PDA

View Full Version : Poylgon Selection: Halvsies

THREEL
02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
How's it going fellow :lwicon: ers? I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to select polygons based on the side of an axis. I have a machined part that I need to make half aluminum and half transparent, so I can show how the parts inside will work. The problem is, it is a part that was sent to me as a Pro-E obj file and there are many small 3-sided polys within the object. I really don't want to rebuild the piece from scratch. Also, there are some holes that are slightly offset from center.

What I would like to do is tell :lwicon: modeler ver. 8.5 to select all of the polys to the left or right of an axis, so I can make it one surface, and then, invert the selection to make the other side transparent.

Is this possible?

tHANX in advance!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL!

JamesCurtis
02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Maybe use volume selection while in polygon mode in Modeler, name them, and use stats to select unnamed ones?\

Also maybe use transparency map on object areas to be solid and non solid?

THREEL
02-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Maybe use volume selection while in polygon mode in Modeler, name them, and use stats to select unnamed ones?\

Also maybe use transparency map on object areas to be solid and non solid?

tHANX James! I'll give this a try. I need to be able to select them, before I can name them. I don't have any problems selecting the outer polys. It's just the ones that are right on either side of the axis that are giving me problems to select, because they're so small and there are a bunch of them. You think :lwicon: would have a selection option like this, or someone would have written a L-Script for this kind of thing. I know absolutely nothing about L-Script writing, or I'd try to make a script myself.

tHANX again!

AL

JeffrySG
02-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Al, what about just slicing through the object with the knife tool exactly on the axis. Then you can simply zoom in and select half the object and know that you'll be able to have all of the polygons fall right on that axis line.

If this is already a proe model you probably have many small tris already. This will also cut through any small holes or details you may have. Hope it helps...

Giacomo99
02-06-2009, 03:49 PM
What JeffrySG said about the knife tool.

Also, you might want to reconsider rebuilding the object—working with awkward client-supplied meshes can be reaaallly unpleasant over the course of a project.

xchrisx
02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
If i understand you correctly try this plugin I wrote a while back. It will select all the points on a given axis or multiple axis. Then just use "Sel Switch" plugin that comes with modeler to change that selection into polygons.

http://chrisepeterson.com/lscripts/cp_selector.zip

zardoz
02-06-2009, 05:28 PM
you can also try this plugin Face It

http://www.3dcybercorp.com/software/faceit/index.html

I've used it a lot. It has two plugins, with one you draw the axis (any axis) and then use the other plugin to select polygons within an angle threshold.

THREEL
02-06-2009, 11:20 PM
tHANX everyone! I'll give these a try over the weekend, and let you know.

AL