PDA

View Full Version : Monitor advice

The Tin Man
08-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone was using the Lacie Monitors. Specifically the 19” Electron Blue.

I had originally thought of going with two 17” Apple LCDs (Mac System), but with working with 3d animation and possible video I was concerned about colour accuracy of LCDs.

So I had heard Lacie Monitors were very good and would look to put two 19” monitors on a Mac system and use the Pantone Spyder as the calibration device.

So anybody any advice on any of the above items. Whether Lacie are really good and what about the hood attachment? gimmick or useful? Of course CRTs are also easier to hook up to PCs if the need arises :-)

Thanks for any advice.

Beamtracer
08-12-2003, 04:12 PM
You can get adaptors to connect a monitor to a different type of socket, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern to you.

I haven't use LaCie monitors. LCDs can give a pleasing look, but CRTs are generally regarded as being more accurate. CRTs also refresh faster for video.

For video work a computer monitor (either LCD or CRT) will not show you accurate colors anyway, as computer screens are different to television sets or video monitors.

Therefore another altervative would be to model and work on an LCD screen but also have a video screen for checking your video output. You may need an extra video card to do this.

crp3d
08-12-2003, 06:27 PM
I have 2 lacie 19" electron 111 monitors and have been very pleased with them for the last 1.5 yrs. I don't use the hoods on them as I have them side by side on the same computer. Color accuracy is good when the monitors are calibrated. The previous poster is correct however about the not being accurate for video work so whether you get lacie's or an apple cinema display you should think about getting a NTSC studio diplay to preview your work ( Sony 14" NTSC monitor is less than $500.00).

By the way the Apple 20" or 23" lcd's are a pleasure to use with any NLE and Lightwave. They can also be used with PC's with and adapter as long as your video card supports the monitors native resolutions and scan rate.

anieves
08-12-2003, 06:49 PM
since I don't have the immediate need for a NTSC monitor I just output to my digicam via imovie and plug it to my 36 in. TV whenever I need to test something... not elegant at all but cheap!:D

The Tin Man
08-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks

I think I meant to say that with a calibrator CRT monitors generally be more accurate colour wise when doing things in Photoshop, painter and lightwave.

The Lacie monitors generally seem to get very good reviews, as do Apples, but Apple have a higher price and unless you buy hardware off them as well, you cannot get any warranties after the first year. Lacies I believe have a 3 year warranty.

As for the RGB monitor (PAL as I live in the UK), this was something I had considered later, and you quite rightly pointed out would be more accurate for video. I believe something like the Miglia Directors Cut and possibly the Formac Studio (?) can output to a RGB Monitor, and therfore would need no extra card?

Generally monitors have progressed and is a balance between cost, colour accuracy, heat and power consumption for me.

Thanks again

WilliamVaughan
08-13-2003, 01:26 PM
CRT is the way to go IMHO

anieves
08-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by proton
CRT is the way to go IMHO

Yep, you can get alot of realstate for the cash. I just love my 21in. Sony :D

would like to add another one by Christmas.;)

GruvSyco
08-13-2003, 09:31 PM
My LCD display looks just as good to me as my CRT did. I actually gave up dual 19" CRT's for a single 21" LCD. No looking back, no regrets. I have less headaches now and, I can look at the display longer.

I actually have mine hooked up with a tuner and have started using it as a TV too. For stuff like that, I can't really see any issues with refreshes but, I do notice it a little when I'm rotating stuff in Modeller. Not really enough to make me want to go back and, my video card has composite out on it so, if needed I can hook it up to a TV.

Hervι
08-14-2003, 12:48 AM
have a22 electron blue..... great buy !!

a little difficult to tune up without their special hardware stuff though....