhino from the interfaces that I recognized.

I won a copy of Maya complete, among other things. :p

thanks again!

Silkrooster
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Just catching this thread. Congratulations.

kfinla
03-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Congrats, very cool stuff, and very much heads and tails above the other peices.. wish the competition tour swung a little closer by.

Oedo 808
03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Congratulations, a well deserved victory!

Very impressive.

ivanze
03-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Congratulations, very nice work as usual from you. :)

Kuzey
03-10-2009, 01:52 AM
Man, that was super...well done.

I thought you were part of a team but it looks like it's I was wrong...that's even more impressive :thumbsup:

Kuzey

archijam
03-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for the kind words. i'm actually at the hospital now because my wife just had our second baby last night. What a jam-packed 48 hours! The little guy kindly didn't come on Saturday during the show. :)

Here are the lowreses of the competition. I'll put up my HD when I'm back in the office.

Next up is NY in June for the championships, so I guess I'll be at it again soon.

You CREAMED the opposition. No comparison. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the baby!

Andyjaggy
03-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Wow. Yours was by far the best one. The others weren't even in the same ballpark!!! Good job.

Larry_g1s
03-10-2009, 09:41 AM
You CREAMED the opposition. No comparison. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the baby!Agreed, there definitely wasn't even a comparison, congratulations.

adamredwoods
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Nice spin on the concept.
....and I totally missed the SF one.

geothefaust
03-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey man, congrats! :thumbsup:

Had I known about this sooner I would have stopped by to say 'ello. :)

PS- Congrats on the new kid.

Wickster
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
congratulations! That's double the reward for you there. :)

monovich
03-12-2009, 12:35 AM
thanks all!

HD, fwiw:

http://vimeo.com/3585008

Oedo 808
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM

Of course! Congratulations on the little one, how did I forget to include that.

Excellent news. :thumbsup:

GregMalick
03-13-2009, 11:56 AM

Nobody else was using Lightwave that I saw. I saw a lot of Maya, one Blender, C4D and a Rhino from the interfaces that I recognized.

I won a copy of Maya complete, among other things. :p

thanks again!

Wow! double congrats. :thumbsup:
And good things come in three's - so maybe a NY championship win is headed your way.

It would be super-cool if you did a "Making of" tutorial for that short. LightWave could use another of those.

ohhhh... and don't go leaving us just because you now have Maya! :D

bassmanjam
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Great Job! You made quick work of the competition. haha

TheDynamo
03-16-2009, 04:10 PM
And congratulations on the new baby my friend.

IgnusFast
03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Stunning - you OWNED that competition!! Well deserved.

realgray
03-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Awesome Job. You clearly had the edge. Could you share how you made the bridge assemble itself? And congrats on the baby!

qwz
04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Grats!
Wonderful work!
I don't understand - final sequence are frome FPrime or native renderer?

StereoMike
05-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Congrats for both, bringing the price and your baby home!
Great to see someone showing off LW's speed advantage!

mike

monovich
05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Grats!
Wonderful work!
I don't understand - final sequence are frome FPrime or native renderer?

the helecopter + cups are fprime, the bridge is native.

monovich
10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Awesome Job. You clearly had the edge. Could you share how you made the bridge assemble itself? And congrats on the baby!

late late reply:

the bridge is just an extremely low-poly model made of triangles. The surfaces are set to render as outlines instead of solids.
It was animated to grow with Fertilizer. I didn't have time to tweak any settings, I just make the bridge, keyframed the build-in, and let fly with the render.

OnlineRender
10-17-2009, 06:12 AM
spanked them , nice work congrates !

say congrates to your wife, she just rendered a baby , you aint going win any arguments from now on in (",)

ivanze
10-18-2009, 02:04 AM
I think the baby is a little big now. This thread is kind of old. :)