PDA

View Full Version : Help in building a rig

hrgiger
02-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Ok, so I've decided it's time for a new PC. I went cheap the last time and bought a Dell system and while it's been a decent system, I regret buying a dell since they use their own proprietary parts and I couldn't get a decent power supply or upgrade it very easily. So I want to build my own system this time. I've never built my own so I'll probably need some advice. I know there are many threads on new systems so one more shouldn't hurt.
I'm thinking of getting the new i7 Intel processor and will probably go for the mid-range 940. I'd splurge for the high end 965 if you guys could convince me the extra $500 would be really worth it. I have heard you can overclock both but I also read that the 965 doesn't have a locked multiplier. I always thought the multiplier had to do with overclocking.
Could use the advice on motherboards and what's a good one. I'd like to go 64 this time and be able to throw 12-16 gigs of RAM on it. I know I need the LGA board for the i7.
So, good recommendations for good names in memory, power supplies, coolers and video cards are very welcome. Thanks. I was looking at parts on Tigerdirect.com but are there better sites for parts?

coremi
02-01-2009, 08:27 AM
If don't want to overclocked, best mainboards in stability are Intel mainboard, not as performant as Asus but very very reliable. u can also overcloack with intel board.

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DX58SO/DX58SO-overview.htm

I found very nice and very good Case and power supply from Cooler Master, a bit expensive

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=18&product_id=2810

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1622&product_id=2750

With no overcloacking DDR3 could be any kind of good quality RAM, if you want to overcloack than it is a very different story, don't know what to advise you, only to check www.tomshardware.com and see what they have used for overcloacking.

Videocard i like this one, has a good price vs performance:

EVGA e-GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC (SuperClocked) (55 nm)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/10103-evga-geforce-gtx-260-core-216-216-sp-superclocked-edition-review.html

If you want to overclock buy the cheapest Core i7, 920 cause it is half the price of 940, even if you break it you cand buy another and lose no money. you may read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii,2119.html

warrenwc
02-01-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm almost finished with my new system & I went with the i7-Extreme.
I've no plans to overclock, but I want to be able to go a long as possible without having to upgrade again.
I also went with the Cooler Master HAF case but splurged on a PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer power supply.
Be aware that if you go for DDR3 1600 ram, your moterboard will only accept one DIMM per channel, limiting the amount you can fit on the board.
I've gotten Patriot DDR3 12800 (12GB).
I went with the ASUS P6t deluxe MB Just because I've always had good luck with ASUS & I liked the look & features of the board.
My Video card is the BFG Geoforce GTX285 OC. Less power consumption & a little more performance than the GTX280.
I'm also planning on installing Vista 64 Ultimate & Windows7 Beta.
Good Luck:thumbsup:

hrgiger
02-01-2009, 04:47 PM
For the LGA board for the i7, is that a variant of an ATX board? Am I looking for an ATX case or is there specifically a LGA case?

warrenwc
02-01-2009, 05:18 PM
ATX is still where it's at.
That HAF Cooler master case is sweet.
the only screws you'll use are to mount the MB.

hrgiger
02-01-2009, 05:54 PM
ATX is still where it's at.
That HAF Cooler master case is sweet.
the only screws you'll use are to mount the MB.

Yeah, it's $170 most of the places but it's only $149 on Amazon with free shipping. I'm think I'm going to bag it. Or case it, as it were.

warrenwc
02-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I like the big fans too.

ericsmith
02-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah, it's $170 most of the places but it's only $149 on Amazon with free shipping. I'm think I'm going to bag it. Or case it, as it were.

The HAF may look edgier, but take a look at the CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000.

It's extremely well designed and built, and what I really like is the fact that the only openings are the intake on the bottom and the exhaust on the top. On top of that, the intake on the bottom has a mesh screen to catch dust and whatnot, so even after over a half a year of operation, the interior is still very clean. Overall, it's got a very high-tech airflow design that keeps things very cool and clean.

Eric

hrgiger
02-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I went with the HAF, I like all the venting and the nearly no screws casing. Once I get my tax refund next week, I'm going to start ordering my components.

hrgiger
02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Also just ordered the coolermaster UCP 700w power supply.

So, concerning the OS. Running 64 bit, how does that work (or not) with programs, or plug-ins, that aren't compiled for 64 bit. Am I going to have to buy a 32 bit OS also to dual boot?

RollerJesus
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey HR. I use Vista 64 bit. I installed Lightwave 64 bit and 32 bit with no dual boot. I haven't had any problem with plugins not working under the 32 bit install. 32 bit programs generally run fine but obviously won't utilize all the RAM available (~3GB of 8GB installed).

If you have any specific plugin concerns, I'd be happy to try them out for you.

oobievision
02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
http://cyberpowerpc.com great rigs and u can fully customize any of it

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 10:43 AM
So I was looking at CD/DVD drives, do I want a SATA drive or IDE?

RollerJesus
02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I use an IDE in my machine only because it was cheap. It works well but I hardly ever use it to be honest.

SATA would be a bit quicker on file transfers but would also take up one of the SATA plugs on the motherboard.

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, I just got my PSU in the mail today. It doesn't even mention IDE as one of the connectors (although it may fall under Peripheral x 5). It does list SATA x 6. What else other then my hard drive would take a SATA connector?

RollerJesus
02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
IDE is a data connection type and the PSU connection would be a generic 4 pin power connection. It would fall under the Peripheral x 5 category.

Nice power supply btw...

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I got the Coolermaster UCP700. It was expensive, but my last power supply was so bad, I felt this time I had to splurge a little in that area.

RollerJesus
02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Good idea, I've had 2 go but I haven't learned my lesson. PSU problems can be hard to track down too, you can get some weird behavior from bad power.

What other parts have you made decisions on?

hrgiger
02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I''m probably going to go with the i7 920 and an asus board (but could still use some advice in that area).

I got the coolermaster HAF case which is pretty nice. It's all fanned out and highly vented plus it's got room for liquid cooling as well as a fill port on top. The case requires no screws except to mount the MB.

Got a simple wireless mouse and keyboard, nothing special. I'm probably going to get a fairly inexpensive sound card, DVD/CD burner and speakers so that I can spend a little more on the video card and memory. Haven't made up my mind on the OS yet but it either be Vista or XP 64. My tax refund is coming tomorrow so I'll probably order the rest of the parts this weekend.

I'm trying to go nice on the important items while trying to save money on things that aren't as important that I can upgrade later if I want.

Haven't even looked at hard drives yet. Do the 10,000 rpm drives make that much of a difference over the 7200's? Should I be looking for something in particular when I look at drives. Sata? IDE? This is the first system I'm building myself.

RollerJesus
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Well, unless you want surround sound or plan on doing some sort of audio production, I'd just stick with onboard audio, introducing another sound card can really cause havok if you don't disable the onboard audio first (usually in BIOS).

I've never gone the liquid route, so I can't say much there aside from it looks like fun...

OS choice is going to be purely preferential at this point. Vista 64 has been great for me, but that not to say that people haven't had major problems with it, I just haven't seen it. It does, however take a little setup. You want to turn off User Account Control (UAC) immediately. It's annoying and is intended to protect only the most novice of novices. XP is well, XP...

I don't think you'll notice a big difference between IDE and SATA, but SATA is very easy to install (no jumpers, no calbe select, master/slave, etc), uses less wiring and is a bit faster on benchmarks.

I think you should get a 10K SATA if it's in your price range, otherwise a 7.2K SATA would be nice. You'll notice a difference when handling large pieces of data.

warrenwc
02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Definitely go SATA all the way IDE is on the way out.
I went with ASUS P6T deluxe but MaximumPC Mag(I TRUST) recommends MSI as the best i7 MB.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130215
I really don't think you'll notice the difference between the 10,000 & 7200 RPM drives unless your doing video & in that case, get ONE Velociraptor & dedicate it to the OS.

warrenwc
02-05-2009, 03:06 PM
sorry, I meant PATA was on the way out.:)

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Ok, just ordered more of my rig. Here's what I have so far.

Asus P6T-Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 Processor
Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 (1600Mhz) DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel Memory
CoolerMaster Haf 932 case
Coolermaster UCP 700w power supply

I got a inexpensive wireless mouse and keyboard. Also got a 500GB Barraduda Sata Hard drive. Trying to save money on some of the items which I can change later as money allows. Have a fairly standard CD/DVD Rom/Burner drive. Blue Rays still a little expensive.

Apparently, the motherboard makes it really easy to overclock the processor, from the video on Tigerdirect, you can do it all in the OS without rebooting. I'll add more memory later, again as money allows. The site also told me the on-board sound was pretty nice so I'll probably skip out on a sound card for now. Probably pick up a set of inexpensive speakers for now. Just taking the wireless network card out of my old machine and putting it in the new system.

Still have to get the OS and Video card. Before those, I'm up to around $1300.

Am I missing anything?

RollerJesus
02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
dvd burner?

hrgiger
02-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, it's in there. Just a simple DVD/CD burner.

warrenwc
02-07-2009, 08:38 AM
I just sent back TWO Barracuda 750s because they were not working (not detected at all).
Seagate's had a lot of trouble lately & if you have problems right off the bat, LOOK AT THE DRIVE.
Keep your reciept handy just in case.
I switched to a WD 1Tb:D
Good luck. When it all starts running the way you want it is HEAVEN.
& whatever happens BE CAREFUL when you seat the processor!!!!!!!
I borked one motherboard because I slipped & dropped the proc sideways from a height of less than 1/8 inch & bent the pins.
Above all Don't panic:)

hrgiger
02-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Ok, at least there's no pressure.:D

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Ok, I just ordered the GTX285OC video card and got Vista Ultimate 64. So that should be the essentials to get me up and running. Should have everything by the end of this week and will hopefully be using my new system by next weekend. Thank you for all the advice, much appreciated.

warrenwc
02-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Mine's online now (rendering in X64 as I type).
LOVE IT!:dance:

RollerJesus
02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Best of luck, don't forget to unplug it when working on it...

Larry_g1s
02-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Definitely go SATA all the way IDE is on the way out.
I went with ASUS P6T deluxe but MaximumPC Mag(I TRUST) recommends MSI as the best i7 MB.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130215
I really don't think you'll notice the difference between the 10,000 & 7200 RPM drives unless your doing video & in that case, get ONE Velociraptor & dedicate it to the OS.I would say newegg is great, as well as zipzoomfly.com. 64bit is the ONLY way to go. ;) With the extra RAM you will not regret it.

rwhunt99
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
There was no mention of a CPU cooler, hope you get a good one, keepin cool is a good way to go.

:thumbsup:

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
There was no mention of a CPU cooler, hope you get a good one, keepin cool is a good way to go.

:thumbsup:

Don't have one yet. The processor comes with a fan and from what I've read these proc do a pretty good job of staying cool but before I do any overclocking, I'm going to get a cooling system.

warrenwc
02-08-2009, 06:52 PM
with the stock Intel cooler & the 4 big fans in the HAF case, I really dont think it's a problem unless you intend to fry eggs on the proc.:D

hrgiger
02-08-2009, 07:10 PM
with the stock Intel cooler & the 4 big fans in the HAF case, I really dont think it's a problem unless you intend to fry eggs on the proc.:D

Why, is that a problem?

zapper1998
02-17-2009, 05:17 AM
did you get all you stuff from newegg ??

hrgiger
02-17-2009, 05:25 AM
No, mostly from tigerdirect (some of it ordered through amazon which then shipped from TD). Although, now I wish I would have gone to my local Microcenter, the had both my Mobo (Asus P6T Deluxe) and processor (i7 920) for both $70 cheaper.

mattclary
02-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Wish I would have seen this thread before now! Newegg is the best place to order parts!

I noticed you comparing LGA motherboards to ATX motherboards... LGA is the socket type, ATX is the form factor. In form factor you have such choices as ATX, BTX (about the only people who use these are Dell and other OEMs), and microATX.

Prior to i7, all the core2 processors were socket LGA775. 775 refers to the number of pins on the processor. The i7 is LGA1366 (1366 pins).

mattclary
02-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Don't have one yet. The processor comes with a fan and from what I've read these proc do a pretty good job of staying cool but before I do any overclocking, I'm going to get a cooling system.

You are correct, the stock heatsink and fan are fine for normal usage. Intel knows what their CPU needs to stay cool, so they package the right thing. Now, in my case, I really like a quiet machine, so I bought a Zalman cooler with a really big, slower turning fan.

Steve, I seriously would avoid overclocking your machine. One mis-step and you can toast something. If you buy special cooling devices to overclock with you could have just invested that money into a faster CPU.