PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Autodesk

LightSaber101
01-31-2009, 03:57 AM
Dear Friends,

While I am a game designer by trade, I have to keep abreast of the latest trends in game artwork as well. But I am by no means an expert when it comes to game artwork!

One of the challenges facing game dev studios is the high costs of licensing 3d artwork software. Lightwave offers a pleasant alternative to developing 3d models for one's games, at the very least.

My question for the aratarati here is if I can use Lightwave to make animation work and then export the animation in some usable format to an Autotesk format(ie, Maya/Max/XSI), or even to Blender?

Thanks,
Lighsaber101

akademus
01-31-2009, 04:16 AM
The most straight forward way for transferring animation or any other sort of object (model) deforming would be via .mdd format which is essentially baked vertex movement. The best solution is PointOven and very affordable too!

cresshead
01-31-2009, 04:58 AM
use FBX export and import that to 3dsmax or maya, it supports animation from bones, cameras, texturing...everyting you need really and cost 'nothing'.

steve g

jaxtone
01-31-2009, 05:51 AM
Ok! But does it work 100% in both directions?

use FBX export and import that to 3dsmax or maya, it supports animation from bones, cameras, texturing...everyting you need really and cost 'nothing'.

steve g

akademus
01-31-2009, 06:03 AM
Dare! As it would lead to rigging issues. Yes, you'll got bones but will model deform properly? I still think baking is the safest and hassle free method.

UnCommonGrafx
01-31-2009, 06:36 AM
FBX offers tweakability on both sides of the fence, as it were. Some would suggest that this route offers the most possibilties for being able to work your pipeline right through to the end.

This mdd stuff is getting pretty amazing; it is to the author of this format that it is becoming so universal. Should bones ever come along in the tranfer of data (or the data via nulls), this, without a doubt would be the best of them all: no bones so your scene is fast but pop in bones when tweaking is needed.

Collada seems to be a choice as well.

Reviews are nice but you are gonna need to get your hands dirty. ;) Try the different methodologies. People have used all of these formats for one reason or other. You gotta try to figure out your reasons...

The pointoven/mdd route was done at a similiar point in someone else's research of this topic. ;) That should help, huh? ;)

SplineGod
01-31-2009, 07:25 AM
One thing I like about animating with IKBoost in LW is that the animation is put straight onto bones instead of goals etc. Exporting
IK driven animation as fbx becomes much more problematic.
Since the animation data is one just the bones it becomes much easier to export the basic bone data in FBX. C4D can also load the bone animation directly.
Ive also been able to import a rig that was exported from blender using Fbx. The animation even came in fine. I was able to throw IKB on the rig in LW and start modifying the imported animation.

jaxtone
02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Any news of the PLK plugin for Vista 64 bit?

One thing I like about animating with IKBoost in LW is that the animation is put straight onto bones instead of goals etc. Exporting
IK driven animation as fbx becomes much more problematic.
Since the animation data is one just the bones it becomes much easier to export the basic bone data in FBX. C4D can also load the bone animation directly.
Ive also been able to import a rig that was exported from blender using Fbx. The animation even came in fine. I was able to throw IKB on the rig in LW and start modifying the imported animation.

jem-P8
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
thing to remeber with Max data, si the scaling and the backwards xyz cordinates, along with it no being able to read anything over a three point polygon.
I dont work in games but i work with alot of artist in other platforms, and FBX data doest always come across one-to-one, somethimes the speed is different, or the size of everything is huge.
I learned to work to scale many years ago, and always stick to that.
I have wroked in games studios as well, and i have never udnerstood why they are hardcore about using max, they programmers always say to add more tools, but the tools they add many times are redundent, and slow max to a crawl many times.
Since games are really about bring models into a game world, i would think Lightwave and Modo would be the more logical choices. Since they are object centric.
Also because of the gimpy max issues programmers are always having to come up with code to correct the scaleing and xyz issues of max.
the .mdd function is pretty great, we used it on the Jimmy Neutron series, using Maya and Lightwave, pretty smooth once we iron out the kinks. and yes animation can be added over the top of the mdd deformed object as well.

Chrizto
02-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Use the free FBX converter from Autodesk. It works good.