PDA

View Full Version : Will the Core anouncement meet expectations?

Ernest
02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
There are many threads that show what people are hoping the announcement to be.
Expectations have run pretty wild.

Realistically, do you think the announcement will meet the super-high expectations, exceed them or fail to meet them?

After the announcement, everyone will say I knew it, so let's see what people are really expecting before the announcement is made.

cresshead
02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
really..who knows..

well newtek have a bit of a clue but the rest of us even after all the clues and hunting down of info we really don't have that much of a tangable list of features or even exactly WHAT it is!

I'm hoping it's a clean slate starting point...1 app..that would be a 'win' for me.

vector
02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
The expectacion is always much more bigger than final result, I just hope Lw will be competitive

Vector

pooby
02-01-2009, 03:28 PM
How can you expect something to exceed your wildest expectations? its a nonsensical paradox.

Stunt Pixels
02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
How can you expect something to exceed your wildest expectations? its a nonsensical paradox.

Hmmmm... OK, how about if you're not very imaginative, and your wildest expectations would be for Lightwave to now have a history stack. BUT, you're aware that there are more creative people in the world, and at Newtek, so you expect it to exceed anything you could imagine.....

Man, I need a coffee.

geothefaust
02-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Exactly. How can something exceed an expectation without knowing what to expect?

:screwy:

Ernest
02-01-2009, 03:58 PM
When I said our wildest expectations I meant the wildest expectations that we have posted in the forum so far.

lwanmtr
02-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm gonna take the high road and say it's not gonna have anything to do with Lightwave...hehe

hrgiger
02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
It's going to disappoint some, that's a mathematical certainty. But in general, I think a lot of people will be happy, maybe even ecstatic. Me, I'm hoping a few key issues are addressed. Of course, this is all hinging on whether this is or is not Lightwave 10 and how soon it it may be in our hands.

JMCarrigan
02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
It wouldn't be fair for me to speculate.

dgrigo
02-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I will vote after Matt :P
They listen to us and that's the great thing about it, I think at the end it will meet most expectations.

Myagi
02-01-2009, 05:25 PM
It wouldn't be fair for me to speculate.

I knew it! Enjoy your insider info for another da or three :D

littlewaves
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Luke: "Well more than you can imagine"
Han: "I dunno I can imagine quite a bit"

grimoirecg
02-01-2009, 05:33 PM
This has all been quite stupid. Building up people's expectations and encouraging wild speculation and rumour is not a healthy thing and only leads to disappointment.
I've no idea what they hope to gain from this nonsense.

jasonwestmas
02-01-2009, 05:36 PM
To who's super high expectations? Mine? Nope, I'm afraid not. . . never. That's ok, I just use whatever gets the job done fastest and within budget. Lw is good at that in many ways.

Hopper
02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
As a hobbiest I expect nothing, therefore I will be pleasantly surprised regardless. There is no risk for me because I don't squeeze every ounce of capability out of the software like a lot of you guys do. I'd say I get my fair share of about $350 out of it.

danielkaiser
02-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Be happy with what you have to be happy with.

Verlon
02-01-2009, 06:37 PM
if you vote for the first choice, aren't you expecting it to exceed what you expect?

:devil:

I expect to see more than the 4-5 features we have been handed in clues, yes. I expect quite a bit more than that.

zapper1998
02-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Funny thing.....

We won't know anything till the 4th of Feb......

I have no clue to what will happen, so many things are being said....

So till Feb 4th I won't know... Honestly ....

I hope it is what I am thinking... But it probably isn't .... :)

Michael

geothefaust
02-01-2009, 09:14 PM
One thing is for certain, that it will be what it is, and what it is only NT knows.

A Mejias
02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I think it will fall short of not only expectation, but need. It will disappoint most and in this economy NT will suffer a major financial blow. Despair will spread throughout the 3D community when Autodesk swallows up the rest of the 3D apps including LightWave, Zbrush, Modo and PMG:messiah. And just when you thought things were grim the John Cleese Asteroid will strike the earth on it's next orbit…

geothefaust
02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Mejias, actually, to be honest... The asteroid Apophis is going to strike the Earth, asteroid johncleese will not. :)

Myagi
02-01-2009, 09:51 PM
fear not, what newtek is going to unveil is their counter-asteroid weapon Core that will save earth, the asteroid clue is a dead giveaway.

(how's that for high expectations ;) )

geothefaust
02-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Pretty high (Mr) Myagi! NT, saviors of the Earth! :p

TripD
02-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Heh, NT has invented rocket powered horses with clapping-coconut drives.

Myagi
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
african I hope

A Mejias
02-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Mejias, actually, to be honest... The asteroid Apophis is going to strike the Earth, asteroid johncleese will not. :)

Yes, yes, but it changed it course after a visit to the Ministry of Silly Walks. :)

geothefaust
02-02-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here... I just want to point something out. :)

If you scroll up and click on "View Poll Results" for the poll, you'll see that Jim Plant has voted, notice he voted for "The speculation has it just right."

:)

mouse_art
02-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Hmm, but did he read the entire Core Thread? ;) (there were some(a few ;D ) crazy speculations.)

jin choung
02-02-2009, 01:21 AM
actually, i'm in a great position on this. my expectations were so completely retrograde that every morsel, every bit of reveal has ALREADY EXCEEDED MY WILDEST EXPECTATIONS!

will it be perfect? of course not. but the fact that we have a unified app and apparently completely sane and sensible buttons on the interface once again gives us a solid foundation to work from.

jin

lwanmtr
02-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Alright..who voted for the 'wont have anything to do with.....'? I was supposed to be the only one...lol

colkai
02-02-2009, 01:45 AM
No way can it live up to the expectations folks are piling on it.
It can never be all things to all people, the big question really is not so much if it can live up to expectation, but if it isn't a big disappointment when it arrives.
Someone is bound to complain about the lack of feature A, B, or C but if it is a solid product which takes LW to a whole new level, I think that should be enough for most.

DeepThroat
02-02-2009, 01:58 AM
One application
Python support
Stack modifier
NormalConstraintNode (we're going all nodal?)
Customizable Interface (I'm sure there's more)
The Mode menu
DS Subdivision
The Hierarchy of a rig
What the dev team has done with LW9.6

All this makes me think the announcement is going to exceed my wildest expectations.

Where're so near now...

dballesg
02-02-2009, 02:01 AM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here... I just want to point something out. :)

If you scroll up and click on "View Poll Results" for the poll, you'll see that Jim Plant has voted, notice he voted for "The speculation has it just right."

:)

And DeepThroat has voted "It will exceed our wildest expectations"

I think is part of the campaing, basically they have orders of making all of us crazy! :)

rakker16mm
02-02-2009, 02:27 AM
Exactly. How can something exceed an expectation without knowing what to expect?

:screwy:

Only a professional optimist with extremely bad luck is qualified to answer that question. :D

colkai
02-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Ahh, so close.
Alas, I am a professional pessimist with bad luck. :p :D

Salv8or
02-02-2009, 03:00 AM
I hope for instancing, polypushing OGL, a smart historystack (Nodebased, and stable.), better (faster)dynamics, latice/cage/poly-deformers, everything nodebased and able to link all thing to all things.. (driving vertex position via node to procedurals or adding expressions in nodes that will drive the motionblur length for a specific object..). I not sure when IŽll use it, but if I would like to I could.
Well you get my point.
If its a one app sullotion I really hope they have done it in a smart way, and that poly/vertexgeneration will be a noissue in the interface, and animatible.

My excpectations are way up in the blue, but thats not important. However I think we will see a totaly new application, and with that, there will be both disepointments and things we never thought of. And with all mayor changes in a software there will be alot of bugs to kill and compability issues.
None of us will be totaly satisfied, some will probably fear the Core and some of us will swallow it all. (I think I will.)

What I hope for thou is that they make a stable foundation (the Core?) to build upon.

And for what its worth, I trust the dev team on NT and im not afraid of change... So go, NT, GO !!

pooby
02-02-2009, 03:55 AM
I think there will be a lot of users who have never bumped against the glass ceiling in LW.
There is a way of working simply in LW that needs no new core and there are plenty of users who work within that zone who I predict will not really fully understand why Newtek had to mess around with the old workflow.
Just as there are users who, despite what solid reasons others give for desperately needing a unified app, will still state that separate is better because it seems more comfortable to their simpler way of working.
Its a case of ' I dont rig or need to animate modelling procedures so I dont see why anyone else needs to either.'
LW core will disappoint and it will excite and everything in between depending on the recipient and their needs.

One thing is for certain though. If Newtek hadn't took this leap and had instead kept patching the old version, Lw would have fizzled out over time.

dballesg
02-02-2009, 03:59 AM
I think there will be a lot of users who have never bumped against the glass ceiling in LW.

:i_agree:, and they do not know how much it hurts when you hit it!!! :D

sclptr
02-02-2009, 04:20 AM
I am just hoping it will be a must have for some of us Modo users.

caccipergolo
02-02-2009, 04:34 AM
mmm. i'm expecting just a long openbeta. Looking at the last version, at how much they improved the app form version 9.0 to 9.6, i'm confident that an openbeta will be the right choice.
I think they know the features lw need and how much they have to improve the ease of use, and with a long OB they can reach them all.

Fadlabi
02-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Get more, need more.
yes there's a new features but it's not all the feature the users we need.
wait until a new announcement and there will be anthor expectations ....!

jasonwestmas
02-02-2009, 07:44 AM
There is a way of working simply in LW that needs no new core and there are plenty of users who work within that zone who I predict will not really fully understand why Newtek had to mess around with the old workflow.
Just as there are users who, despite what solid reasons others give for desperately needing a unified app, will still state that separate is better because it seems more comfortable to their simpler way of working.
Its a case of ' I dont rig or need to animate modelling procedures so I dont see why anyone else needs to either.'
LW core will disappoint and it will excite and everything in between depending on the recipient and their needs.

One thing is for certain though. If Newtek hadn't took this leap and had instead kept patching the old version, Lw would have fizzled out over time.

Despite what many people say here (Mostly talented non-CA people) I think the rigging and animation part of Lightwave will help the most to sell it and make it more acceptable in the mainstream crowd (Mostly Autodesk Custies and Studios). The pros that have used LW for what it does best already know what that ceiling in lightwave is for CA but they are not necessarily the majority of users that help sell the product. I still believe that marketing wise, "Character animation and rendering" are what sell 3D software to the people just breaking into the industry, who to me seem to be in the majority. It only takes a few PROS to demonstrate the proper tools in order to sell the CA package, but the majority of users out there are in fact "New People" who have a lot to learn and are still going to be unknowingly attracted to the most complicated sets of animation Tools which is the CA market. Now I'm not saying that non-CA work is not important or there is no market for it, there most definately is and in most cases the budget for non-CA outweighs the budget for CA projects. BUT, I really don't think the majority of new users are going to buy into a Lightwave package that does not emphasize a "complete" CA toolset. Until we have well informed 3D customers in the majority (Which is a ways off), Lightwave and it's mediocre mentality (it seems) for CA tools will loose a lot of customers. This is not to say this kind of mentality will continue in LW X mind you.

*Pete*
02-02-2009, 08:13 AM
i believe it will meet our wildest expectations...but not immedeatly, since the biggest advantage of the CORE will not be obvious.

what has held LW back all this time is not the lack of talent or will from the programmers..it is simply the fact that LW is built in an old fashion way and its simply not made to handle all the new stuff we want to have.

with the new CORE, we should be getting a new, state of the art foundation for a future LW...a LW that allows for the future implementation of things that LW has been lacking all this time when compared to the other big ones.

we could not get instancing natively in a way that we would like to becouse LW was not built for it, now it is built for it...and many other stuff that we cant ever dare to imagine yet.

feb 4 will be the beginning..we will see a much improved LW, but next year and the years to come we will see something that is so far advanced that we cant even consider it possible today.

JeffrySG
02-02-2009, 08:16 AM
I think the real question will be, after they do announce what the whole 'core' thing really is how will we feel about it after we actually get our hands on it?

Considering we really aren't exactly sure what this will be I wouldn't even want to guess. It's fun being excited about something you have no real idea about, but I'm trying not to get worked up about actually getting my hands on anything just yet.

So, I'm choosing to abstain for now... ;)

*Pete*
02-02-2009, 08:25 AM
true.

basically, even if LWX is able to do a dozen times more stuff that LW9, we the users will still be doing what we always been doing..our skill level will not increase proportionally with the quality level of LW.

so most of us, the absolutely majority of us, will find nothing new in LWX simply becouse as someone mentioned..we have not hit the roof of LW9's capacity yet.

AbnRanger
02-02-2009, 08:49 AM
I think it will hit on the most critical points...CORE and the open areas of the image seem to indicate that the SDK will really open up to allow developers into LW's core structure. So that was probably a high priority.

The 2nd is Modeler and Layout Intergration. It may be that you're able to switch to layout and modeler in the same interface/UI, but both reference a central point for object and scene data...the Core of the application, where the object, surfacing and scene data resides...instead of having 2 different and discreet applications that have to share data through a link/hub.

This CORE concept is probably the reason they have held off from adding instances natively...and that is likely to be one of the main new features.

So, I think it's a safe bet at this point to expect that they have addressed or will address these 3 CORE components needed to make the next release a successful one. Everything beyond that is gravy.