PDA

View Full Version : Cobwebs?

IMI
02-01-2009, 03:44 AM
How would you go about making cobwebs in LW?
Static cobwebs that don't have to move, that is, not for animation.
My first inclination would be to make some curvy subpatch planes and transparency maps for them. Maybe that's the best way, but I don't know - there might be an easier and less time-consuming way? Hair, maybe?
I say not for animation, but thinking about it, it would be cool to be able to pin or parent the ends to objects, in case I want to move them and have the webs stretch a little or move with them.
I guess what I really want is some kind of dynamic cobwebs which I can go for a "photoreal" effect with, that can move if need be, although the render will be a still. But I guess if I had dynamic cobwebs it would be easier to move them around and still have them look good, as opposed to getting stretching from transparency mapped objects.
Doing some serious thinking out loud here...
Am open to suggestions. Thanks. :)

JeffrySG
02-01-2009, 10:31 AM
It might be easiest to use a simple square grid and UV map it with a photoreal image of some cobwebs (with a transparency mask). You could then distort the mesh to make it look like it's moving in the breeze a bit. I think this would let you get the most amount of fine detail with the least amount of modeling and animation work.

Celshader
02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
I guess what I really want is some kind of dynamic cobwebs which I can go for a "photoreal" effect with, that can move if need be, although the render will be a still. But I guess if I had dynamic cobwebs it would be easier to move them around and still have them look good, as opposed to getting stretching from transparency mapped objects.

For what it's worth, here's a quick cobweb of two-point polygons:

Create a Cone in Modeler. Leave all settings at default except for Axis (change to "Y") and Segments (Increase to "10").
Cut off the triangles at the tip of the cone.
Use Set Value to give all points a Y-value of 0, flattening the cone.
Bevel all polygons with a Shift of 0 and an Inset of 0.
Merge all points, collapsing the four-point polygons created during the Bevel stage into two-point polygons.
Use the Polygon Statistics panel to select all four-point polygons. Delete these four-point polygons, leaving the two-point polygons behind.
You now have the base geometry for a web of two-point polygons.

You can cut, Knife, Shear and Jitter this web in Modeler to style a static web. Or, you can apply displacements in Layout for an animated web that always maintains its line thickness.

nemac4
02-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Proton has a video with a spiderweb here: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Fiber_StrandMaker.mov

jasonwestmas
02-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Use FFX with 2point poly chains, Most Def!

thekho
02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Bevel all polygons with a Shift of 0 and an Inset of 0.
Merge all points, collapsing the four-point polygons created during the Bevel stage into two-point polygons.
Use the Polygon Statistics panel to select all four-point polygons. Delete these four-point polygons, leaving the two-point polygons behind.
You now have the base geometry for a web of two-point polygons.
[/list]

Or you don't need it cos you can use plugin is a called Truss:- http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1258 which it will have 2-point polygons!

IMI
02-03-2009, 01:36 AM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, guys! :thumbsup:
I think I might have to go with the transmap idea after all, though I'm definitely going to try these other ideas. Spider webs are one thing - rather detailed and clean even when broken, but I need to do an image of an old abandoned antique store interior with those thick, horror movie type dust-covered old cobwebs you see. Quite a different thing from spider webs for the most part.

thekho, unfortunately that plugin is 32 bit, but thanks anyway. :)

dlanimation
08-29-2010, 05:06 AM
i got decent looking cobwebs on a simple mesh using jet trails clouds applied to the transparency layer..
see attachment for settings.
good luck
dl

Nangleator
09-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Cloth effects on those simple meshes would look amazing in an animation.