PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave --> C4D (models and textures)

JeffrySG
02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience with converting LWO model to C4D models? They would most likely be a combination of CC subd models with a little bit of poly modeling as well.

I usually use OBJ files to convert models from application to application, but on a current project I may need to convert files with texturing also.

If anyone has done this or has any advice please let me know. Purchasing new software is probably not an option for this due to the budget but I'm curious to hear what anyone might suggest.

Thanks! :)

nemac4
02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
c4d can load lwos. With bodypaint (part of c4d ) there is a plug-in to transfer models directly from LW Modeler to bodypaint.

JeffrySG
02-02-2009, 07:04 AM
c4d can load lwos. With bodypaint (part of c4d ) there is a plug-in to transfer models directly from LW Modeler to bodypaint.

Cool, thanks. Do you know if that plugin is for LW modeler or for BodyPaint? Do you know if textures transfer over also? What about textures from nodes? Or UV maps?

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

iluxa
02-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Cool, thanks. Do you know if that plugin is for LW modeler or for BodyPaint? Do you know if textures transfer over also? What about textures from nodes? Or UV maps?

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

You need exchange modules between BP and LW:
X:\Program Files\maxon\CINEMA 4D\Exchange Plugins\lightwave\pc\Lightwave 9\PC32-64Bit - Mac\
B3DImport.p and BPExchange.p
---
All uv data saved:
http://f.imagehost.org/t/0979/lw2bp.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0979/lw2bp)

I missed:
If there iare procedural textures, need bake somehow.

JeffrySG
02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Thank you iluxa. :)

I do not own BodyPaint, but my client does. Do you know if those plugins will work without BodyPaint on the same machine as LW? If I use the plugins will I be able to export the file to BodyPaint for my client to use?

Good to know about the procedural textures, too.

iluxa
02-02-2009, 08:07 AM
>>if those plugins will work without BodyPaint on the same machine as LW?
No, it's real-time modules. Need path of BP or C4D for work.
About single lwo exporting, it's nice import to BP and C4D. Also 11 version of c4d supports collada and fbx(from 9 to 11) too.

JeffrySG
02-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Ok, thanks again. I'll run some tests with my client to see how the LWO and the FBX or Collada files import.

:)

JeffrySG
02-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi,

Can any of the C4D users around here tell me how to take a object and apply subdivision smoothing in C4D? The same way that we would hit the TAB key to turn it on in LW? Where is that option located in the menus and what exactly is it called in C4D?

Cheers!