PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED ASAP! Lightwave 9.6 says

hairy_llama
02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I get an error when running LW 9.6. It says my key has expired and I must get a permanent key.
Well how do I do so? I have tried to obtain it online, it says the beta is no longer running. I tried to use my old 9.0 non beta serial and it won't register either.

I have a deadline and I can't work. How can I make this bastard run?

Thanks for any help.

adk
02-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Should be the newest license key that's not betaphase from what I recall.

Make sure there are no spaces at the front of the numbers & that should work. Hope that helps / works & you can get back on track.

adk

OH forgot to add ... this is in the registration>my products page.

hairy_llama
02-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks. But I tried both keys, the original 9.0 and the updated beta key.... neither works. It seems it wants a new key, but where do I obtain it from?!
It says my key has the wrong number of characters... The key I have for 9.0 has four sets of four numbers, has this been changed with 9.6?

jaf
02-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Just a guess. Maybe you need to download 9.31. intall and go through the registration process to get a new license number?

I thought I started at 9.0 but don't see it listed n my downloads page. I seem to remember someone say "your 9.31 key will work now with 9.6".

adk
02-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I simply used my v9.0 key that's in the registration>my products section (and yes it's still 4 sets of 4 numbers ... 0000-0000-0000-0000) nothing changed there for 9.6

Now don't take this the wrong way but did you actually download & install 9.6 ? I'm only asking because with all the beta action over the years I once downloaded & installed the wrong version of what I thought I was installing ... and my attempts to license it kept failing - similar to your problem. After scratching my head for a while I figured out my mistake. Always pays to double check.

Hopper
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I may be mistaken, but I think it uses your permanent license key from 9.3 or greater. I remember upgrading from 9.0 to 9.3.1 and I had to have a new license key.

hairy_llama
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
ADK, I think you got it.

I have 9.6 BETA, downloaded and installed. It's serial expired today. Heh.

As soon as I get in tomorrow I'll download 9.6 release version, I'm assuming that will fix my issue.

Thanks!

adk
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
... no problem :thumbsup: I just hope it all works as expected. Hopper also makes a good point so I'd keep that in mind as well. Good luck.

hairy_llama
02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Well, installed the final version of 9.6, still no luck registering :(
I am using my permanent 9.3 serial number...

adk
02-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Well I'm fresh out of ideas on this one, sorry :( ... plus it's late & I'm sleep deprived & working so brain is a little fuzzy. Let's see if we can lick this tho ... How are you registering it ? Via the .exe or manually editing the license.key file ? Also - there was a PDF posted by Chuck ( on the beta forums ) outlining the installation for 9.6 on all platforms. Maybe flick through that and see if that clears something ?

I actually tried this before (as in 10-12 hours when we last saw you) and it worked fine. Win32 machine.

Svenart
02-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I also have problems to run LW9.6. My temporary key for the LWbeta expired today, so I installed lw9.6. I tried all keys I had but its only running in discovery mode "registration key not found"... doesnt work, not in win64 or win32

hairy_llama
02-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Ok, GOT IT!

It appears the registration tool is broken!

Manually enter your permanent key into the license.key file!

worked like a charm.

Program files > newtek > lightwave > programs > license.key. Open with NOTEPAD, enter correct serial number. Save.

adk
02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great news. Glad you got it sorted. I always manually create the license.key file & simply paste the key. Never failed me yet :)

It's probably the CORE thread and server overload that's causing that registration tool to fail :D

Ok, GOT IT!

It appears the registration tool is broken!

Manually enter your permanent key into the license.key file!

worked like a charm.

Now just Svenart to sort out & I hit the sack ... @ 3.45 am ...

Svenart
02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I tried also to enter it in to the license.key file, but it doesnt worked... tried all keys again.... also tried it from lightwave help and the registerlightwave program.. still not working....

adk
02-03-2009, 09:46 AM
... bare with me a minute Svenart ... just doing a few screen grabs.

OK ... so step by step ( & excuse the simplicity here, it's not intentional - just trying to get to the bottom of this for you, I know you are a clever guy )

You've downloaded v9.6 (as per Pic 01 - number 1 ) ?
And you have something like this ( as per Pic 02 - numbers 2 ) in your NT>registration>my products page I assume ?

I would try a clean install (obviously) without installing any of the extra bits like HELP / CONTENT / SENTINEL / SDK etc.

You know how to use custom config paths along with new shortcuts I assume ( with the -c option in the shortcuts )

Once you set this up simply create a fresh license.key file in your 9.6 PROGRAMS dir. and paste the 0000-0000-0000-0000 key in. Make sure there are no spaces at the front - nill, nada, zip :)

Save and that should be it ....

I'm sure you've done this a million times before so I feel silly doing this in such a simplistic tone / fashion.

PS: Hope no one gets CSI on me here and starts unsharpening those pics :D

Svenart
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I also tried now to install LW9.3 and 9.5, but also they are not running with any of my keys?

adk
02-03-2009, 10:06 AM
... I edited my previous post so it's posted on previous page.

man I need sleep :)

Svenart
02-03-2009, 10:09 AM
thanks for your detailed description. I did it exactly this way but it doesnt work,,, Not with LW9.6, 9.5 or 9.3... in win32 or 64 If I try the permanent key it says :"License key not found"... if I use the betakeys it says:"License key expired".... but thank you for your help:)

adk
02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Not a problem :) I'm only reciprocating the help that I've received here over the years.

Something is weird here ... ??? Something simple (which is usual) but I just can't think of anything else atm ???

I think you can actually paste multiple license keys into the one file so long as they are on separate lines ? Might save you trying all the combinations. Try that perhaps.

PS: I might need to leave you in the more capable hands of someone else here as it's 4.30 am here Down Under & I have 3 hrs of sleep before I need to start work again :)

I guarantee you it will be something that we'll kick our selves over when we see it :D

Night Svenart & hope you get it sorted asap ....

hairy_llama
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Is your dongle ID showing up correctly?

Svenart
02-03-2009, 11:09 AM
yes, my dongle number is showing up correctly. I now tried to start lw9.6 64bit version on an 64bit system, and it worked:) Only in 32 bit its not working....Do I maybe have to register 32bit version to get a different key?

Skonk
02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeh 32 and 64 bit keys are different.

adk
02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
So ... you get them all working yet Svenart ?

You will definitely need to register both 32 & 64 version (like Skonk says) as they use different license keys. It's all there in a PDF from Chuck that I mentioned on the previous page.

yes, my dongle number is showing up correctly. I now tried to start lw9.6 64bit version on an 64bit system, and it worked:) Only in 32 bit its not working....Do I maybe have to register 32bit version to get a different key?

Silkrooster
02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Just to clarify to only reason for installing 9.3 was to upgrade the dongle driver. That was before they made a separate install for the driver.
Version 9.6 includes a dongle driver installer piggybacked to the Lightwave installer, so it should be fine to skip the 9.3 install. I have not heard anything to the contradictory.
If you have a previous install of any earlier version of the 9 series you can copy the .key file to the new install.
As mentioned by others the 64 bit version does require a separate license key than the 32 bit version.

Marshun
02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Jumping in here w/o reading all of the previous responses but I had a bit of the same trouble finding the proper key to put in. I had to reinstall my OS and lost everything > though I have enough to put all I need back into place. But, I didn't need to install ANY previous LW version ... including 9.3.1. I just downloaded 9.6 and re-entered the key ending in ...1 that's NON-beta and it took. No Discovery mode.

Svenart
02-04-2009, 05:11 AM
I have registered now the 32bit version of LW and everything is running now. Thanks for your help.

VicMackey
06-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi guys I had the same problem after a reinstall of windows got the license key not found message, entered my license via Layout, restarted only to be told license not found.

I manually opened the license.key file and found it put "6570" before the license code. I deleted this number leaving nothing but my license and VOILLA!!!

Thanks for everyones help in this thread! It was the number one find on google when I went to look for the solution! :)

borkus
06-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Just chiming in to say thank you to everybody as well. I had been having problems with 9.6 as well and had heard so many different ways of trying to fix it. Following this thread, which by the way was the simplest way to go about it, fixed it like a charm and all is good now. So, thank to everybody for giving advice as it helped me as well.

multipasser
06-17-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm getting sick of the registration with lightwave. Cant they make a normal way of registration by entereing a serial number in the program itself?

If you download a new version it just the program/plugins. It even doesnt have the registration.app with crashes on osx! Common newtek. You are loosing the 3D game. Even blender is passing lightwave like a jetplane. :(

StevieB
06-19-2010, 07:08 PM
The most sad part of this whole thing is it's now 2010 and they still have yet to make their registration utility function properly. I can't believe I purchased a program that is taking me hours to install. Going to try everything on this thread and if none of it works I'm going back to blender. At least they don't have 'this' problem.

biliousfrog
06-21-2010, 04:25 AM
The most sad part of this whole thing is it's now 2010 and they still have yet to make their registration utility function properly. I can't believe I purchased a program that is taking me hours to install. Going to try everything on this thread and if none of it works I'm going back to blender. At least they don't have 'this' problem.

The registration function has almost always worked perfectly, the only problems that people have experienced (including on this thread) are down to:

1) the user

2) UAC, Firewalls etc.

I am guilty of having issues with my keys because I didn't read the information regarding 64/32bit keys being different (#1) and also because of UAC in Window 7 (#2), it's frustrating and there are numerous threads which discuss it but they generally all give the solution. It's not a problem with NewTek, it's a problem with user's not reading the information provided and skimming over existing threads on the subject.

Read through the thread fully and read the documentation that comes with the software. I have already explained in another thread why your keys aren't working but I'll go through it again.

Your key is expiring after a short amount of time, I suspect because you have a beta key. The current release is 9.6, I suspect that you are using the 9.6.1 beta which expires every 30 days.