PDA

View Full Version : F10 beats the pants off SN...thoughts?

Johnny
01-31-2009, 02:48 PM
I am developing a scene and experimenting to find THE fastest test render possible...I'm doing things like lowering the AA setting, rendering at 50% the pixel size of the final movie, etc..

Naturally, I thought that SN would be Twice as fast, or nearly twice as fast as just hitting F10.

I was wrong...

at a larger frame size, SN was negligibly faster. at 50% the frame size, F10 spanked Screamernet silly, being about twice as fast. I've noticed that my host node turns in per-frame times about 3 or 4 times faster than the "slave" node.

then it makes me think about my "Serious" full-size, full resolution, full quality renders..

I have never wanted to take the time to put a "serious" render to this test I described above.

I am assuming that, when rendering a frame that takes 14 minutes or so, whatever overhead the slave node sees going across ethernet becomes inconsequential; per-frame times are often within seconds of one another..

But I've never tried such a sequence using F10 and seeing what time THAT does it in.

anyone have any thoughts, or actual data dealing with this very question?

granted, my macs are obsolete G4s...maybe it's a different ball game with MacinTel?

thanks!

J

Chilton
01-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Johnny,

Just to verify this, are you using the 9.6 UB in the tests you've performed?

And would you mind sharing the scenes this is happening with? If so, please send them to [email protected] and I'll take a look ASAP.

Thanks!
-Chilton