PDA

View Full Version : What is the combination to use displacement nodes on an .MDD'd object?

Carm3D
01-31-2009, 04:52 PM
I have a character modified with ClothFX (in places) and I wanted to use displacement mapping on top of that. Playing with the options (Subdivision Order, Node Displacement Order), I cannot find the magic combination to get them both working at the same time. I can only have one or the other. Is there a way to make this work?

evenflcw
01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't think there is a magic combination. LWs FX deformers usually override everything else. So you'll have to record the clothfx to MDD and use DPonts MDD Pointer node to combine it with the displacements.

Dunno, but maybe one of Cagemans many tutorials on similar subjects can provide some clues?
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83693&highlight=mdd

Carm3D
01-31-2009, 06:05 PM
So this means if I ever want to use displacements.. I cannot use ClothFX.. Nor can I animate in another program such as XSI and bring over the .MDD file. This is lame beyond compare.

Celshader
01-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Nor can I animate in another program such as XSI and bring over the .MDD file. This is lame beyond compare.

Why not?

At the studio where I work, we're mixing MDD files exported out of messiah:studio with ZBrush geometry displacements in LightWave 9.3.1. We use Node Displacement for the MDD information, and Bump Displacement for the ZBrush information. The main SubD order's set to "After Bones." The Node Displacement's ordered "Before Bones," and the Bump Displacement's set to happen last. It works fine.

Carm3D
01-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks Jen! I am trying your suggestion now. When you say "bump displacement" do you mean the "Use Bump" button below the displacement options? I don't see an option for "Last" there.

Carm3D
01-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Ah cool.. I got it working! Thanks! How do you deal with the issue of ZBrush's grey = undisplaced while Lightwave treats black as undisplaced?

Celshader
01-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Ah cool.. I got it working! Thanks! How do you deal with the issue of ZBrush's grey = undisplaced while Lightwave treats black as undisplaced?

In the Node Editor under Surface settings, subtract 0.5 from the map. Here's how:

Add a Subtract node (Math>Scalar>Subtract)
Plug the ZBrush displacement map into "A" on the Subtract node
Set the value of "B" to 0.5
Plug the results into "Displacement" on the Surface node.

This way, 0.5 becomes 0 (undisplaced), 0 becomes -0.5 (pushed in), and 1 becomes 0.5 (puffed out).

Carm3D
01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Ah of course.. I did my mapping in the old standard surface editor. Nodes WOULD afford such flexibility.

Celshader
01-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Ah of course.. I did my mapping in the old standard surface editor. Nodes WOULD afford such flexibility.

Hm...I'm wondering if this would work in the old standard layer system:

Add a procedural Texture layer
Set the procedural texture to "Value"
Set the Value to -0.5
Set the layer to "Additive," so that it "adds" -0.5 to the layer below it.

We're using Nodes at work for ZBrush displacements, though. They allow artists to independently texture Bump and Displacement.