PDA

View Full Version : Pros speak up

LWD
08-12-2003, 06:19 PM
How many people who post here actually use LW as a professional (ya know, make money with it on a regualr basis)?

js33
08-12-2003, 06:32 PM
I do. :D
I started in 1995 using verison 3.1 on the Amiga with the Video Toaster. Then the company I was working for switched to the PC in 1996 using Version 4, then 5, 5.6. I went freelance in 2000 and bought my own copy of 6, then upgraded to 6.5, 7, 7.5 and that's what I use currently. I decided not to use the c patch and am waiting for 8 which I already bought with the DFX deal.

Cheers,
JS

Mike_RB
08-12-2003, 06:52 PM
I do. We use it in our game pipeline.

mbaldwin
08-12-2003, 07:33 PM
I do. retouching and illustration. man, I would love better camera mapping functionality!

Roger Eberhart
08-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Mike_RB
I do. We use it in our game pipeline.

Me too. Although in this case, it's just me using Lightwave while the rest of the team uses Max or Maya. And I have to export everything to Max so I can export to the game engine. But hey, I'm using Lightwave, and getting paid. Did I mention I'm using my own personal copy of Lightwave because the producer doesn't want to spend money on a program nobody else is using? Oh well. It's better than modeling in Max.

Roger

hairy_llama
08-12-2003, 08:38 PM
I do. Pretty new to making money with it though, < 1 year.
I just finished an entirely 3d commercial though. On the first revision the client LOVED it :), gotta make a couple micro changes...

jjburton
08-12-2003, 09:14 PM
I do. I use it for illustration and logo work...and animation any chance I can squeeze it in:)

lunarcamel
08-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Most every commercial I've ever done has in one way or another had something from LW - but for character work I think it's unusable and usually end up porting my objects to Maya.

Ohh and Roger, at two studios I previously worked at I had to use my own copy of LW since they we're too cheap to buy it - but somehow they could afford multiple copies of Maya, Softimage and Shake. Go figure.

archiea
08-12-2003, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I work as a prostitute pretty regularly since '97 and have been shot at twice, stabbed once, Kidnapped and dressed as a cabbage patch doll with edible underwear and... OH you meant LW professional, Oh sorry... how embarrassing!!!

Used LW since ver 1 -> version 3 professionally to make money. Used it to suppliment up until LW 5.6. I remained doing 2D compositing as my main gig between jons, of course. Getting reaquainted with it since 7.0 but I'm looking to use it for my personal stuff....

I'm sorry, Did say too much?:rolleyes:

SplineGod
08-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Ive used LW since before it was Lightwave. :)
Done lots with it but I mainly use it for character work which I think its great for. I just posted up some stuff I finally got around to grabbing off video.
HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/crawlers.avi)
and
HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/bullfrogshots.avi)

Titus
08-12-2003, 10:39 PM
I do. I'm a returning user after being a Maya/RenderMan monkey.

Wade
08-12-2003, 11:01 PM
Count me in.
Almost daily from release 6, and my salary has about doubled in that time to - Architectural Illustrations mainly.
:D

BoulYaBase
08-13-2003, 12:13 AM
I do. :)

Product visualization, a trade show video, QuickTime VRs, game art, and print so far.

CTRL+X
08-13-2003, 01:11 AM
Arch Viz, Civil Projects,,,, Illustration and Package and p.o.p Mockup

Elmar Moelzer
08-13-2003, 01:32 AM
Yo, I do about everything with LW and take money for that from my clients.
CU
Elmar

Original1
08-13-2003, 01:44 AM
I am mainly a Lingo/Actionscript Programmer working freelance, but for my last job I was doing Flash animations and programming for a new embedded pump system and all the print artwork for a start up company, their main logo was modeled in Lightwave, and I did visulisations of the pump system they were building.

Oh and the Flash animations or a Credit card sliding into a Card Reader were done in Lightwave.

So I guess I spent the last 4 months earning my living with Lightwave.

What I would really like to see is the shockwave exporter improve..

What work be really cool was if the dynamics system could export stuff to Havok simulation player in shockwave.

Matt
08-13-2003, 02:05 AM
I do product visualisation / animation for our company as part of my job as an industrial designer.

LightWave has paid for itself many, many times over!

:)

stone
08-13-2003, 02:13 AM
the lightwave modeler and i are stuck in the pipeline of game production.

/stone

facial deluxe
08-13-2003, 02:15 AM
I do. TV stuff.

policarpo
08-13-2003, 02:23 AM
I use it for darn near everything and it makes me money too. :D

Hervé
08-13-2003, 02:32 AM
hey we have abunch of money makers here..... cool !

shermanlu
08-13-2003, 02:33 AM
count me in too... i use LW since 3.5...while i was a student in SFSU. I used LW for my school projects... after i'd graduated, i brought LW back to my home town(Taipei) to start my own business. Currently, i'm running a studio working on all kind of computer animation projects... from Flying Logo for CD titles to broadcasting cartoon series. We've just finished a 240 mins cartoon series for a kids channel... all have done in LW...yeah...only LW!!!:D

Hervé
08-13-2003, 02:54 AM
....240 Min..... you're da man...8!!

Dodgy
08-13-2003, 02:55 AM
Me too me too!

I work in games and while the rest of the company switched to maya :P I stuck with LW cause I can get stuff done twice as quick in it....

I should mention we switched when maya JUST came out, and LW was still only 5.6 :P Now I think we'd have stuck with LW :)

shermanlu
08-13-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
....240 Min..... you're da man...8!!

:D :D :D ...and finished in 6 months...FYI...:D

mav3rick
08-13-2003, 03:44 AM
newtek pisses me off but i use lw here all over:) i am main character animation in studio and doin all character commercials...........
lw is really nice app but wish it be more nicer one day........ i am traped and doomed with it so i don't wanna migrate anywhere else......I can do about everything with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aegis
08-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Making moolah pimping my crazy LightWave skillz since v3.5

Whatever you want, no matter how kinky I'll do it!

:D :D :D :D

cresshead
08-13-2003, 04:37 AM
i bought lw last year to add alongside 3dsmax 4 which i use both to teach cgi at a college in notts u.k also done some freelance work though not with lightwave as yet...i will though!

not upgrading max but am upgrading lightwave.

steve g

kevman3d
08-13-2003, 05:00 AM
I do! :)

Started out as an expensive hobby inspired by seeing the effects created on Babylon 5. I spent more time then I can remember making spaceships and lots of 'Flyby' animations! :)

...but a few freelance opportunities arose from my 'showing off' of spaceships and 3D stuff to a variety of people (I started out making cool animations to 'spruce up' boring powerpoint presentations, followed by a lot of Video sales presentation stuff (product viz, etc))

I also started the local LWUG because I was addicted to LW and wanted to meet more people. That was probably the biggest thing I've done (and am still doing!) and that gives me a great sense of Pride in being a LW user!

Anyway, thanks to all the contacts and people I met through the LWUG, I finally ended up doing 3D as a full time job, working mostly on TVC's and a few bits of short CG film, etc. You can check out more at http://www.fluxmedia.co.nz (there's a 3D animation gallery - LOTS of examples of some of our work (all LightWave!))

Currently I also teach LW and 3D part time and do Industry 3D part time. So you could say that LW strongly features in my Life... (My wife claims to be NZ's first ever 'LightWave Widow'!)

pixelranger
08-13-2003, 05:04 AM
I'm sorta in the same position as Roger Eberhart. I use LW for everything ranging from product visualisation (modelling and rendering) to character animation in commercials. I'm the only one using lw in the production environment, but I've convinced them that it fits in our pipeline (along with max). Working with lw daily, and it is paying my bills and my girlfriend ;).
Used it since 5.5, which I bought second hand from Gregory Ready (a former employee at newteks support division) with money I got from an uncle who was intrigued with what I was doing. My best investment EVER!!

Lightwolf
08-13-2003, 05:09 AM
I do as well, since LW 4.0, basically all kinds of stuff, from animations for the web to big screen shorts, whatever pays the rent :)

Emmanuel
08-13-2003, 05:28 AM
Since 1997 LW has replaced Deluxe Paint as my favourite app of all time :)
Doing illustrations, game stuff and since this year also character animation.
The company I worked for bought a LW license for me to work with, although they were mainly using Max, so I can consider myself lucky or what ?

grundgedanke
08-13-2003, 05:34 AM
also count me. even if i use ist since about one week :-) we have to do some logo work with it. but hopefully we will do more...at the time i am able to do more...

using the 7.5 summer special that you can buy in europe (incl. 5 char tut dvds and the 8 update)

Red_Oddity
08-13-2003, 05:53 AM
Yup, here too, been using it since the Amiga days (i started young:D )

Pre-Viz, Videoclips, design, communication media, you name it...

CB_3D
08-13-2003, 06:48 AM
From graphic design over architectural previz to instructional videos with celshaded tooncharacters, Lightwave is everywhere in my work, day in day out.
Around 13 hours of my day i spend in LW. That is the main reason i would like a more configurable and fully skinnable interface:D

I began with 3.0 or 3.5 on a Lightrave toaster emulator. Ahhh, Amiga 4000 loaded with luxurious 16 mb Ram and a hefty 500 mb HD. I was the king of the computerworld in my neighborhood, LOL.

ursa
08-13-2003, 07:01 AM
me too, been making money with lightwave since 1994.
if im not doing multimedia or video work with it,
im teaching it.

riki
08-13-2003, 07:56 AM
I use it in web design, I could get by without it, but it gives me an edge.

surferjoe
08-13-2003, 08:17 AM
My wife and I have used Lightwave since the 1980's to make money and it is the cornerstone of our business. We've done inflight Entertainment systems, Live shows with the Toaster, real time games, and several TV shows and movies like the Silver Surfer, The Addams Family Reunion and Santa vrs. the Snowman in IMAX 3D. We did a little on the Thumb stuff and Kung Pow, too.

After watching several of our friends get stung by corporate studio environments, getting a project stolen by Dreamworks, (who hasn't), and getting fine direction like "I want the ship to fly half the speed in half the time but travel twice as far", we decided to strike out on our own and produce our own content.

Our first release, "Wonderlens: Aquarium of the Aliens", is a self produced DVD distributed on Amazon. It is a bit more targeted to children than you folk, but the tools exist now to complete the project from pencil to shrinkwrap, and Lightwave plays a starring role, as usual.

Noclar7
08-13-2003, 08:19 AM
I started with a copy of Inspire3D i got off of ebay for 400$ when i was in college learning LW6, and did animations for VJing at a local club (50$ for 2 animations a week) and got some exposure.
Next was an accident recreation project($40hr), 2 1/2 years later I'm at a small kickass studio built with some good friends, still using LW and loving it.

WilliamVaughan
08-13-2003, 08:20 AM
I'm very unprofessional but I use LW professionally :)

dwburman
08-13-2003, 08:21 AM
I use it occassionally at work (video production) and on a freelance basis. Flying Logos, Visual Effects, Motion Graphics and a touch of character animation. I'm about to work on an archictectural visualization project.

LW has paid for itself a few times but hasn't made me rich, but that's my fault. ;)

problemchild
08-13-2003, 10:37 AM
Yep,

that was the deal. If you buy it, better make it pay for itself.

haha!

so I started a business just cuz I wanted to play with it. Now doing science viz for museums and aquaria.

Cobalt
08-13-2003, 10:54 AM
This is not an official goverment endorsement of Lightwave.

I will say, however, that with Lightwave, I have been able to train two of my fellow Marines from the ground up, create an extensive 3D library of military characters, vehicles, ships, equipment, etc. and produce 5 future warfighting concepts videos (about 7 - 10 minutes each) in a little over a year.

We have a seat of Maya Unlimited ... and there are some cool things that I specifically use in it like fluid effects for water scenes. But there was no way we could have learned a program from the ground up and produce as much as we did in that amount of time with Maya like we did with Lightwave.

Though my exposure to other 3D apps is limited, I find the following Lightwave components indespensible: Modeler, Surface & Texture Editiors and final rendered results. I am looking very forward to the upcoming LW8 features.

glassefx
08-13-2003, 10:57 AM
(My wife claims to be NZ's first ever 'LightWave Widow'!)

I have had a Love/Hate relationship with LW since 5.0... I have not made a friggin' dime with it! It also has sucked my life with girls completely away (almost). But me showing my work around online years ago got me an Invite out to LaLaLand to get a "look" at a studio that used (still does) LW from a guy who no longer works in LaLaLand. But I still maintain contact with him and another Studio person...

Notice how I am rationalizing my addiction... :)

jeanphi
08-13-2003, 11:31 AM
I'm using LW for modeling, uv, vetex color, set-up and animation for games production. We have reduced our time production since we moved from Max to LW, in 1999.
I use Keytrack and few scripts for animation also.

LWD
08-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Wow! A lot more than I expected. I recognize several old timers in here now that they've dropped into the thread. Thanks peoples.

Dave Adams
I, Robot/Digital Domain

Lightwolf
08-13-2003, 02:53 PM
lol :D
So, do we all win somethin' or what?
Cheers,
Mike ;)

Baloney Pony
08-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Ive used LW since before it was Lightwave. :)
Done lots with it but I mainly use it for character work which I think its great for. I just posted up some stuff I finally got around to grabbing off video.
HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/crawlers.avi)
and
HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/bullfrogshots.avi)

Hey, wow.

What were your areas of responsibility for these shots?

Just a "for what it's worth" the tracking is off on the frog clip.

Baloney Pony
08-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by LWD
How many people who post here actually use LW as a professional (ya know, make money with it on a regualr basis)?

I use Lightwave on a daily basis. I work on feature films.

I am a professional pain in the a**.

alanchan
08-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by surferjoe
My wife and I have used Lightwave since the 1980's to make money and it is the cornerstone of our business.

Joe! It's been awhile since we've chatted! I see the old farts of LW are still around :)

Unfortunately I don't use LW at work anymore.. started around LW2.0 but now I'm at a place where I have to "fit into the pipeline". BUT! We used Lightwave on our previous short film and the plan is to use it again on the next. Much thanks to William Vaughan and Chuck Baker for keeping me in the loop.

AC

Halsu
08-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Here here, TV.

Oh, and then some stuff for the above Alan dude ;-)

surferjoe
08-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by alanchan
Joe! It's been awhile since we've chatted! I see the old farts of LW are still around :)
AC

Just barely....cough wheeze....gasp.

Nice to see you're not in the ground yet, either.

BCazzell
08-13-2003, 03:46 PM
I use it more for freelance stuff than at work now. But it's still here for when Max takes a dump on geometry. :)

Castius
08-13-2003, 03:49 PM
I use LW at the company I work for doing mostly tv or anything they can manage to get in the door. While they try to get funding for bigger jobs. I also use it for all my game work that I hope to get off the ground once I get the demo done.

Scott

SplineGod
08-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Baloney Pony
Hey, wow.

What were your areas of responsibility for these shots?

Just a "for what it's worth" the tracking is off on the frog clip.
Thanks!
I wasnt able to get the shots until well after things were wrapped up. They werent sure where the finals were archived but still had stuff on their editor that were close to the finals.
The tracking was definately fixed before final due to the largeness of the format (any little bit off is magnified). I was also happy just to get them. :)
My responsibility was to model all the frogs, texture, rig, light and animate them. I did 90% of getting the 3d characters to match the background plate motions then it was passed off to another guy to to the final tweaks. I also did other particle effects (not the fireflys) on a scene with a skunk in it (you can guess the effect).
They wanted me to stay working on the character animation, lighting and all that. The backgrounds were run thru boujou(sp) to do the match moving. From that I had a "null" cloud to work from.
It was tricky because there was a left and right eye plate that had to be tracked and then matched up into scene files. We also had to create a custom camera rig for the 3D output which was also tricky.

Bytehawk
08-13-2003, 06:26 PM
I know the point cloud data can be pretty dense. Guess twice as many nulls would be a humonguous amount of data in that scene to sift thru. Or did the nulls from both cameras actually match up to eachother?

dpartridge
08-13-2003, 07:15 PM
i am a full time freelancer who uses lw for all my illustrations. based in new zealand there is not alot of work, but i manage to make a living.

SplineGod
08-13-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Bytehawk
I know the point cloud data can be pretty dense. Guess twice as many nulls would be a humonguous amount of data in that scene to sift thru. Or did the nulls from both cameras actually match up to eachother?
Surprisingly they matched up pretty well. I was able to go into the scene and delete all but the most useful nulls which were the ones that marked the end of the stump. :)

dablan
08-13-2003, 08:04 PM
I started using LightWave in 1989 as a hobbiest. Played with it everyday from version 0.9, 1.0, to 2.0. By 2.0, I had a new job, moving from Program Manager doing daily video production and broadcast shooting/editing, to corporate video producer. In 1992, LightWave 2.0 became part of the daily grind. In 1994, because of LightWave, I was able to do 3D full time, and started AGA Digital Studios, Inc.

LightWave is still the 3D program of choice at AGA, and we create lots of corporate and industrial animations, architectural, medical, and product shots for commercials. From time to time, I work on tv shows or music videos to help out colleagues. The most recent was 15 shots for an MTV Music video for the band Adema. I tracked the green screen, retextured and relit the game engine models from the Mortal Kombat video game. Midway games took the LightWave renders and composited in the band.

Go go LightWave!

novadesigns
08-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Yep use it everyday to crank out the shots for The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius :)

Not to mention freelance work and all my personal stuff. Its not what you use, but how you use it.

Lamont
08-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Roger Eberhart
Me too. Although in this case, it's just me using Lightwave while the rest of the team uses Max or Maya. And I have to export everything to Max so I can export to the game engine. But hey, I'm using Lightwave, and getting paid. Did I mention I'm using my own personal copy of Lightwave because the producer doesn't want to spend money on a program nobody else is using? Oh well. It's better than modeling in Max.Ditto. Well, we have 5 licences of LW: three 5.6 and two 6.5, I bring in my 7.5.

I just rig and animate in Max.

Oh and for medical animations. I'll post those as soon as we are done with stage one.

Lamont
08-13-2003, 10:39 PM
But my app of choice is notepad. I tried to get the office on notepad last year, but the steep learning curve turned people off.

Just upgraded.

Hervé
08-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Hey Lucky Lamont... are you beta testing for NotePad..... what a lucky boy....

Well I am the only one that does not make money.... (but I've never bother to do so... way toooo lazy...) I did a few stuff here and there, but always for free... people dont take 3D seriously here... to many yuppies... and mainly just crooked banks businesses...

I do LW since vers. 5,6... but in fact still a hobbiyst.... one day when I am in a retirement house.... ha ha...

Cheers Holly LW'ers... he he...

Hervé

Gui Lo
08-14-2003, 03:40 AM
I've used LW since version 3.5. Impressed by the stuff of Foundation Imaging I wanted the tools to do the same.

First paying project was a game that mixed 3d and 2d images used for collision detection. LW worked perfectly.

Anyway I have used it for games, print, video, Interactive 3d web objects and web ui design.

Gui Lo

lord
08-14-2003, 05:47 AM
Use it mainly for social avoidence, to satisfy my obsessive compulsive nature, and to keep my blood pressure up.

The rest of the time I use it to make animated stuff for paying (yay) clients, mostly commercials and other tv stuff.

Was using Max up until midway through last year, mostly as something to bang my head against, be verbally abusive towards, and justify my excessive alcohol consumption. (Sometimes I even got some paid work done using it.)

Polymangler
08-14-2003, 09:16 AM
I do! i've only been at it for a year now, doing logo animations and commercial stuff...right now i'm still learning about how to bid on jobs, grease up clients, find them to grease up etc.

any advice from you veterens?

Lamont
08-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Sealab!! I love that cartoon!! Way funny!!

Lightwolf
08-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Check my sig :D
Cheers,
Mike

Polymangler
08-14-2003, 12:08 PM
yeah sealab is great, i cracked up the first time i saw the "mecrab" episode so after that i decided sparks was the perfect mascot for me lol

Titus
08-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Hervé
Well I am the only one that does not make money.... (but I've never bother to do so... way toooo lazy...) I did a few stuff here and there, but always for free... people dont take 3D seriously here... to many yuppies... and mainly just crooked banks businesses

Are you from Switzerland? My friend Jens prefer to live here doing compositing because his town is populated with retired old men.

chriz
08-14-2003, 03:22 PM
I started using LW around version 3.0, and I've been using it professionally since '97 or so. Mostly film & TV, but I've done planetarium shows, videowalls, videogame covers, and industrials also. TV has been the best to me, especially Dune, Buffy, and Star Trek.

LWD
08-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Titus
Are you from Switzerland? My friend Jens prefer to live here doing compositing because his town is populated with retired old men.

uhhhhhh.......O-Kayyy

surferjoe
08-14-2003, 08:09 PM
My friend Jens prefer to live here doing compositing because his town is populated with retired old men.
Originally posted by LWD
uhhhhhh.......O-Kayyy
Yes, do indeed handle the old men with care. I hear Venice is particularly full of these, too.

Which brings me to a simple but useful tip. Longevity in business is inversely proportional to how you treat people. I can trace almost all my jobs to referrals from user groups and to contacts that led to other jobs. It's people that get you work. How good your work is doesn't help if it just sits on your drives. How you treat people along the way while you work through your projects will determine how you get referred to the next project, and so on.
Get out there, play fair, and get paid.

And if you are in Venice and see a group of old men shuffling over to Schatzi's restaurant mumbling about "Nuke this and Nuke that", try to help them across the street instead of reporting them as terrorists. You never know who they might really be.

:D

Hervé
08-14-2003, 11:59 PM
My Town is populated with young wolves yuppies, money is their god, stock exchange is their church, accross the road is a liquor store....

LWD
08-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Perhaps the folks fascinated with their local demographics could start a new thread?

jcool
08-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Discovered LW as part of Video Toaster 2.0, and have used it professionally since 1994. As long as I can keep talking new employers (3 so far) into buying a seat of LW instead of making me use Maya or Max, I guess I'll be using it. [edited]

Maimo
08-16-2003, 03:08 AM
i've been using lw professionally since 98, although i plyed around with a friends toaster before that. I do all sorts of stuff, VFX and Logos, Tons of Particle stuff, CelShading, LW has payed for it'self 500 times over. Although AfterFX comes inhandy to, and Now DFX might make some money for me to.

Lamont
08-16-2003, 03:11 AM
Tell them about how you want to revolutionize the adult entertainment industry with the 3D porno you made Maimo.

Carnera
08-16-2003, 04:30 AM
i started using lw as a inhouse game artist (that was back in 95)
and now i run my own company (specialized creating cinematics for games )
and lw is still my "choice of weapon" ;)

bye andras

MBA Studios (http://www.mba-studios.com)
Carnera3d-Seminars (http://www.carnera3d-seminars.de)

Maimo
08-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Oh yeah! LOL

almost forgot about that ...

You Bastard!

:mad: ... :D

Ya See Im Sorta Lamonts Editor, So that kind of comment is to be expected!

He's a kick *** modeler! and We both have Japanese wives, I don't know where thats going.?!

We are doing work for a Dental/medical Education company in San-Diego whare i convinced them to use LW.

Lamont Gets the fun job of of modeling all sorts of Dental Tools.

P.s. Dont post anything without asking me first, We could get in trouble if the prodect isnt released yet.

faulknermano
08-16-2003, 10:17 AM
i do t.v. broadcast stuff. mostly commercials.. you know, stupid product freights. but sometimes it gets challenging.. especially when you talk about deadlines. :D but we get everything: character animation, visual effects, flying logos, cel anim, etc etc.

we've been getting prospects on some small-time film work, so we're antipicating how that pans out. :)

papou
08-16-2003, 11:14 AM
same here, broadcast, tv show, in a french tv company.
Since 7 years, we make short scientist animation.
actually, we are making 45sec animation everyday with it.

RCFX
08-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Ya, I earn my living off Lightwave. I freelance TV commercials and indie films from home, plus have done studio work for projects like Max Steel, Dan Dare, and the two Dune minis. Currently I'm VFX Supervisor on "The Helix", a low-budget Matrix satire in which all the 3D effects are Lightwave. It should be in video stores by November.

Maimo
08-16-2003, 10:01 PM
looks like we have the Television industry pretty well seeded I dont fear for the market share so much, I think there will always be really good LW guys out there working alongside max and maya. Basically its all Fruit (apples and oranges).

Anyone working for ABC and or Disney and using LW. Just curious, I Do work for them third party through another production company, I usually dont tell them how i do anything mostly falling on deaf ears but im not sure what Disney NOC in Burbank uses.

SplineGod
08-16-2003, 10:09 PM
I know someone at Imagineering using LW for attraction and location based pre viz. They liked what he was doing so much that I was asked to train 12 supervisors to use Lightwave. He was doing some pretty cool stuff. He told me that Eisener had seen an commented favorably on what he was doing. :)

RCFX
08-16-2003, 10:11 PM
I actually snagged an interview with Disney's Theme Park Productions, the division of Imagineering that creates all the movies that play inside the Disney parks. They were all Maya on Macs, which basically sealed my fate as far as employment went. I know a couple people in Disneys television division who also use Maya. I know they had a small department doing R&D with Lightwave a couple years back, but I'm not sure that department still exists.

Maimo
08-16-2003, 10:12 PM
The head of Marketing saw a sponsor spot i did for nemo, We did tons of underwater bubble stuff using hypervoxels and volumetric lighting looking up at the surface of the water, she said that LW was the way it should always be done.

SplineGod
08-16-2003, 10:15 PM
I also spoke to a producer from Film Roman at siggraph. She was interested in LWs celshading for doing some stuff on King of the Hill. She told me that their core digital dept was all Lightwave based.

Maimo
08-16-2003, 10:18 PM
that reminds me... does anyone know... if they are using LW for 3D cellshade stuff on Futurama?

Bog
08-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Guilty as charged. Quite possibly the UK's most vociferous capitalist ;)

I've been using LW since back on the Amy (I quit my physics degree to build spaceships and make them fight!). I actually started making money with LW about three years later. Now, I've been freelancing for about 7 years and I'm still loving it. Every time a new version of LightWave comes out, I'm re-suffused with joy and happiness and lots of new toys to play with. It just keeps getting better and better!

We just won't talk about Lightwave 6.uh-oh, alright?

Anyhoo, I've done bits of most things - from the dry (architectural and product pre-vis) through the average (logos, more logos, and a few logos) via the fun (compositing live-into-3D and vice-versa) through the joyous (Blowing stuff up! Making it BURN!) to the truly rewarding (Character work, some cool projects for people like The British Library and Channel 4).

It's mainly been low-profile stuff, I haven't stood in many spotlights, but I get paid (*koff* eventually) for doing what I passionately love. Bloody marvellous....

There are some minor odds and sods up at:

http://www.imaginetix.co.uk

fabmedia
08-17-2003, 12:24 PM
To jump into this one late... I do too. I have a graphic design business and have used LW to create prototype images for clients, create logos, and of course have fun.

It's nice and easy to use.

Arlen

Bog
08-17-2003, 12:27 PM
As a side note, a lot of people ask me what the best 3D package to learn on is. My response is always "LightWave" for that very reason - it's easy!

For some reason, they don't seem to be able to make the connection that Easy = Good. One of the things that makes LightWave so very powerful because it makes difficult things easy. Go figure...

fabmedia
08-17-2003, 12:36 PM
that's a really good point. It took me a while to figure out how things worked with modeler and the very impressive surface editor (which still sometimes makes me cry trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong). But coming from a spline-based program like Infini-D which was awesome, it's a definite plus and gives me the control to do what I want.

I know people who use other programs like Electric Image Universe, Maya, and 3D Studio, and they are impressed with the time saved with modelling, ease of use and the realism that can be achieved. I think if people just look at what the program can really do, they would understand that the cost isn't what matters. Rustboy.com uses Infini-D for all of the animation, modelling and rendering which completely blew me away, but it just goes to show that it's the artist and the solutions that are created by the artist is what really counts.

Arlen

archiea
08-17-2003, 05:17 PM
hey Larry,

Was the Producer from Film Roman called Loren Smith?

SplineGod
08-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Thats her! :)

archiea
08-18-2003, 03:14 AM
A friend of mine. really nice, hard working lady. I met her in a shake class like three years ago. One of the few, serious, hands on producers that I've met.

Small world, heh?

wavk
08-18-2003, 08:03 AM
I use it for architectural visualisation since two weeks:) Before that I used Blender/YafRay to get the job done.

CAClark
08-18-2003, 09:05 AM
We use it to create all the art assets for our current xbox title at Argonaut Games.

Cheers!

SplineGod
08-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by archiea
A friend of mine. really nice, hard working lady. I met her in a shake class like three years ago. One of the few, serious, hands on producers that I've met.

Small world, heh?
I agree, I was impressed at her technical knowledge. :)

cholo
08-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Uh-huh. I make money with LW. Not too much, not too little. Have had it since it became standalone (3.5) Have done stuff for TV, video production, commercials, etc... Been at it for the last 10 years :) Btw... I started with Imagine 1.0 back in the days of yore. (well actually I started by programming my own graphics on a C= 16 and recording them onto Betamax tapes to make documentaries for school a loooooong time ago) :)

robkoni
08-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Hi there, been useing LW for 4 years now , mainly in Commercials for the UK, and music videos,Robbie williams/Gorrilaz .However if I wanted to do Movie work here in the UK i would have to dump LW:mad: still going though,still love it:D

Fozz
08-19-2003, 06:36 AM
I'm kind of making money with LW too.
Not very much yet, LW still hasn't earned in what it costed me yet, but it's getting there.

Bionic Antboy
08-19-2003, 03:47 PM
I've been using LW on a regular basis since around 96. When I started at the company it was mainly a few industrial type animations, but now we do broadcast spots exclusively -which is much more fun.

Originally posted by Lamont
Tell them about how you want to revolutionize the adult entertainment industry with the 3D porno you made Maimo.

As for this, I remember talking about something like that years ago over beer and a game of snooker with some friends. :) I always thought that it would be a groundbreaking achievement. :cool: (and would probably make some money too) :D

JeromeMD
08-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Thanks to my personal license of LW 7.5 the multimedia department of the PR firm where I work (actually, that's just me...) was able to deliver 3 (60 seconds, full CG) commercials/corporate animations for events this year and countless print illustrations, visualizations, web animations, etc... Makes us look like big players ;) and saves us a lot of $$$$.

I want to thank Newtek for making an app that runs as well on an AMD K7 500 (work) as on a dual P3 1g (home).

peterpro
08-20-2003, 10:44 PM
I've been using it since it was videoscape =)

I've personally animated, modeled, supervised, and composited with lightwave for over 20 projects, including Alien hunter for sci channel (all lightwave and fusion), max steel, dan dare, nascars the kellys, Red planet, twisted metal black and a slew of others.

Hi to all my chums from these same productions. Ryan, dave adams, larry, steve, and all the rest!

yo