PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations are in order

VirtualFM
02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Hi guys!

I think that after years of bashing Newtek for it's non-existent marketing campaigns, crappy public-relations, bug-fest releases, late releases, sad interfaces and mostly for everything bad that happens, from global warming to the toast that dropped with the buttered-side down, after all that, I think congratulations to Newtek marketing team are in order!

Because they managed to make not a boring teasing page with announcements... but an exciting page with tons of clues, hints and teasers that put the Lightwave community into an exciting and frantic suspense. Even if the announcement itself is nothing much, the campaign per se was just awesome, causing excitement, raising hope and, above all, being very entertaining.

So, congratulations to Newtek Marketing department! You did an awesome job this time.

I just hope other software users also take notice of this and not just Lightwave users.

Lewis
02-04-2009, 01:16 AM
With this cool marketing campaign and possible very cool product (CORE) i believe other SW users will notice LW very much :). So yeah Kudos to Marketing and hopefully to DEV team in about 13 hours :).

colkai
02-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Yup, the trick now is following it through to the wider audience, but for sure, the best marketing we've seen if a far while. Well done chaps and chappesses. :)

accom
02-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Well, teaser did it BIG TIME! I love what you did: pinpointed target group, intrigued to-the-max! I guess most of us are really excited and wonder what will IT be. :D

Really big congratulations to everyone behind this promotion!

MooseDog
02-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Yup, the trick now is following it through to the wider audience...

i see that as already having been put in place and executed already. all of which points to a giant congratulations to nt marketing and management :thumbsup:

Quiet1onTheSet
02-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Hi guys!

So, congratulations to Newtek Marketing department! You did an awesome job this time.

I just hope other software users also take notice of this and not just Lightwave users.
Care to further aid the Marketing Team, by letting other NewTek Software users know just what it is of which you speak?
:question:
('Been out of the loop for awhile, taking care of some seriously critical matters at home. As a result of being out of touch, you've got us intrigued, but about what marketing campaign? Got a link?

Thanks in advance folks.
:I_Love_Ne

dmack
02-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Marketing can only be measured by sales at the end of the day. So whilst the core teaser has been awesome so far, it really boils down to what is revealed today, how it's revealed and whether that package together delivers on the sales front. There's no dount that it has gained huge awareness but IF the reveal is a dissappointment after all the hype that has been caused by the teaser, then it will NOT have done Newtek any favours. I'm very much hoping and expecting this NOT to be the case but I think congratualtions are premature until the end. It aint over til the fat lady sings. :)

pumeco
02-04-2009, 06:13 AM
I've had the opinion for a long time that NewTek must be working on something secret. You could not possibly be that bad at marketing unless it was intentional. I came to the conclusion that they were keeping a low profile until they got whatever it was out there.

So now they've started marketing and all I can say is way to go NewTek!

I didn't know they had it in 'em. I'm really looking forward to what Core is, although I'm pretty sure I already know; I reckon they've started that Maxon lark with a Core and Modular approach.

That's good as long as they don't pull that Maxon crap where they break module compatibility with almost every new version, and to make it worse, kill the availability of previous modules when the next one comes out forcing users to either upgrade everything or ditch the app' altogether. If they start that lark I'll have to ditch LightWave as quick as I ditched Maxon's product - and for the very same reason.

I have to say that so far NewTek have always stuck me as a down to earth and realistic bunch of folk. I hope they don't forget that not everyone can afford to update modules every time a new core is released. If they start that, they'll loose LightWaver's just as quick as Maxon loses C4D'ers.

Hopefully I've got nothing to worry about cause I'm getting into LightWave more and more and would hate to have to pull out now. I'd hate to be priced out of it all of a sudden so I hope they keep it real.

Matt
02-04-2009, 06:38 AM
I'll raise a glass to NT marketing folks, this has been a step in the right direction, keep it up, great stuff.

mouse_art
02-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Or an anouncement that the core thingy was just a training exercise for the Marketing department. ;D

... I think we have to wait till we know what the "Core" is. Maybe it is only an anouncement for an anouncement of an anouncement that Newtek is planing a new Lightwave! Than I must say the marketing is doing wrong marketing as always making only promises ;-)
... but I hope not so ;-)

The Dommo
02-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Congrats to Andrew Yaple at NT, whom I believe the main / sole main behind the teasing. Hope it all works out well in the end with good sales, rewarding the dev team and others involved for thier hard, on-going work.

Take a holiday guys!

Matt
02-04-2009, 07:04 AM
... I think we have to wait till we know what the "Core" is.

We do know what it is!

It's clear from those screenshots! Core = new version of LightWave! HOW new is what we're going to find out tonight, hopefully.

pumeco
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
So it's not a Maxonesque "Core" and modular type system then - well that's a major relief!

Are you lot just going to be mean or will someone spill what it actually is then? I understand it's been discovered somewhere in the 400+ pages of 'THE' thread, but by the time I'd get through all those pages to find out, the product would be out anyway!

So, what it is then? :D
(please)

Quiet1onTheSet
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Marketing can only be measured by sales at the end of the day. So whilst the core teaser has been awesome so far,

Ah, but where can this core teaser be found? I don't believe it's at all mentioned in this thread, unless I just utterly *missed* it..
:sleeping:

richcz3
02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
This is by far and away the best marketing NT has ever done - Period. Congrats to the team for the new bold approach. :newtek:

So it's not a Maxonesque "Core" and modular type system then - well that's a major relief!...I wouldn't bet too highly on that. Core....Core of what. You have the Core and selectable "modules" that plug into the Core? I'm thinking there is something modular about it.

VirtualFM
02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Well, I don't agree with those that say that if this is just an anouncement of an announcement then it's not good and we should wait to see.

I think the campaign in itself is awesome, as stated before. Even ifthere is nothing to say, even if the annoucement was just a "Hey, just to see if you were paying attention!" I would still think it was a great campaign. Never ever I saw such mistery being revealed in this manner and the only other campaigns I can remember that caused such hype were, probably, the "Cloverfield" and "Balir witch project" movies!

Ah, but where can this core teaser be found? I don't believe it's at all mentioned in this thread, unless I just utterly *missed* it..
:sleeping:

Well, you stepped in in the right time! Only 2 hours or less to go!

http://www.newtek.com/core/

Explanation of the several steps and clues in
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94528

or in http://blog.elementsense.com/ (best if read from the bottom of the page).

JBT27
02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Well, I don't agree with those that say that if this is just an anouncement of an announcement then it's not good and we should wait to see.

I think the campaign in itself is awesome, as stated before. Even ifthere is nothing to say, even if the annoucement was just a "Hey, just to see if you were paying attention!" I would still think it was a great campaign. Never ever I saw such mistery being revealed in this manner and the only other campaigns I can remember that caused such hype were, probably, the "Cloverfield" and "Balir witch project" movies!

Well, you stepped in in the right time! Only 2 hours or less to go!

http://www.newtek.com/core/

Explanation of the several steps and clues in
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94528

or in http://blog.elementsense.com/ (best if read from the bottom of the page).

Yeah....but it's just gone 'off-air'.....:eek:

Julian.

JBT27
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah....but it's just gone 'off-air'.....:eek:

Julian.

Phew, back again.....geez I need to get out more ..... :D

Julian.

dee
02-05-2009, 03:54 AM
After reading the techfaq I think NT did the right thing, and regarding my open beta experience I'm shure we will see a great app.
:thumbsup:

jaxtone
02-05-2009, 05:02 AM
Congratulations?

After I seeing this presentation yesterday lots of questions popped up!

The "History" function was already a fact in Maya 1998 so to many people
in 3D-communities this might have been just another reason to isolate us
even more since it could just have been experienced as a very very late
copied function! The smart connection to internet inside the software
might not be enough to convince them! But hey now, let´s skip this
negativism a bit!

Did it convince me? Did it convince you?

The benefits in CORE might be great for anyone of us that has been
struggling with Lightwaves old engine and that have been isolated in
the 3D-space it´s lack of communication and compability with industrial
standards! (Positive thinking to convince myself that upcoming information
about CORE can rebuild the reputation of this poorly filmed presentation!)

Almost a day after the show I read loads of negative threads about the
non impact in this presentation! It might be true that this wasn´t the
smartest thing to do it this way! Especially not when NT actually have
all the tools to make professional TV and event presentations!

Why build up a marketing campaign like that! Believe me, it´s not just
Lightwaver´s that followed the outcome of such a technical disaster
that this presentation really was!

It´s a great risk that even if the product might be compatible in the future
a presentation like this will instead be the laugh of the day, and so will many
Lightwaver´s!

Aven if many where negative about what they mention as the "robotic host"
that presented the modeling features in CORE. I felt that he knew his things
well and to me a fancy guy wouldn´t be convincing to me at all...

Well maybe a guy like Jim Carey but I guess he would´nt have done this
for just a T-Shirt! :)

stevecullum
02-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Last night I was left feeling pretty disapointed by the lack of depth to NT's presentation, but after watching the video again and reading the TechFAQ, I can't wait to get my hands on this software!

:lightwave

Pavlov
02-05-2009, 07:20 AM
I think there's really, really too much talk about what CORE is NOT.
The presentation was not brilliant in its look and modes, ok. Some apple-like glamour would have done much better that a game-ish background and a 90's setup. A standing guy in front of a pure white background and a workstation aside is better than 99% of artificial sets, so you've to get into that 1% or....

ANYWAY.

Core looks absolutely amazing. It's simply the best NT could do. All specs are the state of the art of industry standard. Which means, "state of the art" on one side, and "industry standards" on the other.
Again, i dind texpect they were so "done", i didn't even expect they had a GUI to show but just papers.
While i mostly agree on the content of the critics to presentation, i think they distract from the real content, which is simply amazing, and personally kinda a dozen-years dream coming true.

Paolo

adk
02-05-2009, 07:27 AM
I think there's really, really too much talk about what CORE is NOT.
The presentation was not brilliant in its look and modes, ok. Some apple-like glamour would have done much better that a game-ish background and a 90's setup. A standing guy in front of a pure white background and a workstation aside is better than 99% of artificial sets, so you've to get into that 1% or....

ANYWAY.

Core looks absolutely amazing. It's simply the best NT could do. All specs are the state of the art of industry standard. Which means, "state of the art" on one side, and "industry standards" on the other.
Again, i dind texpect they were so "done", i didn't even expect they had a GUI to show but just papers.
While i mostly agree on the content of the critics to presentation, i think they distract from the real content, which is simply amazing, and personally kinda a dozen-years dream coming true.

Paolo

That pretty much sums it up for me as well ... thanks for saving me the typing Pavlov :) CORE is the leap and direction I was hoping LW would take.

Kuzey
02-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Btw during last nights web breakdown I couldn't see the feed, so the guys on the Lightwave facebook page kept me up to date...thanks:thumbsup:

Anyway, I did a search and found Philip Nelson's blog...it has one picture, a very complicated looking model. It doesn't look like a render, maybe opengl real time render engine or maybe fprime.

:D

Check it out:

http://www.philipnelson.org/2009/02/what-is-the-lightwave-core-all-about-find-out-at-3pm-today/

Kuzey

stevecullum
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Anyway, I did a search and found Philip Nelson's blog...it has one picture, a very complicated looking model. It doesn't look like a render, maybe opengl real time render engine or maybe fprime.

Looks like Volumedic to me.

pnelson
02-05-2009, 04:12 PM

:D

Check it out:

http://www.philipnelson.org/2009/02/what-is-the-lightwave-core-all-about-find-out-at-3pm-today/

Kuzey

It's actually an image from a CFONT (Cool Friend of NewTek) Elmar Moelzer. He created an awesome plugin for LightWave that takes MRI info and creates pretty amazing 3D models. Has nothing to do with the CORE project.. Just a great LightWave image.. I need to give Elmar credit on my blog.. Sorry Elmar for not doing it sooner. :)

Later