PDA

View Full Version : Best way to model tree hugging vines?

gareee
01-30-2009, 05:19 PM
I've seen some pretty cool snapping tools on modelers like silo2.. is there any easier way to model something like vines wrapped around a tree in lightwave?

Something that would hug the barrel of the tree, as it wraps around and up it.

Only thing I can think of is maybe do it with a displacement map in zbrush, but I'd prefer to have new geometry for it, rather then just displaced effects.

Pardon the pun, but this has me.....(wait for it)....

stumped.

RebelHill
01-30-2009, 05:33 PM
in lW itself... dunno, probs a few ways... but id go with this... http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

gareee
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Only problem with ivy generator, is that it creates ungodly high polycount stuff.

Plus it does it's own "thing", and I know where I want the vines growing, splitting n such.

Magic bevel does some good "viney" like mesh creation, but it isn't "sticky", so it doesn't follow any existing geometry at all.

Wonder if anyone ever did a lw tutorial for something like this anywhere?

rakker16mm
01-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Why not use cloth dynamics and then save transformed object in layout?

gareee
01-30-2009, 07:19 PM
I've never tried anything like that. Is there a tutorial on it anywhere? Mighty be a good trick to learn.

RonB
01-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Take the surface of the tree itself and select a series of points to create the path of the vine and it's branches. Copy the points to a second layer and use the Stretch tool to offset the points from the surface as needed, depending on the thickness of the vine. Create an open curve and use that to Rail Extrude the vine. Do the same for the branches and attach them to the main vine.

You can use a variety of tools to create smaller branches for leaves, the Magic Whatever thingy works well. I would use Pawel Olas' Leaves Generator to create the leaves.

That's how I do it...I use this same technique for barrel stays, rocket body ribs and rings, veins...anything that courses along an object

Cheers, Ron

gareee
01-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Sounds simple enuff.. time to play with some seldom used tools.. ;)

I always wonder what tool I rarely use might have some awesome uses.

SplineGod
01-30-2009, 09:13 PM
You might find this video useful:
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1248/Growing_Vine/

gareee
01-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Probably overkill for my current task, but it definitely was worth watching!