PDA

View Full Version : 9.6 Problems

dglidden
02-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Today is one of the first times I've had to sit down with LW for more than a few minutes since the 9.6 release. I've grabbed the new 9.6 content to look at some of the examples (still trying to get a grip with FFX) and I'm having problems loading several of them. At least "head" and "ugzhan" give me a beachball trying to load them, and "pinball" loads but immediately goes to beachball once the scene display updates. (A couple other with FFX seem to be ok, or at least they were a short while ago.)

And suddenly now with _any_ scene, including ones I created in the past, as well as a new scene with just a few objects sitting around in it, the Render Status display no longer updates until the render is finished, when it will immediately show 100%. The radiosity bar, preprocessing, render, none of the status bars move until the scene is done. I swear this was working with the 9.6 release before. It's almost like once I loaded one of the new content scenes it broke the application somehow.

I've also had Modeler just "go away" on me while working on the new scene to test the other problems. I was editing surfaces in Layout and Modeler spontaneously disappeared on me. There was no crash report or message so I have no idea what happened.

I've deleted all the old preferences and moved my old Plugins directory out of the way, but I'm still having these problems. If there's anything else I can try or do, let me know!

Frankly the last 9.6 RC was a lot more stable than the final release has been so far.

Kuzey
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
I haven't seen the render panel bug but it could be related to the pre 9.5 files. Chilton inculded some code to not make LW crash with one of my old files but that made the response slugish in modeler and layout, beachballs everywhere, even when pressing buttons etc. But, I haven't tried that problem scene/object with the release version yet and so far it's working fine with my other files.

I have had modeler crash in the background and reported it, but that was when they were finishing up on the release version, bad timing on my part.

I hope the remaining bugs get fixed during the 9.6 64bit beta.

Kuzey

ELinder
02-05-2009, 05:16 AM
I didn't even realize we had new content for 9.6. I'll have to go get it.

As for Modeler disappearing with no crash report when surfacing in layout, I reported it during the beta, but couldn't get a repeatable scene, and I guess they never did track it down.

Erich

Kuzey
02-05-2009, 05:19 AM
I didn't even realize we had new content for 9.6. I'll have to go get it.

As for Modeler disappearing with no crash report when surfacing in layout, I reported it during the beta, but couldn't get a repeatable scene, and I guess they never did track it down.

Erich

I tracked it down to using old content, LW 7.5 files in my case :D

Kuzey

dglidden
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
In this case, Modeler vanished on me while I was creating a brand new scene to see if a newly-created scene still did the "No render status update" problem I suddenly started having. In other words, the only things in Modeler and Layout were objects I had just then created and saved in a brand new scene. I can't in any way reproduce the Modeler crash reliably so far. The weird thing is it just disappeared. It didn't give me a crash warning, the appearance was that it exited itself spontaneously.

I also want to repeat that I'm (still) having the render status update problem with _new_ scenes that I have just created with new objects, so I can't see how it could at all be related to the old content bug I saw you talking about in the old OB forums.

Unfortunately I've already blown away all the RC downloads (Despite the feeling that I would regret it as soon as I did it...) so I can't test it in one of the last RCs.

Kuzey
02-06-2009, 07:50 AM
You know, all that beta testing has kinda made me paranoid a bit, I'm thinking everyone's bug is somehow related to mine :D

Good to know it hasn't occurred again, hopefully it's a one off thing.

As for the render status not updating, I think that happened to me last night. I was rendering a scene in the background while working in Modeler and command tabbed to see the render status in the icon thingy. It looked like it was only 10% done and when I went back into Modeler a second later, Layout popped up saying the render finished.

Strange indeed.....

Kuzey

Kuzey
02-06-2009, 11:42 AM
It has happened again, this time it was stuck on the pre-render process, moving objects etc. I thought the whole thing was frozen, clicked abort render several times...didn't work and a few minutes later the image viewer popped up as the render finished.

Kuzey

Giacomo99
02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
OT: There's new content for LW 9.6? Where is it, please?

Kuzey
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM
OT: There's new content for LW 9.6? Where is it, please?

It's the next group after the LightWave v9.3 files in the "my downloads" section at http://register.newtek.com :D

Kuzey

ELinder
02-07-2009, 05:47 AM
They called the file link "Lightwave New Content" instead of 9.6 new content for some reason in the Bonus Section.

Erich

dglidden
02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Still having the no-status-update problem. :(

My latest attempt was to delete everything out of the /Applications/NewTek folder, delete everything out from under ~/Library I could find, download a new lw dmg from the NewTek site, copy the app back over, start it up with content I create in Modeler, save and load in Layout and I still don't get any render status update.

Just create a couple boxes and balls and give them a reflective surface or something that will take more than a few seconds to render out and nothing happens until the scene is done.

New app, new preferences, new content, same problem.

There's no new "Don't update render status" button in prefs somewhere that I've missed is there?

Chilton
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi,

First off, don't start deleting things just because it's not working right. That is old-school voodoo, and does not affect things anymore. Most likely, the problem is with something in your scene, or some behavior you're unconsciously performing at just the 'wrong' time.

If you really want to know if it's the app, run the app from the DMG directly. That will make sure it's a pristine copy you're using.

First, are you only in Modeler and/or Layout when this happens?
Does this happen on all models/scenes, or just a particular one or set?

-Chilton

dglidden
02-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi,

First off, don't start deleting things just because it's not working right. That is old-school voodoo, and does not affect things anymore. Most likely, the problem is with something in your scene, or some behavior you're unconsciously performing at just the 'wrong' time.

If you really want to know if it's the app, run the app from the DMG directly. That will make sure it's a pristine copy you're using.

First, are you only in Modeler and/or Layout when this happens?
Does this happen on all models/scenes, or just a particular one or set?

-Chilton

re: deleting prefs. so noted!

I also forgot we could run the app from the dmg.

so far it's been every scene, new or old or just created. it doesn't matter if modeler or hub are running along with Layout, I still get no status update. I can reproduce it by opening Layout, adding an object (an existing one or one I just made in Modeler) and hitting render so I don't see how it could be content related or even process, since it's like four keystrokes. This did not happen during any if the betas or RCs, I know that. I've tried to narrow it down to one thing but it's any scene/model so far, I wish I had any better clues.

Chilton
02-07-2009, 12:09 PM
That's interesting, and not so great. What are your system specs?

-Chilton

dglidden
02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
MacBook Pro, 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM. OS X 10.5.6 with all updates.

I know that this never happened during the RCs, and I had the last RC on here for the whole week or so leading up to the final release binaries, and it never happened there either. So it is something different between the final RC and the release. (That is my - detailed and incredibly informed - diagnosis. And of course, by diagnosis, I mean guess. :) )

Kuzey
02-07-2009, 02:23 PM
On one occasion, when it visually finished rendering it started to go through the pre processes again, moving/updating objects etc. for what seemed a minute or two. After which, it was truly complete and I got the "displaying completed frame" notification.

ps.. this was with the render frame button, not render scene and I never seen it before...kinda like it was stuck in a loop.

Kuzey

dglidden
02-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I have new news. I applied some system updates which caused me to reboot the mac. At that point I was going to go back into LW and try to create some sample scenes to upload to a bug report and then I can't reproduce it. Any scene I load gets all the lovely progress bars just fine.

So I go to try to load up some of the 9.6 sample scenes again, including "Ugzhan" which is one of the scenes I couldn't open at all before. This time it opens up just fine, but then while scrolling through the timeline, Layout crashes. Now I can't reopen it, or several of the other 9.6 sample scenes again - they just SPOD me and I have to force quit Layout, just like before. I've exited Hub in between and so on, as I was doing before. I still seem to get the progress bars, however, so that's something.

I'm going to reboot again and see if I can load the 9.6 sample scenes again after the reboot and follow up in this thread.

dglidden
02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
After a reboot I still have progress bars, but I still can't load some of the 9.6 sample scenes. "Ugzhan" really seems to kak things pretty quick, and once one of the scenes has SPODed on me, others that were just now loading ok will now also SPOD on me.

So far I'm able to load scenes that I created before the 9.6 final and so far they load ok and I get progress bars.

It seems to be the 9.6 scenes exclusively now, unless the progress bar problem comes back. Since whatever craziness is going on seems to screw up Layout in mysterious ways irrespective of scene, somehow, until, well I dunno, rebooting "fixed" it before. But whatever is going on, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever is happening also caused the progress bar problem as a side effect of whatever's getting messed up.

(Complete wild-*** speculation follows: could something be smashing a stack and writing into the Carbon shared library memory space? Since LW is the only Carbon app I have on the system I think, I can see how it might permanently affect LW but nothing else until a reboot, or something frees up and reloads the Carbon dylibs. Although it doesn't explain why it's only certain scenes that are affected... Maybe only a certain plugin/feature? Like I said, complete SWAG but I can't think of another way that Layout would continue to be affected even between program restarts unless it was something that's staying in memory that LW uses...)