PDA

View Full Version : Shrox UK!

shrox
02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey friends,

I am in England now, living in Redruth. I am pretty happy so far. The trip here went perfectly, no delays, I flew across the Atlantic on Virgin Airways, it was great. Only about 30 people on a plane for 300. Dinner was excellent, chicken and rice, white wine, roll, cheese, chocolate cake, free pillow, blanket, socks, sleeping mask and movies, all free, and that was economy class! The studio is in the countryside, and the house I live in is a stone block victorian with a nice yard. I haven't tried driving yet, at least the pedals are the same, just on the right side.

It's great so far, I think I'll stay.

Titus
02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
That's good to know. Does your dog is travelling with you, I know they have a long animal quarantine there.

Darth Mole
02-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Welcome to England, dude, home of chips, the industrial revolution and casual, alcohol-fuelled Saturday night violence. If you ever go sightseeing, pop in on Bath - and mail me before you do!

biliousfrog
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey welcome to the UK...just in time for some typical UK weather!

Darth Mole, do you work in Bath? I came over last year for a meeting at A Large Evil Corporation, I'd have booked a tour of the city if I'd known ;)

Hopper
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
That's awesome Shrox. I'm glad things are finally working out for you. Just don't become a Hooligan now. I think we have enough of those around.. :D

I hope you don't have to be without your pets for too long. Quarantine sucks. It's like prison for animals.

biliousfrog
02-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Quarantine sucks. It's like prison for animals.

haha...that'll make him feel much better!:foreheads

Matt
02-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Welcome to Britain dude!

Shame you brought the snow with you! ;)

Anyway, you have my mobile, if you need anything let me know!

Hey, there's a get together this Saturday/Sunday in London to celebrate Dan 'Dog Boy' Barker's birthday, would be great if you could make it down.

akademus
02-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Awesome! So happy for you! Have a blast in UK and Europe!

geothefaust
02-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Grats man, glad to hear something worked out for you. I've been following your situation, ours both are very similar so it's been inspirational. :)

RebelHill
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
aha... took that house of fear gig did we... I looked at that, but my x love who was working in redruth for a while convinced me its the arse end of cornwall... sadly.

hope u do good things, man, welcome to the old world.

Tobian
02-02-2009, 12:17 PM
So now we know who to blame for all this snow! :p

Welcome to this side of the pond! I shall buy you a pint if you are ever as far up North as me :D

Kuzey
02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Great news....glad you liked it so far :D

Kuzey

archijam
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Congrats Shrox, great to hear.

And as for passing the winter evenings:
- I would recommend the british 'profiler' drama 'Wire in the Blood' - just make sure you start at season 1 and not 6 or whatever they're up to now. Very different take than the typical american stuff.

- Learn cricket! There is a test match coming up between Sri Lanka and India on the 3rd of Feb, even if you hate the game, find a pub that's playing the match! And cricket bats are just as good for slogging the ball for your dog when you're on a walk ;)

Enjoy! :D

Nangleator
02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Awesome to know you landed on your feet!

Now get a bowler hat and develop a silly walk.

Matt
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh, and Shrox, if anyone ever says they are going outside "for a fag", they are going for a cigarette, not for a homosexual encounter!

:D

Oh, and NEVER say to a girl she has a nice fanny, it means something entirely different here, and you'll likely receive a slap (or an offer of sex, depending on where she's from!)

:D

Hopper
02-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Oh, and NEVER say to a girl she has a nice fanny, it means something entirely different here, and you'll likely receive a slap (or an offer of sex, depending on where she's from!):D
That's pretty scary. I was just thinking that while eating lunch. I made the mistake of asking a woman about her "fanny pack" (as we call it here in the states). You should have seen the look of absolute horror on the woman's face... uh.. oops?

Darth Mole
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Biliousfrog - yeah, Bath city centre. I didn't know we had any Evil Corporations in town...

Matt
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
That's pretty scary. I was just thinking that while eating lunch. I made the mistake of asking a woman about her "fanny pack" (as we call it here in the states). You should have seen the look of absolute horror on the woman's face... uh.. oops?

LOL! I can imagine!

I remember watching an episode of the Simpsons once where Marge talks to Lisa about a new dress or something ... "there's a nice picture on the front, and one on your fanny"

I spat my tea all over the room! :D

MooseDog
02-02-2009, 09:32 PM
separated by a common language!

oh well, at least everyone at work will speak 3d, that should be smooth sailing.

on the outside though, say as little as possible and keep your eyes and ears open as, seriously, these very nice people around you are simply not speaking the same language you are (and i'm from the much more uptight east coast, coming from cali it should be quite a shock). that was my experience and no one offered to beat the sh!t out of me! :)

wp_capozzi
02-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Once upon a time I was involved with a girl from Liverpool. She would tell me quite often that she was knocked up by the postman today. Me being from the US, I was speechless with horror I just didn't understand. Even after it was explained what she meant, I had a strange feeling everytime she would say it. Almost everyone had a good laugh.

Shrox - glad to hear you found something! Best of luck!

Intuition
02-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Glad to hear about your escapades Shrox.

Countryside livin eh?

Did you get to take your furry pals too?

jin choung
02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
w00t!

your 4 legged pals had an uneventful trip i assume? (not in passenger cabin right? too bad... i'd much prefer pets to babies on planes!)

jin

biliousfrog
02-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Biliousfrog - yeah, Bath city centre. I didn't know we had any Evil Corporations in town...

Shame on you!...a Lightwave studio on your doorstep!

http://www.evilcorp.tv/

:)

Matt
02-03-2009, 03:34 AM
They're obviously keeping him busy, no time to reply to this thread! :(

kopperdrake
02-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Glad you've landed safely Shrox :thumbsup:

Like I said, if you're ever north in the Midlands look us up and we'll show you the local beer haunts :)

And another tip seeing as you're down the West Country way, do *not* assume the local scrumpy cider is as timid and painless as the sweet appley taste would suggest. It often hits 8-9% and has a kick like a mule the day after :D

zapper1998
02-03-2009, 04:13 AM
Totally Awesome Shrox .... Get er Done dude ....

Have a beer for me :) u deserve one...

Hows your dog doing ??

Mine is about to die....
snif, snif, cry, cry,,
15 years old last month...
and she is about done....
I don't know if I can handle her dying...
ok enough of my babble

Have a great Day and A Great new Life.. you so deserve it..
:)

Michael

Otterman
02-03-2009, 04:27 AM
Redruth isnt the best place in cornwall but your surrounded by some fab coast shrox. The North coast of Cornwall is Englands surfcity. Youve got Falmouth college of arts just around the corner...my old uni. Ul have a great time...enjoy.

Zapper, sorry to hear about ur ole hound. Heart breaking when your old faithful barks his last bark. Make him as comfortable as possible and let him go with dignity....and when he finally go's remember the days when he used to chase his tail.

colkai
02-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Has he brought his dogs over? I didn't see any mention of them in the first post.

Hope he has, can't imagine life without a dog, especially when you've had one for a while, you always have 'someone' to welcome you home. :)

shrox
02-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Hey friends,

Internet is a bit fleeting here, the snow kills our sat dish. My dog and cat are in Arizona at my sister's desert compound. I might be able to bring them over as animal actors, they wouldn't have to be in quarantine that way.

Yes, I brought a big bag of snow with me, but it broke open and covered England, sorry. I am living with some good people, we made an obscene snowman and had several snowball fights as we were stuck at home, the roads were so bad.

I am running 9.6 on a dual quad under XP 64 bit, 8 gigs, a terrabyte of storage. Two 24" monitors, that is very nice, the other artists get only a single 19". I am refered to as "The Shrox" here.

I want to thank everyone. Many people talk about their online friends, but if they ever needed real help, it wouldn't be there. I have real friends on Newtek forums. Thanks again.

cresshead
02-04-2009, 06:13 AM
welcome to england...we'll get back to the usual drizzle of rain and grey skies soon enough...enjoy the snow in the meantime!