PDA

View Full Version : Christian Bale loses it on the set of Terminator: Salvation

Matt
02-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Not sure how many have heard this, probably everyone!

Christian Bale has a total melt down on the set of 'Terminator: Salvation' at a DP after he walks in front of a light during a take, for what appears to be the second time.

Nothing better than when A-lists go bananas and start dropping F-bombs!

Contains extreme language:
http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/020209_christianbale.mp3

I quite liked Bale, but this has put him firmly in the Prima Donna, up his own ***** category.

Mitja
02-03-2009, 03:07 AM
LOL
Fantastic!!! Really!

Matt
02-03-2009, 03:10 AM
How the DP didn't knock Bale out is beyond me!

jeromeOlivier
02-03-2009, 03:18 AM
is a pro! Bale is not.

DiedonD
02-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Darnest thing! I cant see a thing! I only have voice here!

Anyone seeing any vids there?

Matt
02-03-2009, 03:21 AM
is a pro! Bale is not.

Contrary to Bale's suggestion, yes, it is the other way around.

Boris Goreta
02-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Unbeliveable, I just downloaded the mp3 and played it at normal volume. Only at the half way through I realized that my 18 month old baby was crying in the corner of the room. Talk about concentrated negative energy accumulated in that mp3. And my baby doesn't even speak a word of english. I guess Christian needs some anger management. On the other hand good acting is hard work so I can understand why he got mad. I loved his acting in Rescue Dawn, I watched it recently and enjoyed it.

Matt
02-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Darnest thing! I cant see a thing! I only have voice here!

Anyone seeing any vids there?

It's audio only _MP3_!

Matt
02-03-2009, 03:25 AM
On the other hand good acting is hard work so I can understand why he got mad.

Still no excuse to go off like that though, especially after the guy apologised and yet Bale still keeps going after him.

walfridson
02-03-2009, 03:26 AM
Reminds me of the movie Living in oblivion :), actor and DP fighting...

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0667305/
The producer knows Bale cost more than the DP....

DiedonD
02-03-2009, 03:32 AM

Oh my bad, I thought it was visible that he was knocking him out LOL

toby
02-03-2009, 03:33 AM
I *can't stand* Bale, I never want to see his stupid "I'm cool" forced frown and elf-looking face on screen ever again, I'd rather see Rowan Atkinson play Batman, but I can also understand him getting pissed at someone messing around *during a shoot* on one of these high-profile movies, for the second time. No one is supposed to do anything while the camera's rolling, and the actors and cameramen (and anyone else who has a role during the shoot) are under a lot of pressure. Everyone prepares very hard for that moment that the camera's rolling, if it's ruined by someone screwing around, there's going to be hell to pay.

Boris Goreta
02-03-2009, 03:35 AM
What is his role in that film ? Maybe he is a thug of some kind ? Maybe he got into his role a bit too much ? Some of the actors change their entire way of living many months before shooting just to be able to get into the character. Yes, the poor fellow did a mistake but didn't deserve all that harsh language. But can't you see that Christian's motivation for all that was to make a good scene ? I'd say that is very professional. He wants to make a good movie but the poor fellow wants to stretch his legs a bit and can't wait for the scene to finish so he can go home. See the difference ? It is not what you do but how you do it.

Matt
02-03-2009, 03:38 AM
What is his role in that film ? Maybe he is a thug of some kind ? Maybe he got into his role a bit too much ? Some of the actors change their entire way of living many months before shooting just to be able to get into the character. Yes, the poor fellow did a mistake but didn't deserve all that harsh language. But can't you see that Christian's motivation for all that was to make a good scene ? I'd say that is very professional. He wants to make a good movie but the poor fellow wants to stretch his legs a bit and can't wait for the scene to finish so he can go home. See the difference ? It is not what you do but how you do it.

He plays John Connor as an adult during the war:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/terminatorsalvation/

danchez
02-03-2009, 03:39 AM
I love Bale and this sounds to me as prank / viral
sounds "played"

kopperdrake
02-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Nah - I don't care what happened there's no need to be that aggressive or that kind of language used, I'm suprised the guy didn't lamp him.

Just the usual over-sized ego treating others like dirt - everyone makes a mistake - dick.

Of course, if it's a viral then bloody good acting!!

hrgiger
02-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Bale's kind of an Ahole. But he's kind of like Tom Cruise. I think he's a bit whacky in real life, but I love his movies.
And to me, it doesn't sound played, it sounds like he's either half on something or he's showing off for somebody.

Matt
02-03-2009, 04:08 AM
sounds "played"

1 post?

Could this be Mr. Bale or his agent coming to play down this outburst!

:D

Skonk
02-03-2009, 04:13 AM
I've never particularly liked the guy, or his movies.

BUT I dont think you can judge him on a bit of audio like this, it's not clear if the guy he's shouting at said sorry in a serious way (he could have been walking off, shrugging, pulling a face etc.. that would suggest he wasn't making a sincere appology for all we know).

So yeh he's obviously angry and shooting his mouth off, i'v seen and heard worse from lots of people.

Lets say a top golfer or snooker player are about to take a shot and then someone start firing off a camera flash in their face for example, that person would get anoyed and it's not unheard of for people in this situation to react in this way.

So as i said, i dont like the guy (no real reason why, i just dont) and i'm not a fan of much of his work but for me this audio says nothing other than he got pissed at some guy for unprofessional behaviour.

Red_Oddity
02-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Bale shouldn't have been the one to react like that, it should have been the ADs job to correct the DP.
Looks to me not even the director or AD where paying much attention to the on-set preview monitors or the set itself, other wise they would have spotted it.

Also, we don't know what pressure the scene was shot at, could have been one of those last minute shots at the end of the day when you always have to rush everything to get your schedule done for the day (every day on every shoot i have been at always ends like madness trying to get everything done for the day), so when someone screws up for the second time, i can imagine tempers flare up.

danchez
02-03-2009, 06:00 AM
1 post?

Could this be Mr. Bale or his agent coming to play down this outburst!

:D
not first, i dont know why this board counts posts so weirdly.. i could not even edit my older posts till i reached nr 20 or so...

anyway, to topic..
well i am not his agent .. but i really like him and until now, i didnt have anything against him.. he was great as batman and noone beats his performance in Mechanist

Kuzey
02-03-2009, 06:12 AM
haha....I must be the only person who didn't know about Christian Bale, I had to Google him. It seems he worked on a batman movie or two...go figure. :hey:

Kuzey

danchez
02-03-2009, 06:16 AM
not first, i dont know why this board counts posts so weirdly.. i could not even edit my older posts till i reached nr 20 or so...

anyway, to topic..
well i am not his agent .. but i really like him and until now, i didnt have anything against him.. he was great as batman and noone beats his performance in Mechanist

mystery solved, i got two ids here! damn

back to topic:
anyone has anything against bale except this weird mp3? why is everyone hatin, for me bale is on of few actors who really worked up, not licked balls up

Matt
02-03-2009, 06:17 AM
I thought Bale was great in American Psycho, and The Machinist.

Sucked in 'Equilibrium', but then, the whole movie sucked IMO.

Matt
02-03-2009, 06:18 AM

anyway, to topic..

I was just kidding fella, what with it being the first post an' all!

danchez
02-03-2009, 06:18 AM
another thing... you haters never yelled at anyone? this guy (not bale, but the one hes yelling at) could be really stupid, and deserving this

Matt
02-03-2009, 06:27 AM
another thing... you haters never yelled at anyone? this guy (not bale, but the one hes yelling at) could be really stupid, and deserving this

Don't hate Bale, just find it a disproportionate amount of abuse. But saying that, the DP should know better.

And thinking about it, it can't have been a real take, if the Director shouted Action! The DP wouldn't have gone to check the lights, so it must have been a rehearsal, which is probably why he thought it was okay.

colkai
02-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Sucked in 'Equilibrium', but then, the whole movie sucked IMO.

Talk about tastes. :p
Me, I loved that film, so did the missus, on the flip side, couldn't abide the machinist. If proof were ever needed how you can have things in common with folks, and yet, not so much. ;) :D

Nangleator
02-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Rowan Atkinson as Batman... You may be onto something good there...

Rowan as Blackadder playing Batman, and who plays Robin...

DarkLight
02-03-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm with Colkai on that one. I thought Equilibrium was a good film as well :)

danchez
02-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Don't hate Bale, just find it a disproportionate amount of abuse. But saying that, the DP should know better.

And thinking about it, it can't have been a real take, if the Director shouted Action! The DP wouldn't have gone to check the lights, so it must have been a rehearsal, which is probably why he thought it was okay.

i didnt mean you:)

couldnt he shout Action before the record has started?:)
by the way.. didnt see equilibrium, have to check it out

melmoth2
02-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Bale's kind of an Ahole. But he's kind of like Tom Cruise. I think he's a bit whacky in real life, but I love his movies.
And to me, it doesn't sound played, it sounds like he's either half on something or he's showing off for somebody.

Bale's English but he's yelling in an American accent. That makes me think he's still in character and basically kicking off at the others from some weird John Connor sweary tough guy stance.

Oedo 808
02-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Depends how much wandering the other guy had been doing, personally I'd much rather spend my time with someone who gets stressed at someone for their lack of consideration than spend it with someone who remains fluffy and light all the time but gives out little consideration to those around them.

And yea, I do reckon that Bale is too free with his aggression, he was arrested a while back for a fracas involving his family I think. I also think that he is a bit of a prima donna. But I'm not going to feel sorry for that other guy because to me he sounds like the kind of dopey twat that blights many a life but gets away with it because he can just say "Oh, sorry man." And then everything's alright.

I'm sure Bale's temper wasn't aided by the fact that it was up to him to say anything about it. The only way I'd be against him is if the guy hadn't really done anything wrong but was too meek to deny it. Else, Bale gets my vote because I'd rather people overreact than make no reaction at all.

I don't really buy the hoax idea, but hoax or not I guess it's kind of obvious I carry massive 'baggage' concerning this type of behaviour.

richcz3
02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Well in the link that walfridson posted, it says Bale was working on a very intense scene when he was interrupted. The audio of Bale also seems to indicate that the DP had done it previously. Then again Bale was accused by his Mom and sister of assault before the premiere of Dark Knight.

All things considered. I'm sure from here on out people are going to sit still and mind themselves when hes acting on set.

sbrandt
02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
In a time when the world is filling up with
politically correct candyassed incompetents
who think they're somehow entitled to start
at the top and who believe no one can possibly
question their counterfeit 'self-esteem'...

...I say GOOD FOR BALE !!!

MY OPINION OF HIM JUST SKYROCKETED !!!

bobakabob
02-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh f*** Here comes the dance mix...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48&eurl=http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/42504

cresshead
02-03-2009, 02:23 PM
he must be getting old...i get that grumpy everyday!
move along nothing to see here...move along...

cresshead
02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48&eurl=http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/42504

cool mix!:thumbsup:

Nangleator
02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Trying not to burst out laughing while listening to this at work.

TripD
02-03-2009, 02:58 PM

You just made my day! :thumbsup:

evolross
02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Seriously, it sounds like 'roid rage.

Nangleator
02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Yah. Hemorrhoids sure are aggravating.

...What?

Matt
02-03-2009, 04:38 PM

LOL, God Bless YouTube!

jasonwestmas
02-03-2009, 04:45 PM
The dude is stressed out most likely. That I can understand but he should have let that one go a lot sooner.

tyrot
02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
dear BALE

you rock...

-ed harris is doing the same:) who rocks even harder..

Hope they can make another movie

Silence of the Sets
Featuring...C.Bale...as DP eater...:)

man this is my new desktop sound for a week...

Best

evolross
02-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Yah. Hemorrhoids sure are aggravating.

...What?
Sorry, let me help you out Nang... ste'roid rage. Make sense now?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was juicing for his roles a little. He certainly looks buff in the Batman movies.

GCastro
02-03-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm on Bale's side on this one. The DP will be better for it. :)

-George

Serling
02-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Working in a high-stress environment can easily produce this kind of action/reaction. Hell, I've seen people come to blows over stuff in a newsroom.

Still, why was the DP "wandering around" on set during a take? If there were a problem with the lights, call attention to it after the take and reshoot. (Thought that's what video assist is for).

OTOH, Bale was way out of line to carry on that long. Pressured or not, to keep at it after the other guy has surrendered by apologizing is only self-serving and serves no useful purpose in the end. Taken together with his recent charges on domestic abuse, the guy appears to be hot-headed and out of control. He should seek professional help before he hits someone or they hit him.

toby
02-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Rowan Atkinson as Batman... You may be onto something good there...

Rowan as Blackadder playing Batman, and who plays Robin...
Yea I would love that - not much of an example of preferring *anyone* over Bale... how 'bout... I'd rather see Howie Mandel play Batman.
http://www.woundedbird.com/mandel_howie/5427.jpg
http://www.biloxitickets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/biloxi-tickets-howie-mandel.jpg

btw - you guys all see Gotham Nights? :bowdown:

hrgiger
02-04-2009, 03:59 AM
I'd like to see Napolean Dynamite play Batman.

I'm Batman Dangit.

DiedonD
02-04-2009, 04:42 AM
This whole thing might just have been an act in itself!

Christian Bale is an actor! His characters are action oriented!

And Batman 1 and 2, if The Joker playing actor didnt die, didnt went that far!

Perhaps its a hype! You dont see him doing it, and even if you did he couldve acted it!

Now, if you would see Bale hitting the DP, in a non arguable for real style, then its different!

Otherwise, he perhaps is trying to fill in the position of the Hollywoods Bad Boy, cause I havent been hearing much from that Aussie actor neither!

Tonttu
02-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Christian bail out (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984)

The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.

The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that **** down before the scene starts.

Sekhar
02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
This whole thing might just have been an act in itself!

Or a marketing ploy to build up an angry bad guy image for the Terminator character.

*Pete*
02-04-2009, 11:01 AM
heheheh...sounds like my former boss LOL

aidenvfx
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
One of my short lived careers was a boom op and before getting hired there was set protocal training and the main rules. NEVER GET INTO AN ACTORS LINE OF SIGHT. While at the end Bale might have gone a little to far the fact is someone should have made it very clear to this DP that moving lights during action should not be done.

hrgiger
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Speaking of Terminator Salvation, here's a page with a lot of concept art work from it. http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/terminator-dire.html

grimoirecg
02-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Look at it this way - if this sort of thing didn't happen, you fishwives wouldn't have anything to gossip about, and then where would you be?

wiremuse
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Reminds me of the movie Living in oblivion :), actor and DP fighting...

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0667305/
The producer knows Bale cost more than the DP....

After reading the news in that article especially the "The 35-year-old actor was arrested in July in London - just days after the recording was said to be taken - over accusations he attacked his mother and sister at the city's Dorchester Hote"

If that turns out to be true I won't watch another movie he appears in.

mikala
02-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Bale needs a reality enema.

phillydee
02-05-2009, 09:18 AM

ROFLOL!!!!

HAHA~I'm still laughing... hahaha!!! Thank God for *UK*youtube...!!!

SaturnX
02-05-2009, 03:03 PM
ROFLOL!!!!

HAHA~I'm still laughing... hahaha!!! Thank God for *UK*youtube...!!!

Good value! heh

Mr Rid
02-05-2009, 03:52 PM

A friend who has worked with this DP on a couple of movies said he is indeed a goofball who needed to be taken down a few notches.

But hey.

"Its ownly a moovie." -Hitchcock.

JeffrySG
02-05-2009, 04:30 PM
OMG that remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=YTihsJQHt48&eurl=http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/42504) was too f-ing funny....

People go off all the time but what ever happened to talking like an adult to someone else... even if they did mess up. What.. is he 6 years old??

JeffrySG
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah... this is why Actors are not role models in any way... I actually like his acting. But I'm glad I'm not his DP. Anyone who lost that much weight for the Machinist has to be a little 'off'.

Magnus81
02-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I couldn't believe this when I heard it. I can understand Bale getting annoyed with the guy for breaking his concentration in the middle of a scene, but Bale took it SO FAR overboard to the point of no return.

Adrian Lopez
02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
A friend who has worked with this DP on a couple of movies said he is indeed a goofball who needed to be taken down a few notches.

But hey.

"Its ownly a moovie." -Hitchcock.
"If you don't stop moving about, I'm going to get a nail and nail your feet to your mark, and the blood will come pouring out like milk ... so stop moving!"

-- Alfred Hitchcock to seven-year-old actor Billy Mumy.

DBMiller
02-05-2009, 07:25 PM
He was good as Jim Hawkins in Treasure Island with Charlton Heston as Long John Silver. Bale was quite young then, sounds like he hasn't grown much.

mosconariz
02-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Decided. I'll never hire Christian Bale for a movie

Liber777
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, this sounds harsh, but I totally understand where Bale's coming from with this one. Keep in mind this outburst comes after this DP has apparently done this for the second time on set.

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
That Christian Bale remix was nothing short of genius.

DiedonD
02-06-2009, 12:26 AM

We here represent Christian and would like to defend all accusations against him, and prove to you that it was just a bad day that Christian was having, it was just a nail in his toe, that was itching him throughout the day, as you can see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmcl/2153092686/

So lets not allow just one nail to ruin his carrier, cause Christian is a fine profesional.

Please reconsider his involvement on your upcoming movie? And lets not allow one toenail to nail his carrier for good!

Regards
His Agent

Mr Rid
02-06-2009, 12:36 AM
"If you don't stop moving about, I'm going to get a nail and nail your feet to your mark, and the blood will come pouring out like milk ... so stop moving!"

-- Alfred Hitchcock to seven-year-old actor Billy Mumy.

... although, a horror director, directing a wriggly kid actor by speaking calmly out of ear shot of anyone else on set, trying to get him to stay in frame and look frightened in a closeup (it worked). Rather than a $10mil-per-pic, diva screeching at the people he works for because his delicate concentration was interrupted on some dumb, explosion movie.

doimus
02-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Was this supposed to be rude or aggressive?

In my part of the world, we address each other like this when we play Sunday-afternoon football game on the local school playground. With little children and their grandmothers present in the hearing distance.

theo
02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I swear to you, I still own a slim seedy side- in spite of having long since been removed from the grime of the streets into a very comfortable rural lifestyle.

I would taken this abusive moron down several notches in spite of what it would have done to my career.

Man, there is something about human pride here at play. I understand anger. I understand passion. I understand appropriately-dispensed excessive anger, even.

BUT- just because I am understanding of your anger at something I screwed up on DOES NOT - at all - mean I don't have a limit.

You step over that limit into a land where your anger becomes an unnecessary abusive rage I will get in your face and it ain't gonna matter who you are, how much money you make, what business you own or how big you are.

Dexter2999
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Is that on your list of things you will never do?
Right above "Never have sex with Jessica Alba".
And "Never take my Austin Healy to a drive through car wash."

doimus
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
And never rig properly in LW. No matter how many core rewrites they do.

dnch
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Christian bail out (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984)

thanks for that, for me its end of this "cause", no need for me to read more chicken gossips about this...

but that remix is fun:)

toby
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Right above "Never have sex with Jessica Alba".
Totally dude, after she made that shrine of me, I just had to start saying no.

toby
02-06-2009, 02:29 PM
apology
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7875756.stm

grimoirecg
02-07-2009, 06:23 AM
I disagree with the entire concept of 'the apology'.
The basic premise is that you can do anything you want as long as you follow it with a 'sorry', and then everything ok.
Not a very good message to teach children.

JBT27
02-07-2009, 06:49 AM
In fact all he's done is make a monumental fool of himself, and I agree on the apology thing - apologising for screwing-up is one thing, that's fine, but losing the plot to this degree.....nah.

And here's the thing - the DP did make a major mistake, and clearly others didn't pick up on it soon enough, but Bale would have picked up far more street-cred by humiliating the DP for a mistake like that, with sarcasm, or just a comment, even witty, a put-down, without losing the plot like this.

It seems movie history, such as it is, is littered with clever put-downs over situations just like this, making the perpetrator look the idiot they actually were for that moment.

But then that kind of response requires composure and a degree of experience and education. Some have it, some don't.....

Julian.

LightFreeze
02-07-2009, 07:01 AM
ACTION

tweak tweak

"please dont do that, this is an intense scene" - "Oh OK"

ACTION

tweak tweak

"buddy dont tweak the lights during a take" - "Oh OK"

ACTION

tweak tweak

"for f**ks sake would stop tweaking the ******* lights you ******* idiot"

ACTION

CUT

"thats a wrap"

result

theo
02-07-2009, 07:33 AM
I disagree with the entire concept of 'the apology'.
The basic premise is that you can do anything you want as long as you follow it with a 'sorry', and then everything ok.
Not a very good message to teach children.

I agree only to a small extent.

The complex emotional folds that compose the human fabric are often not easy to navigate and, therefore, predict or change.

People DO, in fact, need to apologize for behavior that is abusive. You cannot remove the healing power of an apology by automatically assuming it is a null social effort.

Even if there IS a pattern of fckd up behavior the PATTERN itself is an indicator of some nebulous emotional issues (anger, for example) that someone may be struggling with and is therefore having a tough time controlling.

I found Bale's apology totally acceptable. I can only hope he apologized directly to the poor man he ramped.

Those of us who hide or closet our inadequacies or shortcomings may often be the least forgiving.

Ivan D. Young
02-07-2009, 07:43 AM
I can't believe this topic has gone this many pages, So Bale got a little overboard who cares. The guy he was yelling at is known in the inudstry for the behavior that got Bale mad. He had a Chaperone on set to prevent him from doing it, that is also mentionied in the Rant. He was warned before he took this Gig that Bale and another actor on this project do not want him to do his usual Light tweaking. Even after Bale Talked to him before the blow up, he continued! he F'king continued! The guy absolutely deserved to be talked to, so what get over it! Bale over reacted, but this guy was warned over and over and over! so you guys jude Bale an @ss, you were not evern there!

I think the reason people like Bale in movies, is because he takes his job serious and is not taking any scenes off, well you got proof of that. If anything I like Bale even more, because he takes his job serious and is ready to fight for quality. Sho' Nuff!

Sande
02-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Uuh, actor gets angry at someone on the set... STOP THE PRESS!!! Well, maybe I shouldn't be sarcastic, because some obviously felt that this was something special and unheard of... ;)

Maybe I could get all this if he was a pope or something similar, but actor...? Oh sweet Jesus - this enormous amount of hypocrisy. :D

Or maybe I just can relate to him because I sure as hell myself will flip out if someone is ruining my work at the wrong moment. Maybe I better call my therapist. I'll get my coat now... ->

Tonttu
02-07-2009, 08:09 AM
When Directors Attack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMVILMo1Cq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhDO9Dc-aS0

(I <3 Huckabees)

theo
02-07-2009, 08:16 AM
I can't believe this topic has gone this many pages!

You've just contributed to your own state of disbelief. Epic.

grimoirecg
02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I agree only to a small extent.

The complex emotional folds that compose the human fabric are often not easy to navigate and, therefore, predict or change.

People DO, in fact, need to apologize for behavior that is abusive. You cannot remove the healing power of an apology by automatically assuming it is a null social effort.

Even if there IS a pattern of fckd up behavior the PATTERN itself is an indicator of some nebulous emotional issues (anger, for example) that someone may be struggling with and is therefore having a tough time controlling.

I found Bale's apology totally acceptable. I can only hope he apologized directly to the poor man he ramped.

Those of us who hide or closet our inadequacies or shortcomings may often be the least forgiving.

The fact is that some people are capable of an outburst such as we heard, and some people are not, even given the same circumstances, pressure etc. Some people can control the themselves and other can't.
I much prefer people who can keep control and therefore never have anything to apologise for, rather than the ones who assume they can get away with anything, becasue when they later apologise for it, everyone meekly accepts it, since it seems to have become some unwritten social rule.
If you accidentally step on someone's toe then an apology is perfectly acceptable, but not when you have deliberately done something negative to someone.
I don't accept those sort of 'get out of jail free' apologies. People make choices and do what they do and there's no going back on it.

Oedo 808
02-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah, Bale went over the top, his rant was excessive, but I don't disagree with his right to have a rant to a lesser degree. Some people would rather live with those who couldn't care less about others and treat others like crap so long they don't make a scene while doing it, than they would with those who can lose their cool, and get angry when someone takes the p***. To me, this is completely bizarre.

I have a hard time believing from what has been said that this guy distracting Bale was a rare occurrence, but so long as he remains meek then no one will say anything to him and when someone does then they'll feel sorry for him and defend him, and all under the banner of some pathetically skewed delusion of righteousness.

Constantly interrupting someone trying to performing a difficult task = wrong, end of story.

Shouting at someone for such thoughtlessness = absolutely fine, though agreed Bale went to far.

Well, that's the way I see it, though there is no point in arguing this as I have tried and failed for many years.

But hey, I promise not to raise my voice, so that way I can do and say as I please, right?

theo
02-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I much prefer people who can keep control and therefore never have anything to apologise for, rather than the ones who assume they can get away with anything, becasue when they later apologise for it, everyone meekly accepts it, since it seems to have become some unwritten social rule.
If you accidentally step on someone's toe then an apology is perfectly acceptable, but not when you have deliberately done something negative to someone.

Listen, grim, I understand your frustration with the race but we aren't dealing here with mannequins.

Deliberate acts of malice are inappropriate, to be sure, but even so, if the person, after the event, can stand back and self-evaluate and offer a sincere apology for their actions it is inconsistent with human empathy not to at least acknowledge this.

I think the ramifications of repeatable ****y behavior is realized in the loss of local relationships. I don't think some sort of large-scale social out-casting is right when one considers that the collective owns enough problems of its own to go many times 'round.

There is definitely a fine line here.

grimoirecg
02-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Listen, grim, I understand your frustration with the race but we aren't dealing here with mannequins.

Deliberate acts of malice are inappropriate, to be sure, but even so, if the person, after the event, can stand back and self-evaluate and offer a sincere apology for their actions it is inconsistent with human empathy not to at least acknowledge this.

I think the ramifications of repeatable ****y behavior is realized in the loss of local relationships. I don't think some sort of large-scale social out-casting is right when one considers that the collective owns enough problems of its own to go many times 'round.

There is definitely a fine line here.
That argument doesn't work unless you include all humans in it, and there are plenty of people who think twice or three times before doing or saying things and make sure they have nothing to apologise for later.
Certain other people just don't think, because they blatantly don't care about the feelings of others. They are the ones who lack empathy.
A later apology is nothing but hot air, it's not them speaking but some socio-moral obligation they feel they have to 'perform'. They meant whatever they did or said, and they should accept that. How can you tell when an apology is 'sincere' anyway? He's an actor after all :)

People have a choice of how to behave. They can choose to do or say something, or not to do it. Some people use their choices wisely, and others don't. If you accept the apologies of such people you only encourage them not to think about their actions BEFORE they do them, because they know they always have the old get out of jail free card up their sleeve for later.
I think you'll find that this sort of behaviour is habitual in people who lack empathy, so don't try to pan it off as 'human behaviour'. It's only the behaviour of certain humans.

Having said that, in this case it's nothing to do with me, its not my place to accept Bale's apology or forgive him. I think he's a good actor.

Hopper
02-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I can't believe you girls put up 90 posts in 2 days about this guy... lol.

Tom Wood
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM
This audio recording was sent to the insurance company holding the completion bond in case Bale bailed out of the film. The question is, why did this 'leak' now?

LightFreeze
02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
People have a choice of how to behave. They can choose to do or say something, or not to do it. Some people use their choices wisely, and others don't. If you accept the apologies of such people you only encourage them not to think about their actions BEFORE they do them, because they know they always have the old get out of jail free card up their sleeve for later.
I think you'll find that this sort of behaviour is habitual in people who lack empathy, so don't try to pan it off as 'human behaviour'. It's only the behaviour of certain humans.

Having said that, in this case it's nothing to do with me, its not my place to accept Bale's apology or forgive him. I think he's a good actor.

could you not lay this argument at the feet of the DP, who humbly apologised and then carried on regardless, how many meaningless apologies are you prepared to accept?

aidenvfx
02-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Bale apologizes by calling into a radio show

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=11973&count=0

mav3rick
02-08-2009, 03:06 AM
terminator to the core :)

Stooch
02-10-2009, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70r-Ca8wcVg&feature=channel

CAClark
02-10-2009, 08:42 AM
sounds "played"

Yeah, sounds like a staged thing to me as well, cos he almost laughs a couple of times.

Cheers!

bobakabob
02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I can't believe you girls put up 90 posts in 2 days about this guy... lol.

Well done... you just made #92