PDA

View Full Version : Real Flow Questions...

lwanmtr
01-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Ok, I've been getting into fluids using Real Flow and had a few questions..

First, is there a resource or something that has some basic settings for different fluid types (water, oil, sludge, slime, etc..)? I searched through Nextlimit's site and links, but couldnt find any sort of reference like that.

Next...When using HV, is ther any way to kill the blobbiness? For instance, if I have a fluid running down a surface, I want it to look like its running, rather than a bobby mass..hehe. I can use the Real Flow Mesh sequence, but it doesnt update in the timeline until you render.

(Hopefully LW10 will have a better HV system that can do flattening and conforming)

Does anyone else notice that in order to get interaction of small emmitters with objects that you have to rescale the objects in RF? sizing an emitter in RF to say .01 really slows down the computation..also when generating mesh sequences, the difference in the small size increments is too much.

Has anyone brought an animated character/scene into RF? I havent tried it yet and was wondering how well it worked.

Thanx.

Titus
01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
First, is there a resource or something that has some basic settings for different fluid types (water, oil, sludge, slime, etc..)? I searched through Nextlimit's site and links, but couldnt find any sort of reference like that.

That's one of the features of RF, you have to experiment a lot before you get what you want.

lwanmtr
01-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah..been doing that..but you'd think they give you some starting points at least.

Bookman
01-31-2009, 04:51 PM
A freind of mine at work had let me borrow some tutorials in RF recently and Titus is right from what I've seen, even the guys in the videos had to do a lot of tweaking before they had what they wanted.

Mr Rid
01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Ok, I've been getting into fluids using Real Flow and had a few questions..

First, is there a resource or something that has some basic settings for different fluid types (water, oil, sludge, slime, etc..)?

There are no presets since it is very scale dependent. Just experiment with a simple scene. Vary viscosity, and the mesh filter, radius and speed stretch. But you'll get more answers on the RealFlow forum.

Surprisingly, RF doesnt really do realistic water, but rather something water-like. RF is very organic in that no two sims are ever quite the same, and requires experimenting.

Next...When using HV, is ther any way to kill the blobbiness?

Nope. There needs to be a Distance Between Particle gradient for the scale and blend in HVs. The data seems to already be present, NT has just never got it going.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/ietmqz76vh.mov

For instance, if I have a fluid running down a surface, I want it to look like its running, rather than a bobby mass..hehe. I can use the Real Flow Mesh sequence, but it doesnt update in the timeline until you render.

You just want everything, dont ya. :) Only meshes will give you something like flowing liquid, or RF RenderKit... oop, no support there for LW (RenderKit was used for water FX on Benjamin Button). I usually save out the particles with each sim and use those in LW to scrub a preview. Turn up 'sticky' for liquid running down the side of a cup type thing. Works the same with LW's 'stick'- particles dont 'stick' in place ,but rather slide freely along the surface.

(Hopefully LW10 will have a better HV system that can do flattening and conforming)

uh... doubt it.

Does anyone else notice that in order to get interaction of small emmitters with objects that you have to rescale the objects in RF? sizing an emitter in RF to say .01 really slows down the computation..also when generating mesh sequences, the difference in the small size increments is too much.

RF works best in a medium, bucket or table scale range. The tools are very scale dependent and by default do not work well at small glass size or large room-filled. You should scale the scene accordingly.

Has anyone brought an animated character/scene into RF? I havent tried it yet and was wondering how well it worked.

Thanx.
Always worked fine for me. You are just pre-baking your scene kinda like an MDD, and loading into RF.

BTW, a recent RF mesh render in LW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8TGDXVLDng (click on 'watch in HD')

lwanmtr
01-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah for the scale, I just scale up objects to a usable level in RF, then scale down the RF stuff in LW

Not really talking about presets, but just some guides like basic viscosity settings and such...

The RF manual is awful...I like the tutorials, but theres no chapters that explain what all the settings are..like tempurature on an object, etc..

Ahh well, it's interesting..now if only it were 64bit on mac, I wouldnt have to wait so long for sims...hehe.

Sekhar
01-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Nope. There needs to be a Distance Between Particle gradient for the scale and blend in HVs. The data seems to already be present, NT has just never got it going.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/ietmqz76vh.mov

Great comparison. Would HvDeform help? I tried it a bit and it seems to flatten the blobs some...

lwanmtr
01-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Havent tried that...might look into it

Mr Rid
01-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Great comparison. Would HvDeform help? I tried it a bit and it seems to flatten the blobs some...

Dont bother. Awful interface, and essentially doesnt work in any practical animation. I saw someone use to flatten drops on the outside of a soda can but was for a still render only.

Mr Rid
01-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Not really talking about presets, but just some guides like basic viscosity settings and such...

Presets-
http://www2.nextlimit.com/rflabs/?p=25

There is also a Lightwave specific RF forum.

lwanmtr
01-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanx..Musta missed that page

Mr Rid
02-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanx..Musta missed that page

Its kinda hidden.

lwanmtr
02-01-2009, 12:24 AM
like alot of it..hehe

Mr Rid
02-02-2009, 12:36 AM
like alot of it..hehe

I see that almost every website is too convoluted. I dont know why it seems no one can design information-oriented sites to be more straightforward. Nextlimit/RealFlow has 3 different urls and sites that I can find!?

lwanmtr
02-02-2009, 12:58 AM
I like the way NT has the training videos...Nextlimit/Realflow sites dont seem to follow a convention...and yeah multiple urls

Carm3D
12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Does RealFlow support .MDD files? I am experimenting with the CGW trial edition. I am wondering if I can get my lightwave objects to move about and have the realflow particles interact with them.

Thanks!

Mr Rid
12-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Thats what the NextLimit SD Manager plug in is for in the Layout's Master Plugins. You can easily select any items to scan as an SD to import into RF.