PDA

View Full Version : Something is running in the background. Not sure what it is.

INOV8Pro
08-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Hey all:

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a VT2 running on the following system:

P4DC6+ Motherboard
RTRX Medea 480 Raid
Windows XP
1 Gig RDRAM
NVidea GeForce 4600 Ti video card
Dual 2.4Ghz Xeon Cpu

It would seem that something is running in the background. This does not happen all the time but it happens a lot. Sometimes I can see the LEDs flashing very quickly on my Medea Raid even when nothing is happening on the timeline. I've checked the Task Manager and no apps are running in the background besides the VT. Any ideas what this might be? It has happened on occassion outside of VT use.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Paul Lara
08-12-2003, 02:25 PM
What are you doing in VT whilst the lights be a'flashin' ?

INOV8Pro
08-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Whilst the lights were flashing I was editing away in the VT in the TED and I noticed that sometimes I had difficulty in play back - even with a forced render. Than I noticed that the LEDs on my raid were flashing even though I was doing nothing in the timeline. Now it normally flashes when loading a project or when updating a change but this seems like it's caught in a loop or some other program is taking up CPU time. Perhaps Explorer? I was also sure that my we little mouse pointer was not on any bin so as not to activate a preview. I also had the CG open on another desktop so as to do titles. The switcher and one Toaster vision was also open on my TED and CG desktops.

Perhaps you could help me kill this Gremlin. It is a sneaky little fellow that appears at the worst time. I've noticed that after opening the VT2 the wintrme.exe comes back even though I hit end task in the task manager. Could this be the problam?

Thanks to all yee Gremlin killers.

Paul

Scott Bates
08-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Has this always happened or just started recently? If the latter and if you haven't tried it already, shut down and pull the plug on the entire system and let it rest for awhile. That's fixed a number of unexplainable problems for me.

mgrusin
08-13-2003, 09:59 AM
Drive indexing? (should be turned off by Newtek's autoconfig, may have been turned back on by something else?)

Bring up Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del), choose the Applications tab, and see if anything besides Toaster is running. You can also look at the Processes tab, but its hard to interpret since a lot of those are normal. But if you look at the processes tab while your event is occuring, the culprit may have increased CPU usage.

Good luck, -MG

INOV8Pro
08-13-2003, 12:35 PM
How do I check to see if drive indexing is off?

Thanks

Paul

vip3dran
08-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by INOV8Pro
How do I check to see if drive indexing is off?

You can do this from the windows desktop by double clicking on 'my computer' and then right-click/properties your video drive.

INOV8Pro
08-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Paul

INOV8Pro
08-13-2003, 12:56 PM
It would appear that the Indexing service was on. When I clicked it off it gave me another option. Which do I choose?

Option: Apply change to my video drive only or apply to subfolders and files as well?

Let me know.

Thanks

Paul

ScorpioProd
08-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Everything. Drive, subfolders, files.

INOV8Pro
08-13-2003, 02:17 PM
:D Thanks everyone. Hopefully this will do it.

Paul