PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Prod Designer hopes Kungfu Panda wins Oscar

CGI Addict
01-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Lou Romano, Pixar production designer had this to say about Kungfu Panda:

I hope Kung Fu Pandasweeps this year’s Annies and Oscars. I found it more entertaining than WALL-Eand in terms of design, it is hands down the boldest looking animated feature released this year, period. WALL-Eis impressive but the Kung Fu design is truly inspired. Surely the best looking movie to come out of Dreamworks. I hope it at least sweeps in the design categories. In this case, I think Pixar can take a lesson from Dreamworks. Kung Fu Pandais a great CG “cartoon”, with design that is caricatured, appealing and not limited by photo-realism. Kudos to the Pandacrew. Having worked on Incredibles, I know that trying something different can be a huge challenge. I don’t know how you guys did it. But you raised the bar.

I'm not sure how Pixar execs will see this. Not to kindly I suspect.

Catch article here:

http://thepixartouch.typepad.com/main/2009/01/the-incredibles-art-director-on-kung-fu-panda.html

JeffrySG
02-01-2009, 07:25 AM
I think being honest can in the end help a studio to surpass itself. I'm not sure how upper management would view this but I would hope that a place like PIXAR would be one place where they would be more interested in perusing making the best films and not worry as much about statements like this. But who really knows. Interesting either way.

I really liked both films. Both had a very different feel. In the end I still feel that the PIXAR films have a higher end film value than the Dreamworks films, but I also feel that is slowly closing lately.

Tonttu
02-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Do you think photorealism is adding anything valuable to films like this or on the contrary distracting the eye? If you look at the acting and the expressions, how interesting and lively would you consider it?
Look at these faces:
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6903/kungfupanda2largetm4.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kungfupanda2largetm4.jpg)
Compare: http://www.viceland.com/int/v12n7/htdocs/the_vice.php

CGI Addict
02-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I like a good film (story) period. I don't care who makes it. I am a fan of Pixar and like some of what Dreamworks' does. With regard to "KungFu Panda" and "WALL•E", I'm giving the nod to KungFu Panda.

I really enjoyed this film. I also enjoyed the other, but it seemed kinda dreary. Technically speaking their both equal. Cinematically their tied. Story wise it's also a tie. What breaks the tie for me is how entertaining they were.

Dexter2999
02-01-2009, 01:39 PM
KUNG FU PANDA wins in my book for style, and characters. I remember when this movie came out some were unhappy with where they deemed that corners were cut. I chalked it up style. I remember one complaint in particular was about background texture maps running. I have the DVD have watched it 4 or 5 times and haven't see that yet.

WALL E I think wins on a Cinematic level for the epic scope of the earth in ruins. It was a really cool movie to watch. I own it on DVD as well. I have rewatched it once.

OH, and I forgot to add. I think the "edge" of having a movie with the focus on a machine that doesn't speak was very interesting, but hurts it when pitted against a movie with good voice performances...and KUG FU PANDA had some pretty good performances.

Andyjaggy
02-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes I much preferred Kung Fu Panda. Wall-E was probably my least favorite Pixar movie today, with the exception of Bugs Life.

adamredwoods
02-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Wall-E told a story with very little spoken dialogue. To me, that is great filmmaking.

(Kung Fu Panda was awesome, but as an entertainment piece.)

cresshead
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM
kung fu panda was okay, not a great story...had some good lines in there and a decent amount of action though i really didn't like some of the character designs...the main characters were great but some were abit yukky to look at such as the tiger and the monkey...the baddy was too muscley also...overdone.

walle was good but for me doesn't have much of a re watch value so not on my dvd shelf..

they're BOTH going to have to try harder to surpass incredibles imo...they're hitting a '3' where as incredibles hits a 10.

dragon hunters hits a 6 or 7 btw

Dexter2999
02-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes I much preferred Kung Fu Panda. Wall-E was probably my least favorite Pixar movie today, with the exception of Bugs Life.

Really? I keep getting stunned that so many people liked CARS. I felt it was so weak. Especially coming off something so good as INCREDIBLES. I think it was someone on this forum that pointed out that the story was basically just DOC HOLLYWOOD done with cars.

lwanmtr
02-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I guess I should see Wall-E, huh? hehe.

Scazzino
02-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I loved them both!

They are very different of course. I loved WallE for its good storytelling without relying on dialog, which is very difficult to do. I also loved its realistic look. I loved the expressiveness of the characters in Kung Fu Panda and the humor. I also loved the martial arts theme of Kung Fu Panda, but I'm probably somewhat biased toward that since I just received my black belt in Matsubayashi Karate Do yesterday... ;)

Titus
02-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Wall-E is IMO more a film than an animated movie, and Panda is on the top of my favorites.

kevman3d
02-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Ditto on the comments so far. I only just watched WALL-E on DVD (I never bothered with it in the cinema - My wife picked up the DVD when she did some shopping - Not really a re-watchable one, so it'll probably sit on the shelf collecting dust)

Compared to Kung-fu Panda, I didn't find it anywhere as entertaining. I dunno - It was kinda a mix of being over-busy graphically for my taste, and the story wasn't overly compelling. Kinda boring, and reminded me of how dreary I found 'Finding Nemo' as well... No depth to it.

KungFu Panda imho is cool, stylised and humourous. It's fun to watch, and looks slick to boot. Its definite entertainment material...

Dirk
02-02-2009, 03:09 AM
"Kung Fu Pandais a great CG “cartoon”, with design that is caricatured, appealing and not limited by photo-realism."

This is the important part to me, Character Design begins to feel pretty limited. I know that big ad agencies move away from 3D character animation because they feel it doesn't look special anymore.

akademus
02-02-2009, 03:14 AM
I've had a chance hearing some of the greatest Pixar names like Bobby Becks and Victor Navone praising Kung Fu Panda.

Don't think it's a negative attitude at all. After all, movies are not made to win Oscars but to tell a story.

dnch
02-02-2009, 03:20 AM
kungfu panda is fun, but wall-e is movie with big M

Skonk
02-02-2009, 03:29 AM
I also liked both but I definatly prefered Panda.

Overall I just found it more entertaining and had be "ROFL"ing more than Wall-E, and I put a lot of that down to not just the funny dialogue but also the facial expressions (Po in particular) and very well put together Kung Fu.

I watched it again the other night on BluRay with the visual commetary by the 2 directors; very interesting to see how they used Jack Black's very emotive facial expressions as a guide for Po's and how all the Kung Fu scenes were choreographed by an actual martial artist to make sure they were realistic (thought very much exaggerated).

While they did a great job in getting the emotion in the ficial expressions in Wall-E, it's robotic nature just cant capture it as well as Kung Fu Panda did with it's more human looking characters.

Obviously thats not really a fault of Wall-E since it's just a difference in subject matter.

Kuzey
02-02-2009, 05:58 AM
I haven't seen either, the female robot put me off watching Wall-e and the panda thingy looks crap...again, that's just me :D

Anyway, here's a post on Pixar's blog:

http://pixarblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/shocker-wall-e-snubbed-at-annie-awards.html

Kuzey

Mike_RB
02-02-2009, 07:19 AM
I liked both. I liked Wall-E more, and I thought it was brilliant how much stroy they could tell through acting alone.

I honestly would like to watch a whole film done in the style of the start of kung-fu panda, the 2d style was great!

JeffrySG
02-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Really? I keep getting stunned that so many people liked CARS. I felt it was so weak. Especially coming off something so good as INCREDIBLES. I think it was someone on this forum that pointed out that the story was basically just DOC HOLLYWOOD done with cars.

I always thought the exactly same thing!

:agree:

Andyjaggy
02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Yes it was impressive how much Pixar was able to get you to care about a robot, how they could tell a 'love story' with almost no dialogue. What I mean I guess is that I don't see myself wanting to watch it much, once a year maybe, whereas Kung Fu Panda is almost a weekly event. Whether that makes it a better movie or not is probably meaningless, but it sure does mean I enjoy it more. I'll leave the "what is a better piece of cinema" to the more educated and interested people. I just like to be entertained.

And yes Incredibles is by far my favorite Pixar movie.

CGI Addict
02-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Getting back to my original reason for starting this thread, I can't help but feel that Lasseter & Co. takes note of such comings and goings. Not necessarily for doling out employee points, but I do recall when that Jan Pinkava was replaced by Brad Bird as director for Ratatouille, he didn't take to kindly to it.

After being handed new responsibilities he wound up leaving not long after.

It seems as though Lasseter likes tight control of not only his films but who is involved in making them. I'll be interested in seeing how these three Pixar employees are handled with after their remarks.

I like Pixar and what it stands for but can't help but feel a little bit of Steve Jobs management style might have rubbed off a bit.

calilifestyle
02-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah..um i really didn't like this movie. i felt it was weak sauce. i rather go watch Beverly hills ninja. it Felt like the same movie. just different fat men.

Alkaline
02-03-2009, 12:28 AM
I've had a chance hearing some of the greatest Pixar names like Bobby Becks and Victor Navone praising Kung Fu Panda.

Don't think it's a negative attitude at all. After all, movies are not made to win Oscars but to tell a story.

Navone's still with Pixar? I remember when he first got the job..

Anyway,
I can't blame Pixar for wanting Kung Fu Panda to win an Oscar. The movie was simply awesome.

jin choung
02-03-2009, 02:28 AM
i looooooooooved wall-e.

but i think kfp is the better movie. wall-e had some weak parts when we get on board the ship.... but the whole geek in love thing covers over many sins. still don't like the fact they used live action (although the my fair lady clips were fine).

between the two, only kfp had me picking my jaw up off the floor. that bridge sequence was fing unbelievable. that transformation from bad guy to child version in mid attack was pitch perfect. oh and don't get me started with the opening credits! WOW! they had me at "awesomeness". also thought james wong as the dad bird was hilarious... every time he nodded his goofy head and said "aha!" i was in stitches.

jin

Dexter2999
02-03-2009, 02:34 AM
The MY FAIR LADY parts are what locked them into the other live action according to the commentary. I disliked the live action stuff as well. I especially disliked the live action to toon morph series of portraits of former captains, but I understand it was the mechanism to translate from the live action to human characters on the ship.

BeeVee
02-03-2009, 02:38 AM
It was Hello Dolly that Wall-e was watching. I think that as entertainment Kung Fu Panda wins for me too, but it's a very close run thing. Jack Black saying "his awesomeness was awesome" during the dream sequence makes me laugh every time.

B

Dexter2999
02-03-2009, 02:57 AM
BeeVee thank you for the correction.

And yet I feel no shame in getting a reference to a musical wrong.

It's not my bag, baby.

akademus
02-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Navone's still with Pixar? I remember when he first got the job..

Yeah, tha Alien Song! 1999 I believe...

-EsHrA-
02-03-2009, 04:37 AM
wall-e hands down.
i think i didnt even finish panda.

mlon

jin choung
02-03-2009, 09:18 PM
BeeVee thank you for the correction.

And yet I feel no shame in getting a reference to a musical wrong.

It's not my bag, baby.

lol... just before i read your response i was literally thinking the exact same thing.

jin

Shuggs
02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda yet so I can't put fair judgement down, but I will say that WALL-E blew me away. For a movie that had very little dialogue I understood every feeling, emotion, emphasis, etc. in that movie. It was superb and very well animated. When I finally see Kung Fu Panda I'll have to come back to this.

Alkaline
02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda yet so I can't put fair judgement down, but I will say that WALL-E blew me away. For a movie that had very little dialogue I understood every feeling, emotion, emphasis, etc. in that movie. It was superb and very well animated. When I finally see Kung Fu Panda I'll have to come back to this.

I highly recommend watching Kung Fu Panda. It's so well made. You don't have to enjoy the story or dialogue, but the skill and talent that is shown is amazing.

Andyjaggy
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
WallE to me is almost like 2 different movies. When he is on the planet and when he is on the ship. I like the first but the second didn't do it for me.

The addition of live action was also really odd imo.