PDA

View Full Version : Lw must have this!

jaxtone
01-30-2009, 06:37 AM
I get the cramps with the sad old process that involves Lightwave´s parent and child relation. Actually it would be better in a lot of action processes in the LW interface if NT offered interactivity instead of "the old school thinking" that includes "workarounds" till you drop dead!

Old example:
Each time you want to parent an object to another you have to do it with either Scene Editor or the Motion Option Panel! It´s frustrating when you have thousands of object to waste time on an endless rolling list of items in the scene! I know that some people that are raised with that old work model are pleased with it as it is, but I am not though I realize that I lose time in projects while using the old work routine!

Wouldn´t it be better to make the parent process interative instead? With a few mouse clicks on the item you want to parent or expell from it´s parental situation in the scene you can be up and running with a scene in no time at all! For the choice where you want no Parent at all why not just add a feature where you click in an empty space either somewhere in GUI or between the wireframes in the scene?

Weetos
01-30-2009, 07:02 AM
You can set parent-child relationship with mouse clicks in the schematic view. Select the child and ctrl-left-click the parent. done

clagman
01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
I think most people don't use/know the schematic view; works pretty well. Still Jaxtone has hit upon it I think. It would be nice to have that select and then ctrl+shift and drag to the parent without dealing with the scene editor. I like to have these sort of things all built into the display GUI. It's a lot like having animated tools in modeler so you don't have to work in a dialog box as much.

Weetos
01-30-2009, 08:54 AM
I like to have these sort of things all built into the display GUI.
Quoted for agreement.

It's true this should be available whatever view you work in - as the schematic view is ... well... say not quite finished.

GraphXs
02-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I agree, parenting objects should work in any window type. I often wonder why such a simple process was never implimented. Maybe "Core"...

jaxtone
02-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Wow! I am so glad that at least some of you see the the usual work around lovers haven´t seen this thread yet!

From day one with Lightwave 1996 I noticed that in fact there seems to excist a lot of masochists among especially old Lightwave users! :D

I agree there is already an option to use this feature in the Schematic View for this matter! But in my opinion since the doable solution is already in the system so to say, why would it be so hard to conform this command information into the different view panels and to connect each command in the Schematic View to include the action in single mouse clicks or optional keyboard short cuts?

This would probably already have been done similar to many other workarounds in Lightwave if there wasn´t so many users that actually enjoy the pain in doing stuff the hard way all the time!

To me Lightwave isn´t about narcissism, therapy or just a hobby, it´s a actually just another job. But someone has to do it and as any other job, why lose time in pointless procedures just because it´s possible to do things backwards?

I agree, parenting objects should work in any window type. I often wonder why such a simple process was never implimented. Maybe "Core"...

lwanmtr
02-02-2009, 01:08 AM
even easier would be select object, shift-select parent then hit 'p'

evenflcw
02-02-2009, 01:20 AM
What lwanmtr said!

This will be easy to add and a viable solution once LW allows the user to select items of different types simultaneously. NT needs to embrace, respect and take advantage of selection order!

kevman3d
02-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Try this attachment... Its late here so I whipped it up quickly, but it seems to work fine (the script is un-compiled so feel free to toy with it if it needs a tweak or two). I gotta hit the sack...

Add it as a plugin (its an LScript)
Edit > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts
Assign the Plugin to a keyboard shortcut (ALT-p for instance)
Shift-select all the children (it can do multiple), then the item to Parent to...
Press the keyboard shortcut to run the script... Tada!

Nice and easy. :thumbsup:

infinityloop
02-03-2009, 03:12 AM
in my opinion, the GUI of layouter and modeler could need a big rework to improve useability and shorten the time to get "X" done.

Weetos
02-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Try this attachment... Its late here so I whipped it up quickly, but it seems to work fine (the script is un-compiled so feel free to toy with it if it needs a tweak or two). I gotta hit the sack...

Wonderful ! Thanks for sharing ! :clap: :clap:

clagman
02-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Easy Jax ;o) LW has it's limitations to be sure. I think the main reason that people do these work arounds is simply because they either have so much time invested and don't want to jump ship to learn another software package, or they can't afford more software. LW is probably the best bang for the buck you can get currently. Just the fact that you can "work around" a lot of the limitations is fantastic. I've worked at other software that you just had to admit defeat a lot.

That being said I can't wait to see whats in store with X. Who knows Jax maybe a lot of these issues you've brought up will get addressed. I know lots of folks mentioned snapping in layout and got it with a point release (even though not a complete solution still pretty alright).

erikals
02-14-2009, 09:44 AM

Add it as a plugin (its an LScript)
Edit > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts
Assign the Plugin to a keyboard shortcut (ALT-p for instance)
Shift-select all the children (it can do multiple), then the item to Parent to...
Press the keyboard shortcut to run the script... Tada!

Sweet...
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/625/233345-cartman1_small.gif

probiner
02-14-2009, 03:28 PM
The Ls script is great.
But you still have to check if it was done and to do that whether you go to schematics view, or move the object to see what follows.
But when you working with nameless items, and you just want to speed doodle, its faster with the plugin than select them from a list not knowing for sure what is and have to know wich item is the intended parent.
:thumbsup: