PDA

View Full Version : Particle Illusion?

starbase1
01-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Anyone here using Particle Illusion?

The SE version looks very good value, and fun, but I'm really not clear on why the extras for the full one push the price up so much higher.

I'd really value comments from those who have used it for a while...

Nick

JeffrySG
01-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Here's a breakdown of the differences:

http://www.wondertouch.com/product_compare2.asp

BlueApple
01-31-2009, 07:19 AM
You could probably get away with using SE, but you are eventually going to be in a situation where you say "I wish Particle Illusion could do X." That is when you'll be irritated you didn't pony up the extra $300 for the full version. If you get SE there is an upgrade path to the full version, so you may want to start with the $99 application and upgrade if necessary.

Does anyone know if the pIllusion AE plugin for AfterEffects was ever released? Wondertouch sells something for Apple Motion on their site, but I see nothing for AE. I think there was an announcement for the AE plugin in 2006, but I haven't seen the actual plugin released yet. It'd be nice to use the ParticleIllusion tools within AfterEffects instead of adding another step in the whole process.

AbnRanger
01-31-2009, 08:06 AM
You could probably get away with using SE, but you are eventually going to be in a situation where you say "I wish Particle Illusion could do X." That is when you'll be irritated you didn't pony up the extra $300 for the full version. If you get SE there is an upgrade path to the full version, so you may want to start with the $99 application and upgrade if necessary.

Does anyone know if the pIllusion AE plugin for AfterEffects was ever released? Wondertouch sells something for Apple Motion on their site, but I see nothing for AE. I think there was an announcement for the AE plugin in 2006, but I haven't seen the actual plugin released yet. It'd be nice to use the ParticleIllusion tools within AfterEffects instead of adding another step in the whole process.I use Combustion and it has Particle Illusinon SE built in, and for most tasks it's fantastic...but Trapcode Particular for AE is superior in that it is a true 3d particle system/plugin. So, if you use AE, that would be the way to go, no doubt.

BlueApple
01-31-2009, 12:14 PM
AbnRanger: Great advice, I will check it out. Thanks.

-Adam

starbase1
01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I think the advice about buying the light version, and bearing in mind the upgrade options is a good plan, thanks!

Paul24
01-31-2009, 03:10 PM
I think the advice about buying the light version, and bearing in mind the upgrade options is a good plan, thanks!

It's what I did last year and I don't regret it at all.

Tom Wood
01-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I use the full version of PI because there was a feature that I wanted. But it's been so long now that I've forgotten what it was. Access to the expanded emitter library is probably worth it alone if you aren't adept at building your own emitters. The support forum is at Creative Cow, and the software developers are right there to help.

It's a great program. Three years ago you had to have what was then a robust video card to run the Pro emitters. If you have a strong video card today it's probably up to the job. The Pro emitters make a lot of use of the GPU since the emitters emit more emitters as part of the effect - like fireworks that create a burst and then each spot of fire bursts again.

AbnRanger
01-31-2009, 07:55 PM
The SE still has a massive library to choose from. If you find you can't get the look you're after, you might look into upgrading, but again...if you have access to After Effects, I would get a seat of Trapcode Particular (as well as Shine and 3D Stroke). It's about as good as it gets on the post-effects side.

starbase1
02-01-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't have after effects...

richcz3
02-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I use the full version. Worth every cent. Amazing free libraries are always updated :thumbsup: Alpha channel in AE can be an issue at times - but is easily worked around.

iluxa
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
have LW exporter for PI?
i have to C4d, maya, fusion...

starbase1
02-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback, I'm starting with the lite version, and have bought it. I'll see how I get on with that before I think about upgrading.