PDA

View Full Version : HV problems in 9.6

Sekhar
01-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm seeing a couple of problems with HV on 9.6 (64 bit on Vista):

HV on null is not casting shadow when used with spotlight and shadow map (ray trace OK)
Disabling the null in scene editor still renders the HV

Could someone confirm these two (or tell me what I'm doing wrong)? I'll fog them.

WCameron
01-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Hmm, very weird. It wasnt rendering a shadow at first, so i tried a few other lights, loaded in some IES, then tried some of DP's plugins, then finaly reset it as a spotlight and it was working again.

Very Very weird....

EDIT: my mistake, it reset it to RayTrace when i switched back and forth and i didnt notice.....

- Will.

Bookman
01-31-2009, 04:42 PM
if you need a spotlight with soft shadows, easiest way is to just slightly change the direction of the spot on the next frame and in the Graph Editor set the motion to repeat. render it with motion blur and whalla soft shadows (workes on all kinds of lights).

I personally hate the look of shadow maps, the soft shadows on them never look right because of the softness is not on a falloff from the source. I only use them sparingly.

Sekhar
01-31-2009, 05:48 PM
I personally hate the look of shadow maps, the soft shadows on them never look right because of the softness is not on a falloff from the source. I only use them sparingly.

Yeah, but they're really fast and pretty close.

kevman3d
02-01-2009, 03:04 AM
I would say that its because HV's are raytraced to begin with, and ShadowMaps require geometry to create them... That means you need to Raytrace your shadows when it comes to using them with HV's...

If you need soft shadows - area lights, linear lights and spherical lights work properly (giving true soft shadows) - Only downside is that they tend to be a lot slower then the others since there's more rays required to generate the soft shadows. But I guess that's as you already said...

However, if you set their light quality (on the lights properties panel) to 2 (1 will be faster, but much grainier) and make sure you set up some AA (I often use just Adaptive Sampling w/ Perspective camera and a threshold of 0.03) then I've had scenes render extremely quickly (and look really nice to boot). Try AA with a light quality of 1 as well... Its not 'too' bad.

Just my 2c on this one. Good luck. :)

adamredwoods
02-02-2009, 11:01 AM
However, if you set their light quality (on the lights properties panel) to 2 (1 will be faster, but much grainier) and make sure you set up some AA (I often use just Adaptive Sampling w/ Perspective camera and a threshold of 0.03) then I've had scenes render extremely quickly (and look really nice to boot). Try AA with a light quality of 1 as well... Its not 'too' bad.

I usually light scenes with area lights this way. Additionally, there is a checkbox in LW 9.6 (9.5?) that allows for one-sided area lights.

I do wish spotlights had a nice raycast spread. Could I do this with IES lights?

kevman3d
02-04-2009, 03:47 AM
I do wish spotlights had a nice raycast spread. Could I do this with IES lights?

Yes... Or you could just download these very cool free-bees!
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/lights/Additional_Lights.html

Note that the spotlight (its called DP_Flood) has raytraced soft shadows... :thumbsup: