PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Procedural Basketball Texture

Michael Lizak
02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I was wondering if you guys could help me with getting my procedural basketball texture looking better? My bump mapped ball has a much more realistic texture, but spherical mapping pinches the poles. Please see my attachments. Would appreciate your help. -Thanks

JeffrySG
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
William did a video on a baskeball in the 9.6 area.

But if you wanted it to be really realistic I would UV unwrap the ball and then use your texture. Make sure the texture is seamless. And I would unwrap each of the orange sections to minimize any distortion.

UnCommonGrafx
02-03-2009, 04:34 AM
There's an image out there that someone did that is a projection map for a basketball. That is to say, it's like a cartographers map of the earth...
Worley may have even done it way back when there were many more 3d applications out there.
It was part of a book offering on something Imagine related...

JeffrySG
02-03-2009, 10:25 AM
There's an image out there that someone did that is a projection map for a basketball. That is to say, it's like a cartographers map of the earth...
Worley may have even done it way back when there were many more 3d applications out there.
It was part of a book offering on something Imagine related...

Yeah, you're right... I have it... saved it as a png file.

Not sure how it will work on top of a modeled ball but you can probably retouch out the lines. You would use a spherical projection for this one.

Weepul
02-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd say you could use your texture, but since the dots don't have to smoothly go across the seams, you can use two separate spherical projections to avoid the pinching. The four equatorial rubber pieces can be spherical mapped with the major axis along the Y (assuming your 2nd image is oriented with Z toward the camera, Y upward, X horizontally), and the remaining 4 pieces can be spherical mapped with the axis along the X. This can be done with classic projection mapping, or by creating a UV map, whichever you prefer.

On the original "procedural" note, I looked through all the LW procedurals, IFW2 Nodal, and dpont's RMan Collection and none of them looked like they'd make a truly convincing pebbling texture. :(

Michael Lizak
02-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Just want to thank everyone for their help with this basketball texture thing. I tried everyone's suggestions. As Silkrooster suggested, I used William's sub-D Basketball tutorial for the mesh. I had a model I had initially purchased, but it was poor compared to the William's's sub-D one. I added some more detail into the seam. I tried William's procedural texture technique, but could not get a realistic enough texture. I used image maps and weepul's trick to hide the spherical pole distortion.

Even with all the help, this simple project was frustrating and took some time. I do 2D & 3D graphics for a living. 30% of my work is LightWave & I have been using LW for 8 years. LightWave is a bargain for what it can do, but I always find it challenging, alot of the time too challenging. I suppose if I did 3D 100% of the time, and had the fastest computer, and the best plugs, that might not be the case. Maybe all 3D programs are this way. Maybe I really suck! William and the rest of you guys make things seem so easy. Thanks everyone for the tips & tutorials. I could have never done it without all the help.

JeffrySG
02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
It came out great! Glad it worked out for you. :)

zapper1998
02-15-2009, 06:18 PM
can u share the image ??? the basketball png one ???